Monday, October 10, 2022

MONDAY RECIPE POST - CABBAGE SOUP - SERVES 6

We love soup in our house.  As soon as the weather turns chillier, the search is on.  We have several favorites we make, and enjoy trying different recipes, finding this one at Eating Well. The original version is at this link.  

There are a variety of different Cabbage Soups in our make-again folder, but anything that has even the slightest variation, the motto is ‘lets give it a try’.  

Though not necessarily looking for a weight loss cabbage soup, we love anything with cabbage and as long as it sounds good, it is added to the collection.   Also, always interested in adding extra veggies to our daily mealtimes.


Weight Loss Cabbage Soup 


Serves: 6  

Serving size: about 2 cups

Calories: 133 calories per serving


2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 medium onion, chopped

2 medium carrots, chopped

2 stalks celery, chopped

1 medium red bell pepper, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1-1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning

½ teaspoon ground pepper

¼ teaspoon salt

8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth

1 medium head green cabbage, halved and sliced

1 tomato, chopped

2 teaspoons white wine vinegar


Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables begin to soften, 6 to 8 minutes. Add bell pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning, pepper and salt and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.

Add broth, cabbage and tomato; increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, partially cover and cook until all the vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar.


There was half a box of Bowtie Pasta left in the pantry from another meal.  Not wanting to have all the broth absorbed after deciding to cook the pasta, and not having extra broth which I could have added to compensate, not wanting to add water in case it diluted the taste, the pasta was cooked separately and then added to the soup just before serving.  The pasta would have absorbed the flavor of the broth, only adding to the goodness. Next time this is made, I will remember to add pasta and cook as suggested, plus a cup or two of extra broth.

I sprinkled chopped parsley on mine, but it was suggested to add grated cheese also.  I would like Cheddar or Parmesan.

We didn't have a crusty roll. I thought I would make a batch of cornbread to serve with our next meal.  It is quite a hardy soup - you can eat it on its own.

I will add two more carrots, and a container of sliced mushrooms.  An extra tomato would be nice.

We both thought the Italian Seasoning was perfect.  It gave a nice subtle flavor to the broth.

We didn't add the vinegar to the pot as suggested, instead adding a small splash over our soup and stirred in at the table.  It was nice but be careful not to add too much.  For our own taste we definitely preferred it that way.  We often add vinegar to other cabbage meals.  

Not having any white wine vinegar, we used rice wine vinegar.

There are enough leftovers to last a few days.  I read on the original that you can make it four days ahead and stored in the refrigerator.  You can freeze up to 3 months and the suggestion was to portion them in individual sized containers, for ease of grab and go.  (I ended up freezing two containers for later.)

If you prefer the original website address instead of using the link, I have remembered to add it for you.  

https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/269488/cabbage-diet-soup/






41 comments:

  1. It sounds good - but I am a fan of cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understand completely Sue, thank you :) It's not everyone's cup of tea.

      Delete
  2. It looks light, yet very fresh and flavourful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. I love soups as you know. I had the best cabbage soup when I was in Ireland...this sounds pretty much like it! I will try it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anni and I bet that was a great soup :)

      Delete
  4. That looks like a dish I had in restaurants! Very earthy soup I reckon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roentare, it was one of our favorites.

      Delete
  5. Hello Denise :=)
    My daughter Eva makes this soup regularly when she comes to see me on Tuesday's and Saturday's, and we both enjoy it. She sometimes makes it her own, by adding extra vegetables.

    I once tried the slimming cabbage soup but couldn't keep it up, and after a while had to stop. but I believe it does make one lose weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be lovely Breathtaking. How very nice that Eva makes you a soup so often. Bet it tastes delicious! I think I tried the same as you, but even I get tired of cabbage :)

      Delete
  6. Hello,
    Looks yummy, I love most soups. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, me too. You take care and enjoy your day also :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Obrigada, ficou uma delícia :) Um abraço e uma boa semana.

      Delete
  8. It’s definitely soup weather, Denise, and I made two different ones last week, cauliflower and a zucchini vegetable minestrone. This cabbage soup looked good, but Grenville is not a fan of cabbage, so may have to make substitutes. And, there is definitely nothing like a fresh baked bread to go with soup…a perfect dinner for usas well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely Dorothy, yours sound wonderful :) Not everyone likes cabbage. Fortunately Gregg and I always have. Freshly baked bread would be very yummy!

      Delete
  9. YUM. I don't know if the recipe I have is the same one but it's definitely similar. I haven't made it for a couple years now but it sure was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann :) We have tried at least four variations on cabbage soup and have enjoyed them all.

      Delete
  10. Looking at this cabbage soup reminds me I haven't made Borsch for a while. Have a wonderful new week, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time I had Borsch was when family took us to this neat restaurant in North Dakota. I haven't had it since so I am way overdue for a bowl of Borsch :) If you have a recipe Ellen I hope you post it sometime :) Pretty please and thank you!

      Delete
  11. I love cabbage soup, and used to make it once a week. Then I found out I was intolerant to cabbage! That may have explained my I.B.S. But I can still taste it in my mind, and this soup looks wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, that wouldn't do at all, I am sorry to hear that Ginny :( I didn't realize you suffered from IBS either. Sorry about that too, just like Sandra?

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thank you Christine :) I am already looking around for another soup recipe, maybe going back to one of our favorites. A request from hubs is that we make his favorite cheesy corn chowder.

      Delete
    2. Denise, you don't list tomato in your ingredient list, was just copying down the recipe!

      Delete
    3. Thank you for letting me know Christine, much appreciated :) I have added it to the ingredients.

      Delete
  13. Yummy yum yum! I was raised on cabbage! Daddy made all our food and cabbage and three different kinds of greens were always on the table not all at one time but whatever was in season

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Daddy and mine sounded very alike Sandra. He grew all his own veggies and he said the best nurturing for his garden was liquid sunshine. We used to get enough rain in the growing season that we didn't have to worry about them getting thirsty :)

      Delete
  14. We are definitely in soup season :)
    A lovey mix of vegetables in this cabbage soup.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely Jan :) Thank you and all the best to you also :)

      Delete
  15. Thank you for sharing your tried and tested recipes. Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cloudia and you are so very welcome :)

      Delete
  16. I remember when some version of that soup was quite the diet fad. Several of my friends were sort of almost living on it! It sounds good though now. I made pumpkin-peanut soup last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several of my friends were on the cabbage diet too. Your pumpkin-peanut soup sounds delicious. Hope you will share the recipe some time, pretty please :)

      Delete
  17. Уважаемая Светлана Ефанова, мне очень жаль, что я случайно удалила Ваш комментарий. Я надеюсь, что вы приедете снова и оставить мне еще один. Иногда я нажимаю не на те кнопки, потому что иногда мои пальцы работают быстрее, чем мой мозг.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!