Thursday, October 20, 2022

GREAT BLUE HERON AT MEADOWLARK GARDENS

 I won’t be visiting over the next few days, as I will not have a lot of computer time.  I have my posts set up daily, so thanks in advance for leaving any comments.  I will catch up with you next week.    

This is a repeat share from 2015.

This is the first time we had seen a Great Blue Heron on our walk to one of our favorite spots in the garden.  We felt we lucked out to be there at the same time.   
He was so focused!
Did you know herons spend 90% of their waking hours stalking for food?
There are five subspecies of Great Blue Herons.
Their colonies can consist of 500 or more individual nests, with multiple nests per tree built 100 or more feet up in the air.  
They also will nest on the ground, on bushes, in mangroves, and on structures such as duck blinds, channel markers or artificial nest platforms.    
They typically lay 2 to 6 pale bluish eggs, measuring around 2 x 3 inches.  During incubation, the eggs fade to white.  
Still focused on catching dinner.  Great blue herons can hunt for food during both the daylight hours as well as during the night.
He got tired of waiting at that fishing spot...
as he took off...
and relocated...
to the other side of the pond.
We left him to continue our walk, having sat on a bench for some time observing him.  Nature truly is a marvelous part of our surroundings.







28 comments:

  1. They are stunningly beautiful birds. Thank you for sharing the wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT?! FIVE species of Great blues?? I never!! you got great pics. I have seen many of them, but have never been able to get a flight shot, that is so hard to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that should have read five sub species of Great Blue Herons Ginny. Sorry about that :) I have since corrected the info. The article I read did say five species but I believe they should have said sub species instead. I should have done a little more research at the original time I put this together.

      Delete
  3. Lovely shots of the Heron and information too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, happy you found it interesting.

      Delete
  4. A fantastic series of heron portraits in a lovely looking pond!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you roentare, he was very cooperative :)

      Delete
  5. Wonderful photos. How fun to watch him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, it certainly was fun. I enjoyed it very much :)

      Delete
  6. WOW! Incredible photography, Denise ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
    Hugs and blessings ๐Ÿ’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veronica Lee :) Hugs and blessings to you also :)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful captures of the Heron. I love to sit and watch these lovely birds. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, much appreciated :) They are fun to watch aren't they? You take care and enjoy your day also.

      Delete
  8. Such an elegant bird! Those are some great shots,Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Angie, I have always thought they were an elegant bird. Thank you :)

      Delete
  9. I might need this Heron to come down here and teach me some ways to be focused haha. I love those droopy Wings when they take off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra and I need that too, but you more so with all that you have been dealing with after the hurricane. Hope things are improving.

      Delete
  10. I hope your absence is for fun!!
    I love GBH... but I didn't know they hunt at night!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was Anni, a wonderful wedding :) Those birds are amazing aren't they? I love them too.

      Delete
  11. Love Herons they are such lovely birds. Great photos. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, so glad you enjoyed and cheers to you too :)

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. I can undeerstand, they totally fascinate me too :) Thanks William!

      Delete
  13. I love these beautiful graceful photos, Denise! Such beauty you captured!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Martha Ellen and thank you :) Such a beautiful subject to capture and he made it easy as he stayed so still for a very long time.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!