Tuesday, October 25, 2022

LONG WEEKEND IN WILLIAMSBURG - BRUTON PARISH CHURCH IN COLONIAL WILLIAMSBURG, VIRGINIA

 Gregg and I were in Williamsburg from Thursday to Sunday.  We were there to join in the celebration of a nephew getting married.  The Bride and Groom had glorious weather and it was a wonderful gathering of family and friends. 

Not wanting to drive up on the same day as the wedding rehearsal, we left 24 hours earlier and was able to enjoy a leisurely walk around Colonial Williamsburg.  It has always been one of our favorite places.  We have taken many people who visited, from both sides of our family, friends also, all of whom enjoyed it tremendously.  Most of Gregg's immediate family have lived not so far away since the 60s. I have been coming here off and on since we were married, as we only lived an hour's drive away for several years. Even now it is only a short three-hour drive.

I saw the above artwork on the wall of one of the gift shops. I thought it was delightful!
The painting shows part of The Bruton Parish Church, which was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1970 as a well-preserved early example of colonial religious architecture.  
The church was named after Bruton in the County of Somerset, England.  The name honored the prominent Ludwell family and Governor Sir William Berkeley whose ancestral homes were from Bruton.  It traces its roots back to both the Church of England and the new settlement of the Colony of Virginia at Jamestown in the early 17th century.
There is a lot of history at this website also.  It says it was the first Anglican church built in 1660, and its first rector was Reverend Rowland Jones.

In 1761, merchant James Tarpley presented the church with a bell. Bids for a steeple or belfry to house the bell were let on January 1, 1769. The vestry awarded a £410 contract for a brick tower surmounted by a wooden octagon and for miscellaneous repairs, to Benjamin Powell that September 14. The addition can be seen from outside the church, as the steeple bricks have a darker color than the salmon-hued bricks of the rest of the church. Tarpley's bell is still in use.

From this website, I read that among the Williamsburg notables buried beneath the marble flagstones inside the church was Governor Francis Fauquier, one of the best loved of the colonial governors, who died in 1768. 
The same year an English organ was installed. Gaolkeeper Peter Pelham was hired to play it for £25 a year, a position he held until about 1802. Pelham brought to church with him a prisoner from the Gaol, whose job it was to pump the instrument. The organ remained in service until 1835. The present organ, the church's fourth, was presented by John D. Rockefeller Jr. in 1954.

There is a lot more interesting history at the links provided above.  I will have more posts of our time in Williamsburg when I can put them together.




34 comments:

  1. What a lovely reason to go away for the weekend. And what a lovely venue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sue, yes it was a beautiful wedding in every way. Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. I so appreciate this walk through colonial times. The architecture is wearing red brick Philadelphia of my childhood. Glad it was lovely. Wishing you both all the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! Thank you so much Cloudia. I know what you mean as we visited Philadelphia several years ago. We with you all the best also :)

      Delete
  3. I ❤️ our colonial history. And enjoyed your pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an interest that grows and grows with me Anni, and it is lovely to see these places and find out the history behind them. I learned a few of my ancestors came over in colonial times too, and since, which was a lovely surprise when Gregg got interested in genealogy. I don't think my parents knew that either.

      Delete
  4. Good idea going a day early. I would love walking around a place like that. I love the art work from the first and second picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, we felt so too and we can take things slowly, which is what we are inclined to do these days :) It's beautiful artwork isn't it?

      Delete
  5. Hello,
    Williamsburg is a lovely place for a wedding. Beautiful photos, the church is lovely.
    Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, you too and I agree :) They chose the perfect setting, and I am very happy they had perfect weather too.

      Delete
  6. it is so beautiful and I would love to visit it too. the first thing I noticed in every photo is how the beautiful sunshine enhanced all the buildings and doors. good idea to go early and have a walkabout photoshoot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree Sandra, it is a wonderful place and you would like the fact that it is so dog friendly :)

      Delete
  7. You know I love Colonial Williamsburg, Denise. And I love seeing your beautiful photos of Bruton Parish Church and commentary as well. I look forward to reading your future posts about a favorite of ours as well. I've been posting about too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do Martha, kindred spirits we are :) Glad you enjoyed the photos. It was fun taking them, and I look forward to seeing yours also.

      Delete
  8. My favorite ones are the church with the pretty tree in front. At first it looks like pretty pink blossoms, but of course it is fall leaves. I don't think I have ever been there, but we live about the same distance from it that you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, the leaves were beautiful and I took up-close ones too which I will share next time :)

      Delete
  9. Wonderful shots. There was a photo blogger who used to live in the area and featured Williamsburg year round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you William :) I remember that blogger from Williamsburg. I used to enjoy their photos very much.

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed reading about the history in this blog post. A wedding is a happy occasion so glad you could attend. The architecture is beautiful. I like the photo of the sign with the deer head and I guess apple trees as Somerset is famous for cider. It led me to look up information about Bruton in Somerset, England and the link with that English county. You had good weather for your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed Linda, and thank you. I remember having a glass of Somerset cider, delicious and refreshing :) It was the first time I learned of the connection to Somerset. Always happy to find these things out. Yes, we had great weather, perfect! The only time it rained was on our way home but not so much, only a sprinkle.

      Delete
  11. Lovely area and a wonderful occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful town to gather for a wedding! Looks amazing. I would enjoy poking around there. I was just at Martha Ellen's blog and she and her husband were in Williamsburg for 10 days celebrating their 55th wedding anniversary. Congratulations to your nephew and his bride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen, I have always thought it is the perfect place for a wedding and anniversary celebrations. We were there for our other nephew's wedding last year. I have been over to Martha Ellen's blog and loved her post on Williamsburg. Such a coincidence and I would have been so happy to see Martha Ellen and her hubby walking down the same road :)

      Delete
  13. I haven't been to Williamsburg in ages but it's a place I've always loved and seeing your photos brings back lovely memories. Happy Anniversary to you both -- what a great way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanie, it's a wonderful place isn't it? It was Martha Ellen's 55th wedding anniversary celebration, and a wedding for us. A happy coincidence that we were there at the same time and didn't even know it.

      Delete
  14. You've been lucky to live so close to family most of your life. Getting together for the milestones is so important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hubby's side of the family who live not so far away, and my family live across the pond. But we have been blessed to have Gregg's family close enough to visit when we can. Also have been fortunate in years past to have my family over. Great memories!

      Delete
  15. Interesting post. Williamsburg is a unique town.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!