Monday, October 24, 2022

MONDAY RECIPE POST - HOMEMADE APPLE DUMPLINGS

We have just returned from a long weekend to Williamsburg, Virginia.  The weather was gorgeous and the only time it rained was yesterday, on our journey home. It was a sprinkle and didn’t last long.  When the traffic became heavy on the freeway, we detoured on country roads for most of the way home.  Thank you for stopping by and for all your lovely comments.  I will be catching up with you in the next few days.  


I don't make too many desserts, but Gregg and I were talking the other day, and he told me he wouldn't mind having apple dumplings one night.  He used to get them years ago, a few years before he met me, and that at one time they had been his favorite dessert.  

So, it had been a while, I had this thought mulling around in my head for a couple of weeks, and I asked him if he would like me to make his apple dumpling. I didn't need to ask twice.  We immediately made the grocery list and bought what we needed that day, and he once again joined me in the kitchen.  It was fun putting this together.    

I found a recipe at Bunnyswarmkitchen.com and the original recipe is at this link.  Her last recipe posted was in August 2020, but she has been kind enough to keep her blog open. If you visit the website you will see her photos make these apples look like a work of art.  I haven't formed pastry around an apple since my home economics class back in the day, and I need a lot more practice.  But oh, my goodness, they might not have looked as pretty, but they tasted fantastic and thank you Bunny!

There is a video 'how-to' at Bunny's website for quick reference.


Homemade Apple Dumplings: serves 6

 

Sauce Ingredients:

1 cup sugar

1 cup water

1 teaspoon cinnamon

2 tablespoons butter


Dough Ingredients:

2 cups all flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoons salt

2/3 cup Crisco shortening

1/2 cup milk


6 small Macintosh or Gala Apples about 3 inches in diameter 


Make the sauce first so it has time to cool down.

Make the dough and refrigerate until you have peeled and cored your apples.


Sauce Directions:

Put all the sauce ingredients together in a medium saucepan. 

When it comes to a boil, let it boil a minute or two to thicken a little bit.


For the dough:

Place the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Cut the shortening into the flour mixture with a pastry blender.  Add milk all at once. Stir with a fork until the dough just forms a ball. Place in the refrigerator until you have peeled and cored the apples.

Peel and core the apples. You can keep the apples from turning brown by placing them in cold water while you work.

Divide dough into six equal portions and roll them out on a lightly floured surface individually. You can also roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface long enough to fit 6 apples on it and cut the dough into six squares.

Place the apples on a dough square, fill the center with butter, sprinkle sugar over top then sprinkle cinnamon over top.

Mold the dough around the apple, making sure there are no opening for the filling to escape from. 

Place the apples in a 13x9 inch baking pan. 

Space them about an inch apart. 

Pour the sauce over the dumplings , then sprinkle with sugar. 

Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 35 minutes. 

Spoon the sauce on the bottom of the pan over the apple dumplings after they come out of the oven.


If you prefer to cut and paste instead of clicking on the above link at the beginning of this post, here is the address.

https://bunnyswarmoven.net/homemade-apple-dumplings



What did we think?  Definitely a 10 out of 10.  We made a few changes.  I had a packet of puff pastry in the freezer, which I used instead of making the pastry in the recipe.  I wondered about the puff pastry instead of the shortcrust, and suggested that I make shortcrust next time.  "Nope" said Co-Chef, definitely use this again.  

There is more than enough dessert for two people with one apple dumpling.  We cut the ingredients in half and only made three.  We will share the third tomorrow.

I used a smaller dish that was big enough for the three dumplings, but did not allow a one-inch space as suggested in Bunny's recipe.  The dough expanded as expected and wasn't as nicely browned in those areas that touched.  This did not detract from the taste but I will follow the instructions next time.

We added a scoop of vanilla ice cream which was excellent, but Co-Chef mentioned how nice it would be to make a Rum Sauce.  That's what he remembered from his younger years.  He was 18 years' old when he first ate his apple dumplings. 

I thought it was going to be a hard act to follow.  More often than not, our memories of those favorite dishes in our youth, are hard to compete with.  However, this one did and I am happy it met up to expectations.

Bon Appétit Everyone!




40 comments:

  1. Yum, this is so autumn!! My grandmother used to love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, and that's lovely about your grandmother making these. I used to make the baked apples at home with brown sugar and raisins inside, without the pastry :)

      Delete
  2. Really nice! I've made my grandmother's recipe which is really similar. I started in junior high, and have made them through the years. Her kids (my aunt, uncle and Dad) loved it when I made them because they had them in childhood. I've even shipped them or met relatives coming through our airport to hand them to enjoy when they got home. I made them for two guys I was dating, and they asked me to marry them! Should have made them for the correct guy! I use Granny Smith apples, but they're sometimes too big. I've even thrown all the ingredients into a 13.9 pan and made "tossed dumplings." Hooray for real apple dumplings. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, I enjoyed reading about all your memories. Funny how food now can sometimes send us down memory lane :) Tossed dumplings? Hope you tell me the recipe sometime.

      Delete
  3. I am so very glad that you both enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a very yummy Fall dessert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One I haven't had in I can't remember when (maybe before marriage at least). Thanks Angie :)

      Delete
  5. I just made them the other day. Only, I use pie crust dough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a simple recipe. I am giving it a go tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The apple dumpling looks yummy, even more with the ice cream. Enjoy your day, have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, yes, ice cream is a great pairing :) Wishing you the same :)

      Delete
  8. The apple dumpling sure does look good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. bob talks about his mothers apple dumplings all the time, this looks like what he describes, now all he needs is a wife that cooks or a chef.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always give me a chuckle Sandra, and I know well from other comments, you don't like to cook :) I have to feel in the mood. It's bacon, lettuce and tomato toasted sandwiches tonight :)

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you Christine :) It was so long since I had these I can't remember the last time :)

      Delete
  11. sounds so good as we near the end of apple season. i love gala apples and they are readily available now. your desert looks so yummy...i did follow the link and they look so sweet shaped like apples too. i was able to pin it, i will definitely make these!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, let me know what you think of them Debbie :) Would love to know.

      Delete
  12. My goodness, my mouth is watering Denise! Your dumpling is beautiful. Rum sauce sounds like a great accompaniment, but ice cream would make me happy as well. We were in Colonial Williamsburg and returned last Wednesday. Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too Martha Ellen, must be time for dinner, lol! I was very happy to see your Williamsburg photos, lovely to see the place through your camera lens. Looked like you had a fabulous time. Happy Anniversary again!!!!

      Delete
  13. This recipe does look delicious, Denise, and perfect for the season. I plan to watch the video as I have never made apple dumplings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think of them if you end up making them Dorothy :)

      Delete
  14. Oh gracious! You have me salivating right now. My sister-in-law made this for us a long time ago and I don't think we've had it since.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pleased you had a lovely long weekend in Williamsburg, Virginia.
    The recipe looks extremely yummy :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, we had a great time and glad you liked the look of this recipe. All the best to you too :)

      Delete
  16. This sounds like a great recipe especially using the puff pastry! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen and you are very welcome. I did enjoy the puff pastry :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!