Monday, October 31, 2022

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!



"Will you walk into my parlour?" said the Spider to the Fly?

"Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;

The way into my parlour is up a winding stair, 

And I have many curious things to shew when you are there."

"Oh no, no," said the little Fly, "to ask me is in vain, 

For who goes up your winding stair can ne'er come down again."

"I'm sure you must be weary, dear, with soaring up so high;

Will you rest upon my little bed?" said the Spider to the Fly.

"There are pretty curtains drawn around; the sheets are fine and thin,

And if you like to rest awhile, I'll snugly tuck you in."

"Oh no, no," said the little Fly, "for I've often heard it said,

They never, never wake up again, who sleep upon your bed!"

Said the cunning Spider to the Fly, "Dear friend

To prove the warm affection I've always felt for you?

I have within my pantry, good store of all that's nice;

I'm sure you're very welcome - will you please to take a slice?"

"Oh no, no," said the little Fly, "kind sir, that cannot be, 

I've heard what's in your pantry, and I do not wish to see."

"Sweet creature!" said the Spider, "you're witty and you're wise,

How handsome are your gauzy wings, how brilliant are your eyes!

I've a little looking-glass upon my parlour shelf,

If you'll step in one moment, dear, you shall behold yourself."

"I thank you, gentle sir," she said, "for what you're pleased to say,

And bidding you good morning now, I'll call another day."

The Spider turned him round about, and went into his den,

For well he knew the silly Fly would soon come back again:

So he wove a subtle web, in a little corner sly,

Then he came out to his door again, and merrily did sing,

"Come hither, hither, pretty Fly, with the pearl and silver wing;

Your robes are green and purple - there's a crest upon your head;

Your eyes are like the diamonds bright, but mine are dull as lead!"

Alas, alas! how very soon this silly little Fly,

Hearing his wily, flattering words, came slowly flitting by;

With buzzing wings she hung aloft, then near and nearer drew,

Thinking only of her brilliant eyes, and green and purple hue -

Thinking only of her crested head - poor foolish thing!  At last,

Up jumped the cunning Spider, and fiercely held her fast.

He dragged her up his winding stair, into his dismal den,

Within his little parlour - but she ne'er came out again!

And now dear little children, who may this story read,

To idle, silly flattering words, I pray you ne'er give heed:

Unto an evil counsellor, close heart and ear and eye,

And take a lesson from this tale, of the Spider and the Fly.


The Spider and the Fly (1829)

by 

Mary Howitt






Thanks for stopping by!
From our house to yours, my family and I 
would like to wish you all 
A Very Happy and Safe Halloween








Mary Howitt was born Mary Botham on March 17th, 1799, in Coleford, Gloucestershire, England, and died on January 1888 (aged 88) in Rome, Kingdom of Italy.  She was an English poet, the author of the famous poem The Spider and the Fly.  She translated several tales by Hans Christian Andersen. Some of her works were written in conjunction with her husband, William Howitt.  Many, in verse and prose, were intended for young people.



The first photo is one I took in our neighborhood, in the dark with my cell phone.  I used my ArtCard app to turn it into a painting, and added several themed graphics I found at pixabay.com. 

Our family photo was taken after son dropped in for a visit.  Selfie ensued and I once again played with my apps after he left. 


(My Monday Morning Recipe will be posted tomorrow instead.)





40 comments:

  1. Wow, WOW, what a special post!! I never knew this poem had more then the first verse, and read it all eagerly! Then I read it aloud to Phil. And your photos, you are a master editor!!! Will you get many trick-or-treaters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, so glad you liked it enough to read to Phil :) The apps we use make it easy :) We usually get about 20 trick-or-treaters. The bag of candy is ready and waiting.

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed the poem, it's a good one..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the poem - parts of which were often recited when I was growing up.
    Happy Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, I well remember that. Happy Halloween to you too :)

      Delete
  4. You are very clever with your editing. Happy halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, it's fun to use them. Happy Halloween :)

      Delete
  5. Happy Halloween! The poetry was putting me in an English classroom somewhat. Very poetic lol. Thanks for the special post. I feel a bit more cultured now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and Happy Halloween Roentare. You are very welcome :) I have always enjoyed reading poetry, but it was a long time since the last I read this.

      Delete
  6. Pure POEtry today. To be honest, I didn't know there was more to this. You gave me an education.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anni and thank you :) It is a long one isn't it? :)

      Delete
  7. You too have a fun and safe celebration, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Halloween Denise! Love the poem and your photo. Take care, enjoy your day. Have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Halloween Eileen, and thank you :) I wish you the same!

      Delete
  9. Love this. I have never seen the whole poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one that isn't seen that often in its entirety. Thanks Ann :)

      Delete
  10. Happy Halloween to you as well, Denise & Gregg, and thanks for the poem which was a good choice, and also for the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Silly fly! Smart spider! And I knew there was a reason I don't like spiders! This is the first time I've ever read the entire poem I've only heard pieces of it in the past

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, I don't mind spiders. I just don't like being startled by them :))) It's been a long time since I read the whole poem.

      Delete
  12. Mary gave these insects human characteristics to teach a basic lesson to children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful teacher Mary must have been :)

      Delete
  13. Happy Halloween! No kids come to our house any more. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Halloween to you also Gigi :) We go through cycles of how many children we have. Not many in the last few years for obvious reasons, so I'm thinking maybe 20 or so tonight. We'll have to wait and see :)

      Delete
  14. A very good warning indeed!! Happy Halloween to you. Hope you get lots of treats and no tricks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is great!! Happy Halloween to you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great post for Halloween.
    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Halloween! Flattery is an old trick yet people still fall for it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!