Tuesday, November 1, 2022

MONDAY RECIPE POST ON A TUESDAY, DUE TO HALLOWEEN LAST NIGHT - AN OMELET OF SORTS, MIXED WITH OATS


My recipe today came from a YouTuber called "Recipes Arabe".  It was described as such: "This recipe will relieve fatigue and make you as strong as a horse."  Though I was still fatigued and felt as strong as a flea (not a morning person), I gave it a 10 out of 10.  It was delicious and very satisfying.  I will be making it again.  

The ingredients below are for one person.  Easy to double up though.  One is enough for two if you serve it with a side of fruit, or a couple of rashers of bacon and toast, or any favorite sides.  
As always, I recommend going to the original on YouTube. That omelet looks nothing like mine, and I want you to get a clearer picture of what it should look like.  You can find it here.


Ingredients used by Recipes Arabe:

4 tablespoons oat flakes.

3 eggs.

Salt

Black pepper.

50 ml of milk.

2 Tomatoes.

Olive oil.

Mozzarella (optional)



Ingredients I used:


1/4 cup of Old-Fashioned Oats

2 Eggs

Salt and Pepper to taste

1/4 cup Greek Yogurt

1-1/2 ozs. Cheddar Cheese

1/2 cup chopped Yellow Onion

1/4 cup Deli Ham, diced

3 slices Beefsteak Tomatoes

2 teaspoons of olive oil (I used Avocado cooking spray)

Siracha (optional)


You can change these ingredients around to suit your own taste.

This is how I made mine but again, I recommend looking at the video to see if you prefer doing it their way.

I measured out all the ingredients and had them ready to go.

Beat the eggs until well mixed.

Add salt and pepper to taste. 

Add yogurt, mix well.

Add the old-fashioned oats - or whatever oats you decide to use - to the eggs.  Mix them until the oats are well coated, and dunk them under the eggy liquid. This will soften them up some before you start cooking.

To the egg mixture I added the cheese and ham, mixing well.

Set aside while you heat the frying pan.  I used an 8-inch but could probably have done with a bigger pan.  It did keep the shape nice and round though.

Add oil (or cooking spray) and start frying your onions for two or three minutes until softened.

I started off on medium-high heat and adjusted down when I needed to.

Place the three slices of tomato in the pan on top of the onion, or slide onto the surface if you can get in between.  Cook those for a couple of minutes.  Flip them and continue for another minute or two.

Pour in the egg mixture so that it covers everything (you can use an extra egg if you want more volume but I spread mine around).  

Put a cover on top of the frying pan, so that the top will have a chance to set.  This was for a few minutes - keep an eye on the bottom to prevent burning.

Remove the cover and if you can flip the omelet without it falling apart, great!  What I did was I placed a plate on top of the pan, which should overlap your frying pan.  Carefully turn the frying pan upside down while holding the plate underneath (my frying pan is relatively light).  Operative word is ‘carefully’ as it is all very hot, especially the frying pan. The omelet should fall onto the plate.  Next, slide omelet back into the frying pan from the plate.  What was on the top should now be on the bottom.

Cook until nicely browned underneath, two or three minutes.  Again, check as you don't want it to burn.

All you need to do now is when cooked, carefully slide your omelet from the frying pan onto a plate and enjoy.

You can put extra cheese on the top, and also drizzle Siracha.  If you don't like the heat, you can leave the hot sauce off.

A sprig of parsley would be a nice addition, or sprinkle chopped parsley all over the top. I didn’t have any on this occasion.

I have left the full address below so that you can cut and paste if you prefer not using the link above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHVEudCM2gA

It looks like a pizza but it's eggy, it's an omelet. 

Did I notice any taste from the old-fashioned oatmeal?  Well, apart from the great taste of the omelet, not really but I was happy knowing it added extra, good-for-you fiber and other nutrients.  Because old-fashioned oatmeal contains the oat germ, it is rich in minerals, such as calcium, iron, phosphorus, potassium and zinc. The oat germ also provides many vitamins, including thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate and vitamin E.  Old-fashioned oatmeal also contains oat bran, a rich source of soluble fiber.  There is more good information at this link.   


I think that's about it but if I have left anything out that you find a puzzle, please let me know.  Always grateful for the help if I need anything corrected.


Thanks for stopping by,

have a great week and 

Bon Appétit!






32 comments:

  1. That does sound interesting. And nutricious. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting recipe, very unusual. I just may try it, it is intreguing! I am going to print it out for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did Ginny, I am going to make another one for breakfast tomorrow :) Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Sounds a nice dish. Interesting when you can add to dishes you see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so hearty for winter food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks and sounds like a good way to hide those oats

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chętnie wypróbuję ten przepis. Udanego tygodnia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tak się cieszę, że chcesz wypróbować mój przepis. Dziękuję i życzę miłego tygodnia :)

      Delete
  7. Sounds very hearty, it is an interesting recipe. Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too and for a while now I have been wanting to use oatmeal in recipes other than for breakfast and for cookies. This one seemed right up my street :) Thanks Eileen and I wish you the same.

      Delete
  8. YUM. I love a good omelet but have never been good at making them. I like your idea of flipping it onto a plate and then sliding it back into the pan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same way with my omelets Ann, but this technique worked out great for me. Thank you!

      Delete
  9. This is hands down one of the most unusual breakfast omelettes, Denise. Honestly not sure if I would try it, but nice to have your positive recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might take you by surprise Dorothy :) Gregg didn't like the idea of it either as he doesn't like oatmeal, but prepared this way you hardly notice, and yet you get the benefits. With some ingredients all it takes is a little camouflage. I got pretty good at that when my son was growing up, LOL!

      Delete
  10. I've never seen oats added to an omelette before, it sounds very nutritious and looks very filling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo and thank you :) It was something I had never done before either and I was pleasantly surprised.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Exactly what I thought when I found this recipe :) Thanks Christine!

      Delete
  12. I say, why not add the oats??? Great idea. In fact I think the oats would give the omelet a nutty/sweetness that would be unexpected & a delight. My side would be hash brown potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, now there's my kindred spirit talking :))) Couldn't have put it better myself Anni, and hash browns, definitely a good side. Thank you!

      Delete
  13. We love omelets at our house, Denise. I must say I've used many ingredients in ours but never oats- how interesting! We have breakfast for supper sometimes and I'm sure my better half would love this as he loves eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s wonderful Martha Ellen, I hope you both enjoy it :). Thank you!

      Delete
  14. Sounds different, but I'd give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, this is a little different, what an interesting recipe :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!