Thursday, November 10, 2022

I SIT BESIDE THE FIRE AND THINK…




 I sit beside the fire and think

Of all that I have seen

Of meadow flowers and butterflies

In summers that have been


Of yellow leaves and gossamer

In autumn that were 

With morning mist and silver sun

And wind upon my hair


I sit beside the fire and think

Of how the world will be

When winter comes without a spring

That I shall ever see


For still there are so many things

That I have never seen

In every wood in every spring 

There is a different Green


I sit beside the fire and think

Of people long ago

And people that will see a world 

That I will never know  


But all the while I sit and think

Of times there were before 

I listen for returning feet

And voices at the door 



I Sit Beside The Fire and Think

~J. R. R. Tolkien~






For Fans of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, this was a poem, a song actually, sung by Bilbo Baggins.  I found a great website called Tolkien's Gateway.  I have provided several links which you will see below in the explanation of this poem.  For non-fans I think you will still enjoy this poem.

"I sit Beside the Fire and Think" is a song by Bilbo Baggins, which he sang softly in Rivendell on 24 December T.A. 3018, the evening before the Fellowship of the Ring set out upon their quest. Bilbo sang the song in the presence of Frodo, after giving Frodo the mithril coat and and Sting.  The song is a contemplative piece, sung by a now-aging hobbit recalling past events that ends in anticipation of hearing returning friends." 

The poem above came from Tolkien's Gateway (this link).  It has a lot more information throughout.


(The photo of the fire is from Pixabay.com)


42 comments:

  1. There is just nothing like sitting in front of a log fire, alas no more.
    Good poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful poem! Wish we had a fireplace :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie, there's a lot to be said for them :) It's getting chillier here now. We are getting more normal weather for this time of the year.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful words. Have a good day, Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful poem! Love the fireplace photo. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad and thank you Eileen, I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Fico feliz que tenha gostado. Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana :)

      Delete
  6. not a fan of the Rings and have never seen them, but am a fan of this poem. Evocative of old memories from the past

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Sandra, and very true :) Thank you!

      Delete
  7. What a thought inducing poem - I've always love J R R Tolkien, not all those who wander are lost and all that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Denise :=)
    I love this poem of reminiscing in front of a log fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Breathtaking, we will need our fireplaces here soon :)

      Delete
  9. Me thinks you have a Hobbit in your house! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  10. So contemplative of Bilbo...Tolkien the genius. Thank you for sharing, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genius indeed :) You are very welcome Martha Ellen and thank you :)

      Delete
  11. A lovely image and I enjoyed the verse too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed Jan, thank you and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  12. How lovely!! I never knew he wrote this poem, it should be publisized more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like it - it fits for the adventure the Hobbits are about to have

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. Hi Yogi, so glad. It is one of my all-time favorites and there are many, truth be told :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!