Friday, November 25, 2022

A POEM

 



My bed is like a little boat; 

Nurse helps me in when I embark; 

She girds me in my sailor's coat 

And starts me in the dark. 

At night I go on board and say 

Good night to all my friends on shore; 

I shut my eyes and sail away 

And see and hear no more. 

And sometimes things to bed I take, 

As prudent sailors have to do; 

Perhaps a slice of wedding cake, 

Perhaps a toy or two. 

All night across the dark we steer; 

But when the day returns at last, 

Safe in my room, beside the pier, 

I find my vessel fast. 


~Robert Louis Stevenson~





Robert Louis Stevenson (born Robert Lewis Balfour Stevenson; 13 November 1850 – 3 December 1894) was a Scottish novelist, essayist, poet and travel writer. He is best known for works such as Treasure Island, Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Kidnapped and A Child's Garden of Verses.



28 comments:

  1. I KNEW it! I guessed that this was by Stevenson!!! He just has a certain way of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it - though I don't want cake crumbs in my bed/boat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet poem. I don't think I've ever taken a slice of cake to bed with me but I'm sure lots of toys when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the poem! Take care, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad, thank you Eileen, and you take care and have a happy weekend also :)

      Delete
  5. Lovely poem, Denise. When sleep alludes I'll remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed Martha Ellen, and thank you :)

      Delete
  6. Oh I like this one. Sail away and dream good dreams

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the bed love the poem and glad I don't need that netting that we have screens on the Windows now back when he wrote that netting was necessary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the old movies set in tropical places, and the netting over beds :)

      Delete
  8. What a sweet poem. Not one I was familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had it in my collection for a few years now. Found it in one of my poetry books :) Glad I could introduce it to you and that you enjoyed :) Thank you GGG :)

      Delete
  9. Fitting for right now- I'm tuckered out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. such a beautiful poem and fitting image!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!