Friday, November 4, 2022

FLOWERS - DUTCHMAN'S BREECHES

This is a post from my old blog.  I will be transferring all my old favorites to this one eventually.
As flowers are scarce right now, I thought I would share the Dutchman's breeches found on a walk near Bull Run in Manassas, back in April 2015

As you may have guessed, it is a species of Bleeding-Hearts (Dicentra).  They are also known as Dutchman's britches, Snowboys, Soldier cap, White hearts, Eardrops, Monks head, Butterfly banners, Kitten breeches, Bachelors breeches, Little boys breeches and Staggerweed.  It's botanical name is Dicentra cucullaria.
It is a perennial herb that regrows year after year, and is native to the woods of eastern North America.  It gets its name from the shape of its flower petals.  They form an upside-down "V" which resembles a pair of pants, or "britches".  Dutchman's breeches blooms in early spring, attracting bees and other pollinators.  It goes dormant towards the end of summer.
At the time I made a collage of all the other flowers from that walk, names below.

Top row, left to right: Purple Violet, Spring Beauty, Redbuds 
Middle row, left to right: Trout Lilly, Dutchman's Breeches, Yellow Violet
Bottom row, left to right: Redbuds (as above link), Virginia Bluebells, Purple Violet (as above link)






33 comments:

  1. In your closeups, it is actually sparkling! It looks like it was dipped in glitter. I have wanted to see a real one for years, but never have. I guess they only grow in the woods, where I never go. I would hate to spoil the teddy bears picnic, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those v shaped Dutchman's breeches look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie, they are a beautiful little flower :)

      Delete
  3. It is incredible to see so many names to name one flower. Surely delicate though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The various names of one flower has always fascinated me and yes, very delicate. Thank you Roentare :)

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous flowers and a delight to see once again, hadn't seen for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy you could see them again through my photos. Thank you Margaret :)

      Delete
  5. The first time I ever heard of these was several years back on another blog. They're pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy discovering things for the first time through blogging :) Thank you Ann!

      Delete
  6. Wow...never saw a "white" bleeding heart before!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning Denise :=)
    Your collage is stunning to look at. So many beautiful flowers and the lovely Dutchman's Breeches in the centre image looks like they have been washed and are hanging out to dry. :=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Breathtaking :) and thank you. So glad you enjoyed and a great description.

      Delete
  8. So pretty, and you've captured them so well in your photos. I've just read the poem in your last post, heart wrenching, and I think any mother can identify with all those hopes and fears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jo, thank you so much :) yes, the poem tugged at my heart strings too.

      Delete
  9. whichever of the names they are called by they are gorgeous, as are your photos of them. wild flowers are my favorite flowers. these are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are awfully pretty -- I love the name, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm, the variety of wildflowers pretty much infinite it seems sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an interesting flower. I've never seen one--or even heard of it, and I live quite close to your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only see them in the Spring, and only if I remember to go to this place I know of. I find them interesting too, and very pretty especially and like all flowers, when they are in the sunshine :) Thank you GGG :)

      Delete
  13. So nice to see these pretties on your blog today, Denise. I picked what is the last rose of the year in our garden. The Dutchman Breeches is really interesting compared to the more heart shaped ones. Thank you for sharing your exquisite photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, and you are very welcome. The last flower in your garden? Now that's very special :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!