Monday, November 21, 2022

MONDAY RECIPE POST - VEGAN 13-BEAN SOUP - SERVES 4

Not so long ago I was at a farmer's market and I picked up a 13-bean soup mix.  We wanted a vegetarian meal, and I found this one at Herbivore's Kitchen hosted by Kate.  Her recipe is actually vegan and can be found at this link. I always recommend looking at the original.  All Kate's recipes look delicious, as was this one.  Kate's instructions are for what she used, a Kitchen Aid Multi Cooker, which you can see here at Amazon. I don’t have one of these, but do have a slow-cooker.  However, I used my old tried and true Dutch Oven instead, cooking the recipe the old-fashioned way, on the stovetop.  I brought things to a boil and simmered until everything was cooked through.


Vegan Thirteen Bean Soup - Serves 4

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1/2 yellow onion diced

1 tsp salt

1 tbsp fresh garlic minced

2 tbsp tomato paste

1 tsp dried rosemary

1 tsp dried thyme

1 tsp dried oregano

1 stalk celery washed and sliced into 1/4" pieces

2 carrots washed and sliced into 1/4" pieces

1 sweet potato or garnet yam washed and cut into bite-sized pieces

1 cup dried bean soup mix (our host used Bob’s Red Mill 13 Bean Soup Mix)

1 14 oz can unsalted diced tomatoes

1 14 oz can full-fat, unsweetened coconut milk

3 cups water + additional water as necessary

salt and pepper to taste

Heat the extra virgin olive oil on low-medium heat until shimmering. 

Add the onions and salt and sauté, covered, for about 10 minutes, until the onions become translucent.  

Continue to cook the onions uncovered on low heat for another 10-15 minutes until they are nicely browned, caramelized.  Stir occasionally.

Add the minced garlic and sauté 1-2 minutes more.

Increase the heat to medium-high and add the rosemary, thyme and oregano. 

Sauté until herbs are fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.

Add the tomato paste. Sauté, stirring frequently, until paste turns a dark red. About 2-3 minutes.

Add the celery, carrots, diced sweet potato and the 13 bean soup mix. Stir to coat. 

Add diced tomatoes, water and coconut milk.

Bring soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer by setting the multi-cooker on slow-cook low for 4-5 hours. The soup is done when the beans and potatoes are soft.  

This is where I brought the soup to a boil after preparing everything as directed in a Dutch Oven, and then put on simmer for two to three hours.  I checked at two hours and wasn’t sure if the beans were cooked enough, so I tried it for an extra hour.  You can be the judge on how tender you want both veggies and beans but check every now and again.  I ended up using regular potatoes, the red ones. They were perfectly cooked and not at all mushy.

Check periodically as you may need to add water to the broth. 

Use an immersion blender if you would like a more blended, thicker consistency.  

Season with salt and pepper to taste.


The changes I made:

I used a large Dutch Oven instead of the multi-cooker.

I thought I had coconut milk in the pantry but did not.  Instead, I used the same amount of 2% milk.  If you want to keep this recipe vegan, make sure you have the coconut milk in stock.

I substituted white potatoes instead of the sweet potato, and added extra.  Gregg isn’t a sweet potato fan as he finds them too sweet and prefers a more savory taste.  I only mention this just in case you feel the same way.  This soup still came out a 10 out of  10.

I also added extra carrots and celery, plus more broth. It gave us extra servings and we have been enjoying it for a couple of days now.  We will eat the last of it tomorrow.  The flavor of the soup gets better and better.

I will also add another can of diced tomatoes as we both enjoy them.

I was going to emulsify the soup before serving, but it looked so good without, and decided not to.  If there is any one in the family not too keen on beans or certain veggies, emulsifying makes good sense.

Next time I will soak the beans overnight to reduce the cooking time.  I usually do but often recipes are decided on impulse and I use what I have.

The next day I made cornbread.  Crusty rolls would also be great  

For a bit of fun, below you can see the biggest potato my dear other half brought home as a joke.  I gave the right reaction. I think a “Good grief!” was in there somewhere.   He also said the cashier showed surprise. My mother used to buy these huge potatoes from our local greengrocer.  It’s been years since I saw their like.  This one was as big as my foot and I turned it into a still life of sorts, along with my grumpy bear mug and the unopened packet of 13-bean soup mix. Grumpy Bear was not amused as I did not put this potato into our bean soup.  It will be used shortly in another meal.  Anyone have any favorite recipes using potatoes? 





32 comments:

  1. Interesting Denise, but not for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks a hearty soup! Experiencing a cold front from south pole here. I would need that soup really bad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could send over a bowl :) Hope you stay nice and warm!

      Delete
  3. Lololol.. at first (granted, I just woke up and not focused yet). I read the recipe and read garnet YARN instead of yam. Lolol.
    Looks mighty fine. I would eliminate ALL milk tho to keep it vegan. We Never buy coconut milk in our groceries.

    When I have extra large potatoes like that I bake it and split it with Bud. I top my half with butter, lettuce, chopped roma tomatoes, cheddar cheese, guacamole, salsa with cilantro and sour cream.

    I've also topped it with butter, pizza sauce, mixed cheeses and pepperoni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the chuckle Anni, I looked again and could see how it could look like that :) I'm sure this would be very nice even without the milk or coconut milk. Thank you for the idea on the potato. Sounds delicious!

      Delete
  4. Hello,
    Looks and sounds like a delicious soup! Perfect for a cold winter day. Take care, enjoy your day and have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks so good and would be perfect for our cold weather we are in. Alas! I can't eat beans and I love them, all beans, any beans..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry beans are in your dietary restrictions Sandra. We don't eat them that often, in fact it was ages before this soup :)

      Delete
  6. Hello DenIse :=)
    This soup looks SO good, and just the sort of hot filling meal for cold rainy days. however, I don't cook much these days as my daughter Eva makes soup for me twice a week and uses a lot of the ingredients in this soap.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Breathtaking :) Glad you think so and how nice Eva makes you soup. Very thoughtful of her. All the best to you too :)

      Delete
  7. This sounds good, I have to admit although we have soup daily for lunch during winter I have never used a soup mix. Keep well, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, this was the first one I tried, though I have been wanting to for a long time. I like that fact that it doesn't have a seasoning packet in it so no preservatives. Just a variety of beans, lentils included :)

      Delete
  8. I love soup like you have featured, Denise. Unfortunately I eat low carb, but my family would love it! I always make soup in my Dutch oven instead of the slow cooker like you did. Seems easier to me! That is some big potato you have there! My husband's favorite soup is cream of potato with a lot of cheese. Your potato would probably be enough for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, I use my Dutch Oven all the time. It is a great kitchen accessory :) You know, you've sown a seed. We both enjoy potato soup so that will be our next to make :)

      Delete
  9. Sounds delicious....

    But I am "afraid" of beans! LOL

    Happy Thanksgiving
    🍗🌰🍗🌰🍗🌰🍗🌰🍗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that gave me a chuckle BB :) If I am guessing correctly on what you mean, my Mother-in-Law taught me how to put a sprinkle of baking soda into the beans when they are soaking in water overnight. It really does work! Not too much as it would leave a taste, but a sprinkle is fine, and then thoroughly rinsing as we normally would before popping it into the pot. Hope all goes well with you. I am always sending good thoughts your way and to your Loved One. Happy Thanksgiving! Always love your cute emogies :)

      Delete
  10. I made a big pot of chili yesterday. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that sounds good Jenn, and another seed planted! Chili ingredients will be on the shopping list. Thanks for the idea :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!