Wednesday, October 12, 2022

GREEN SPRING GARDEN FLOWERS CONTINUED FROM OUR 9-24-22 VISIT

Where I took this photo, I am looking at the Visitor Center on the other side of the green. Not too far behind me is the Historic House I shared when we went to the Hummingbird Photo Exhibit.

I have two more bees for you, the following is on a Panicled aster.  This particular aster has a lot of names, and you may know it by one of them; White-panicle aster, Lance-leaf aster, Eastern line aster, Tall white aster, White panicled aster, Lance-leaved aster, Michaelmas daisy, Narrow-leaf Michaelmas daisy and Narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy.  Its botanical name is Symphyotrichum lanceolatum.  The link I have provided on its name will take you to a website with more information.
This is a New England aster and it is native to eastern North America.  It is also known as Michaelmas daisy, Hairy michaelmas-daisy and Savoryleaf aster, with a botanical name of Symphyotrichum novae-angliae.  It is an easy-to-care for perennial and they grow in full sun with good drainage.  It is also drought tolerant and deer resistant, but rabbits will eat them.  It can grow between 1 foot and 4 feet.  
There are 70 cultivars of New England asters.  It is a late bloomer and produces its blooms in the autumn that attract many types of birds, including cardinals, titmice, chickadees, goldfinches, buntings, towhees, nuthatches, blue jays and hummingbirds.  Many insect species feed on them, so you can expect to see the occasional bird that will eat those insects.
A whole bed of pretty flowers next.  (I realize that you may know many of these, but I add all this information for myself, so that I can remember when I reread.) There is the Common eastern fleabane (white daisies), Firecracker plant (off center left).  The red flower with purple centers, also scattered in this photo, I couldn't identify.  The app said Blue waxweed, but it isn't the sharpest photo.  I couldn't find any info that they had red/purple varieties, so not sure.  Flossflower (the cornblue flower that is scattered in the photo), and in the bottom right is a purple flower I wish I had a closer inspection of, because I couldn't identify it with as little as I captured in my photo.  Not going into more detail, but I have put links on the names, if you would like to know more about them.
This beauty is the Belladonna lily, also called August lily, Jersey lily, March lily, and botanical name Amaryllis belladonna.  
"Bella donna" originates from the Italian word "bella donna", which means beautiful lady.  It has a resemblance to a pink lily.  Hence its name, the Belladona lily. These are a little past their best, a little wilted, but still lovely.  Sadly not for my garden as it is considered a very temperamental plant, and more importantly it is also toxic to animals.
This interesting flower is called Bluebill, also called Leatherflower, Purple Leatherflower, Purple clematis, Bellflower clematis, Pitcher's Clematis or Pottawatomie.  Botanical name is Clematis pitcheri.  
It is a perennial native to the south-central United States.  Closely related to the Clematis, but it blooms in bell-shaped blue flowers.  Blooming time is spring, summer and autumn.
And that's it for my flower post today.  I will have more to share when I can put another post together.  

Thanks for visiting and I hope your day is a great one.




42 comments:

  1. Simply beautiful We grow amaryllus here. They sulk for a few years after they are planted, but after that come back time after time.
    I really admire your photographs of the bees (something I struggle with).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, and thank you so much. I find taking photos challenging at times. I use my cell phone mostly these days. One of the bees seemed to be sleeping so made a good subject :)

      Delete
  2. The Clematis flower is so creepy to me, reminding me of a spider. I might even jump and scream if passing by one. The Bella Donna is so pretty. The red & purple flowers are stunning as well, I have never seen any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why it would have that effect Ginny :)

      Delete
  3. So many beautiful flowers on display. The bees are busy as they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good day for flowers and bees, thank you Roentare :)

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful variety of flowers still flowering in the public garden flower bed! I like to see asters at this time of the year. I simply call them Michaelmas daisies. I think the purple flower in the corner of the picture is a variety of salvia. Maybe the red flower with the purple centre is a small variety of anemone? The clematis produces interesting seed heads in the Autumn. There are many flowers to enjoy at this time of the year. Thank you for sharing photos and information Denise. Wishing you a happy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them Linda and you are very welcome :) Thank you for the tips on the flowers, very much appreciated. Happy day to you too.

      Delete
  5. I have a firecracker bush in our yard. And for today, the close-ups of the asters and their visitors are extraordinary. That Bella Donna is stunning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anni, I hope you take a photo of your firecracker bush next time it blooms. It is a stunning lily, even past its prime :)

      Delete
  6. Such pretty flowers and I do love naked ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, they are pretty flowers. I am answering you late as I just found your comment in my spam folder. Are you having the same problems with others? I had one of my comments pop up from September recently, and I have been reading that other blogging friends are having the same problem. This is why I am answering you later. I'm glad I go back a few blog posts to make sure I haven't missed anyone. Sometimes I do but it isn't intentional. A bit frustrating to say the least.

      Delete
  7. Hello Denise.
    Congratulations on the interesting topic, the explanations and the beautiful photos.
    Denise, I stopped automatically receiving messages published on your blog in my email. Can you tell me why?
    Kisses and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cuco, thank you so much :) I am very sorry about the absence of messages. I don't know enough about these things to understand why you are not getting my blog in your email. I have noticed other blogging friends comments that they have stopped getting notifications also, not just from me but all across the blogosphere. I wish I could be of help but sadly I don't know what the solution is :(

      Delete
  8. the bell shaped clematis is my favorite, the last squiggly thing is gorgeous! I do love all the flowers and those bees on flowers are truly amazing photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a certain fascination it I agree. Glad you enjoyed my photos Sandra, always appreciated, very much so :)

      Delete
  9. Beautiful flowers! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do my best Gigi, so glad you enjoy them :) Thank you!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Muito obrigado :) Fico feliz que tenha gostado. Um abraço e continuação de boa semana.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful blooms and a lovely flower post. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are all so pretty. I can't even pick a favorite. I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that way too Ann. Thank you, so glad you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  13. Beautiful wildflowers -- I especially love the field with the blue floss flowers and the red ones. Mother Nature just arranged them perfectly. And that is another fabulous Bee picture -- the white flowers are perfect backdrops for it. (You are so good at the flower IDs -- I can't even remember the names as long as it takes to get to the comment form at the end of your post ;>). Thanks for all you teach us -- I will keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, thank you so much and you are very welcome :) I am learning as I go along thanks to my plant app. Some I know but I need a refresher and knowing you enjoy my posts with all the details makes me very happy. And I am always thankful to Mother Nature :)

      Delete
  14. A beautiful flower post, and so nice to see the bees too :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed. I am always happy to see the bees. Thank you Jan and all the best :)

      Delete
  15. The bee on the white daisy -- breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie, I agree with you about the bee on the Daisy. I was quite taken with it :)

      Delete
  16. What lovely flowers you captured during your visit, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy, I was pleasantly surprised to see so many still blooming beautifully :)

      Delete
  17. They are all pretty flowers and beaut bee photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!