Wednesday, September 28, 2022

THE HISTORIC HOUSE AT GREEN SPRING GARDENS - HUMMINGBIRD PHOTO EXHIBIT - 9-24-22


When we entered the garden, there was a sign to let us know there was a hummingbird photo exhibit at the historic house.  It's been a very long time since we went inside, and this was an excellent opportunity to do just that.  It was our first stop at the garden.


We enter a hallway and turned left into the first room.  It was very quiet, and only had a father and his young daughter inside.  They normally have it set up as a dining room as they do afternoon teas here.  We keep saying that we should reserve a table one of these days.  In the meantime, here we are looking at the hummingbird photos.
  

I was able to take a few photographs but as we moved on it became more crowded.  Amazing hummingbirds taken by equally amazing photographers.I didn't want to disturb those who were enjoying the exhibit and settled down to enjoy them too.  (I like to enlarge my own photos in the evenings on my laptop, to study details of any bird I photograph.  There were no signs saying not to take photos.  I always check.)  


The bird in my next photo, where I could just about read the information card, is the Green Violet-ear Hummingbird taken in Costa Rica.


I cant ID many others, except for one more.  Not too knowledgeable on my hummingbirds.


Isn't this a beauty?  According to the card it is a Violet Sabrewing, photo taken in Monteverde, Costa Rica. 



I also enjoyed the flower arrangement on the mantle, and from all the overhead lights...


it seems as though they have quite a few exhibits here


I always take notice of the flower displays scattered here and there.


The view through the window is looking at the back of the house.


On the other side of the hallway there is a small gift shop, with a few prints on the walls showing how the house used to look.   There are reflections in some unfortunately.


Originally, as shown below, the kitchen was a separate structure and not attached to the house.  Separate kitchens were a normal thing in the south back in the 18th century, to keep away the heat and noise, and cooking smells from the main house. 
 

An explanation also stated that later when a family called Moss took ownership, c. 1827 or thereabouts, a brick kitchen was built on the east side of the house.


If you enlarge the photo above, the information says: "Green Spring House undergoing renovations in 1936.  Minni Whitesell, owner from 1931 to 1942, saved the house from demolition."  Thank you Minni!  I can't imagine the garden without this beautiful old house.  Is that Minni and her daughter walking through the doorway?

I bought a few items in the gift shop, just before we left.  Gregg bought me a book on the house's history that I was leafing through, and I also picked up two gift cards and two packets of tea.  The cards are the type that a tea bag is included, with a slit in the card so that the tea packet can slip into it.  I have seen them before in other places and they have been around for quite a while.  You may have seen them too.  They make a sweet gift for a family member or friend.  A handwritten card and a cup of tea, lovely!


 The small room (gift shop area) was filling up with people and we both wanted some fresh air by that time.  I was also eager to get to see what was blooming in the garden...


but I took a couple of photos of the other dining room from the top of the steps (of the gift shop), and that was it for the historic house.

Those anemones were calling me.

I always love the anemones in front of the house.  This is the Grape leaf anemone, also known as a Grape leaf windflower.  It originated in the Himalayas.


Next is a Mexican marigold, also found in front of the house.  (In fact, when I looked up the yellow flower with a touch of red next to it, they were also recognized as such.) Also known as Big marigold, Aztec marigold and African marigold, and they grow in full to partial sun.  Its botanical name is Tagetes erecta.  This plant was considered sacred by the Aztec people, and it was used to decorate temples.  It doesn't attract many birds surprisingly, but the blooms don't produce much nectar.  


This was a sign at the side of the front door, pretty enough for a picture.  I liked it enough to turn it into my logo.


That's all from the house.  I will have a post about the flowers soon.  There were many still blooming, though some were a bit past it, still pretty though.


Thanks for visiting and enjoy the rest of your week.





32 comments:

  1. Hummmingbirds are beautiful things that sadly we don't have.
    I do hope you get to that delightful venue for an afternoon tea soon, and am looking forward to more posts from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Sue, so glad you enjoyed. I feel the same way about all your colorful birds. We will get back for our afternoon tea one of these days, and there will be another post when I can put one together :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It certainly is, I keep saying in another lifetime I would like to live in a house like that :)

      Delete
  3. The hummingbird is nicely framed complimenting your dining area nicely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did a great job didn't they? Thank you Roentare :)

      Delete
  4. My lots of beautiful photographs of birds, the dinning room is colourful. It looks a good place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, it would be lovely to have an afternoon tea there :)

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful old house. So happy that it was saved from demolition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Ann, it would have been a real shame and I am so glad that lady did all the renovations :)

      Delete
  6. I love those hummers!!! We have five flitting around right now in our yard. Some of these in frames are stunning. My sister and I went to Jamaica About Five Years ago and I saw their national bird. It was beauty ....long long tail. Doctor bird?

    I would really enjoy visiting this garden & sipping tea in the tea room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful! Lucky you Anni :) Oh gosh, that must have been an amazing trip. I'll have to look it up. Thanks Anni :)

      Delete
  7. Ps...yes, it is: "The doctor bird or swallow tail humming bird (Trochilus Polytmus), is one of the most outstanding of the 320 species of hummingbirds. It lives only in Jamaica.

    These birds’ beautiful feathers have no counterpart in the entire bird population and they produce iridescent colours characteristics only of that family"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, not sure I will ever get there but I am going to read all about the Doctor Bird. Thanks again Anni :)

      Delete
  8. This place is just beautiful and it's wonderful they have exhibits. Some of those hummingbird photos are really spectacular. I love visiting places like that and seeing them restored or renovated. It looks like they are maxing out the best use of space, too. And by the way, thanks for coming by! It's always lovely to see you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always loved the idea of buying a house and renovating it Jeanie, a real old house like this one, and bringing it back to the way it should be. You are ery welcome Jeanie, so nice of you to say so, and I always love visiting.

      Delete
  9. I would love to sit at one of those tables with you! love that hummbing bird from costa rica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are beautiful aren't they? And I would love you to come up here so that we could do just that, it would be wonderful! :) How are you doing down there? I'm thinking of you all the time and hoping all is well. I shall keep checking.

      Delete
  10. I love this post! Such a lovely house. I like the colorful tablecloths and napkins, which all look so festive. Fun visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very happy you enjoyed my post Gigi :) Thank you!

      Delete
  11. How lovely this home is, Denise! I love the old photo of it from long ago. It's so nice that the garden has this wonderful house as a sort of centerpiece. Your book looks great as does the tea. I'm not familiar with Eastern Shore Tea Company. The hummingbird photos are beautiful. I'm sure you enjoyed going there again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha Ellen, it makes me happy you enjoyed everything. The tea company was new to me also, and I certainly did enjoy being back, thank you so much :)

      Delete
  12. Such a pretty logo for you, Denise! Those hummingbird photos are so wonderful. I enjoyed seeing them. I'm finally getting my mojo back after the jetlag from flying back to the West coast from Jolly Old England. Hope your week is going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen, I liked it also. I enjoy anything like that :) so glad you enjoyed the hummingbirds. Good that you are getting over jet lag also. I am looking forward to seeing all your photos and narratives from your trip to England when you have completely recovered from all the traveling. I have had a good week so far thanks and I hope yours has gone well, with plenty of relaxation :)

      Delete
  13. The house has an interesting history and is very suitable for use as an art gallery. Pictures can be difficult to photograph if they're behind glass, there are spotlights shining on them or you have to move on so other visitors can take a look. The humming bird images are beautiful. I'm glad you were able to purchase books and other items in the gift shop. Enjoy your reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, very happy you enjoyed them :) couldn’t agree with you more. I am enjoying my book too thanks. I don’t treat myself too often so it was nice to do that.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!