Monday, September 5, 2022

MONDAY RECIPE POST - CHIPOTLE-ORANGE BROCCOLI AND TOFU


Today's recipe came from Eating Well and you can look at it here.  I haven't made anything with tofu for a while, and I liked the look of this one.  I changed a few things which you can see below.  For those who don't like tofu you could use any of your favorite proteins with this one.


Chipotle-Orange Broccoli and Tofu

Serves 4 

Serving size is about 1-1/4 cups

Calories: 242 per serving

 

Chipotle peppers add heat to this tofu and broccoli stir-fry recipe. If you don't like things spicy, cut back on the amount or leave them out completely. Serve over brown basmati rice.

 

Total cooking time: 30 minutes

Servings: 4

 

1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu

½ teaspoon salt, divided

3 tablespoons canola oil, divided

6 cups broccoli florets

1 cup orange juice (*see my note below this recipe)

1 tablespoon minced chipotle in adobe sauce (see tip), seeded if preferred

½ cup chopped fresh cilantro


Drain tofu and pat dry; cut into 1/2 to 3/4-inch cubes.  (The more moisture you get out of it, the crispier it will be.)  You can also sauté your favorite protein in place of tofu.  

Sprinkle tofu on all sides with 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu in a single layer, stirring every couple of minutes, until golden brown, 7 to 9 minutes total.

Transfer to a plate.

Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and broccoli to the pan and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.  Stir until the broccoli is bright green, about 1 minute.

Add orange juice and chipotle, stirring frequently, until the broccoli is just tender, 2 to 3 minutes more.

Return the tofu to the pan, gently stirring, until the tofu is heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.

Remove from the heat and add the cilantro.


Denise's notes: I thought I had a can of the chipotle chiles in adobo sauce in the pantry, but when I checked I couldn't find it.  I decided to go away from the Mexican theme (will try that next time) and replaced the chiles with a tablespoon of chili garlic sauce.  It worked well.

*I liked the orange sauce but thought I would cut back from 1 cup to half-a-cup when I make this again. Add half a cup of vegetable broth to make up the difference.  

I read the comments at the website and a few people felt this was a bit bland.  I followed some of the advice and added a tablespoon of fish sauce, and a few dashes of soy sauce.

Another commenter suggested thickening up the sauce.  I put a tablespoon of cornstarch in a small bowl, mixed it with a little of the sauce to make a paste.  Then I put that back into the pan and stirred for a couple more minutes just until it thickened.

In the second photo of my meal, you will see I have sprinkled some of my favorite organic Umeboshi Japanese Furikake mix.  A little fusion going but I enjoy it and have done this for other meals occasionally.

Instead of the above you could use chopped parsley, chopped cilantro or thinly sliced green onions for a garnish.  

My chosen rice today was Trader Joe's Organic Brown Rice.  It's very easy, take the pouch out of the box and put in the microwave - unopened -for three minutes.  

There were leftovers for two more meals the next day.

That's it!





36 comments:

  1. Thank you for this interesting recipe. I like your amendments too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting recipie. Would you believe I have never had tofu? I would probably substitute chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, there are a lot of things I haven't tried. Tofu isn't everyone's cup of tea and I don't eat it too often. I am one of those people who like it in things like hot and sour soup or cooked like the tofu in this recipe. A friend introduced it to me many years ago. I thought it was very bland which I didn't mind at all, but realized it picks up the flavors of the sauces used in recipes.

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    Another yummy recipe. Thanks for sharing and the Trader Joe's Rice sounds great too. Take care, have a great day and a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen. You are very welcome and I wish you the same.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Muito obrigado :) Um abraço e continuação de boa semana.

      Delete
  5. It looks delicious. I tried tofu once and didn't like it at all. I would be like Ginny and use chicken instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you said that a protein substitute could be made, Denise, as tofu is not something we would enjoy. The spice mix looks interesting and is definitely a new one to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dorothy, any favorite protein would be good :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra, happy you think so :) Always trying here.

      Delete
  8. What a great idea! Now it is cooler, I'm happier cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's getting a bit cooler myself Jenn. Our friends out west, I hope it will be doing the same soon. I read it was 127 degrees F. in Death Valley. Hot anyway that I also read it hasn't been this hot in 1200 years!!!! It has been a hot summer for us too but the high 90s was all it reached.

      Delete
  9. I really cannot say that l like tofu, I will eat anything, so if given it I would eat it but I would not bother for myself. Glad you enjoyed it. Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Diane, it's not to everyone's taste but you can add your favorite protein or leave it out entirely. I wouldn't mind just having the broccoli and rice :)

      Delete
  10. I don't think I've ever had TOFU, but your meal looks delicious. My mom didn't make rice that often growing up, and I think that's why I've always enjoyed it so much through the years. Broccoli is so healthy, and I get it every time I go to the store.

    Have a wonderful September week.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheri, the only time we ever had rice growing up was in a rice pudding, usually with raisins in it. As kids it was one of our favorite desserts mum used to make :) That was a treat every now and again, and now I eat rice more as a savory. I should try making a rice pudding but it would just be for me.

      Delete
  11. You are a cooking inspiration Denise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet thing to say Ellen :) Thank you, much appreciated.

      Delete
  12. This sounds good (I would use the changes you made for the juice and thickener). I read in a tofu recipe I made that you can dry a block of extra firm in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute. It seemed to work for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, thank you and for the great tip to put the block into a microwave. I am going to try that next time :)

      Delete
  13. una bella ricetta, un piatto gustoso che voglio subito provare, grazie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sono molto felice che tu voglia provare questo piatto. Grazie mille :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!