Friday, September 9, 2022

RIP YOUR MAJESTY

I added this at 3:48 p.m. on 9.9.22.

Little did I know when I put this post together a few days ago, to be published at midnight, that it would coincide with the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.  I found myself incredibly sad, like so many, when I heard this news.  

Queen Elizabeth II, then Princess Elizabeth of York, by Philip de László, 1933

I left England in December of 1975 at the age of 25, when I married my husband, an American, never having thought of the idea of permanently living in another country before I met him.  Over these many years I grew to love my adopted country and yet throughout my life, I have always admired Queen Elizabeth, for the dedication she showed to the people of Great Britain and beyond, over a 70-year reign. My parents felt the same way, and perhaps I developed my great respect through osmosis, through them, and through the stories they told me over their lifetime. My parents and I had never-ending conversations at a new 'royal event'.  They always showed their great support and respect of not only the Queen but her father before her (George VI), or "The Old King" as they lovingly called him.   

It's been a rollercoaster ride of ups and downs for the Royal Family, that we know very well.  However, throughout, Her Majesty remained steadfast and many of us will miss her, along with her wonderful sense of humor that was shared on occasion.  And, let's remember to try to walk a mile in the shoes of those we have little real knowledge of before rushing to judgement.  Difficult at times I know.  This is something I am trying to do, walk that mile.  A good role model is that American I married in 1975.

Though I don't usually put any world-turning events on here, as I mention in my sidebar, today I am breaking my own rule.  I found this just now and well, it says it all.  A sweet cartoon and I thank the gentleman who illustrated our sadness so beautifully.  Rest In Peace Your Majesty.


My photos were taken over several years in various places.  I found it very interesting to research their history, and have provided links to either people, or places, or moments in time.  

The cultivation of roses likely began in Asia about 5000 years ago.

 They were also very popular in medieval times and were often seen as symbols of power and courage, as well as love. Many medieval rulers cultivated roses in their gardens, and Charlemagne, in particular, was known to be fond of the rose bushes growing at his palace at Aix-la-Chapelle.

During the Crusades of the 12th and 13th centuries, it was common for knights returning from the Middle East to bring roses home with them from their travels. This may account for the spread of many Turkish varieties into northern and western Europe.People have been passionate about roses since the beginning of time. Paintings on walls and other artifacts depicting roses were found in 5th century Egyptian tombs. It is said that the floors of Cleopatra's palace were carpeted with delicate rose petals - more information at this link - and that the wise and knowing Confucius had a 600-book library specifically on how to care for roses.Another interesting part of history, in 15th Century England, the War of the Roses was fought over a power struggle for the throne.  (I am not 100 percent certain, but I think the photo above shows a Tudor Rose.  This particular one I took in Dartmouth (UK) back in 2015.) The House of York, represented by a white rose, attacked Henry VI, whose symbol was the red rose. After years of conflict, Henry VII assumed the throne and united the two symbols into the Rose of England, which can still be seen carved into the ornate woodwork in many Tudor era palaces.  The following shows a Tudor rose emblem.


Archaeologists have discovered rose fossils that date back 35 million yearsThe oldest living rose is 1,000 years old. It grows on the wall of the Cathedral of Hildesheim in Germany.  Its presence has been documented since A.D. 815. According to the legend, the rosebush symbolizes the prosperity of the city of Hildesheim; as long as it flourishes.Several species of rose are indigenous to North America and the rose was a favorite of many of those credited with shaping American history. William Penn imported 18 rose bushes from England in 1699. George Washington planted roses at Mount Vernon and Thomas Jefferson grew them at Monticello. John Adams is credited with planting the first rose at The White House and the formal rose garden that still exists today was established during the presidential term of Woodrow Wilson.Alexander the Great is credited by some with having introduced roses into Europe while others attribute the latter to knights returning from the Crusades of 12th and 13th century, as mentioned previously. During The Dark Ages European monasteries preserved the tradition of roses, and required that at least one monk be skilled in botany and knowledgeable about the virtues of rose. Later, in 17th century Europe, the rose became so prized that roses and rose water were considered a source of legal tender and could be used for paying the debts commoners owed to royalty. It also was during this era that Napoleon’s wife Josephine, a lover of roses, established one of the first extensive collections of roses at Chateau de Malmaison where her garden contained more than 250 rose varieties.Everyone knows that roses have long been a symbol of love, but the color choice also plays a role in what a rose symbolizes.  Also it is important to emphasize that meanings can vary in different cultures. The following rose colors in the western world are commonly associated with the following meanings...

Red: Love and Romance

Pink: Grace and Elegance

Yellow: Friendship and Cheer

White: Purity and Innocence and Spirituality

Orange: Enthusiasm and Energy

My information came from these website.  Click on their links to find out more if interested.











46 comments:

  1. These blooms are just beautiful, love roses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful shots of roses! I had no idea about most of this information. I especially liked the fact about the monks. My favorites are the yellow ones. And I didn't even know how much I liked yellow roses. So your photos must be better than the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, thank you! I enjoyed learning about them when I put this post together, so glad you did too :)

      Delete
  3. So gorgeous! Those golden ones are seriously amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, I thought so too when I saw them :)

      Delete
  5. Rises are a favorite of mine (especially the multi-petaled, very fragrant old English variety). The white rose is my least favorite color...they turn brown too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,
    The roses are all lovely, beautiful variety of colors. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a beautiful collection of photographs of roses. Thank you for the research you did about roses. Much of the information shared I was not aware of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Linda :) So glad you enjoyed this post :) I enjoyed putting it together. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Fico muito feliz que tenha gostado dessas flores. Muito obrigado :) Um abraço e continuação de bom fim de semana.

      Delete
  9. you are such a gifted photographer! these are AMAZING photos of each flower. I can't even pick a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, totally agree, I thought that when I took their photos :)

      Delete
  11. I like roses, but they don't last long after being cut, so I tend not to buy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely buy them in bouquets but love it when someone gives me a bouquet :)

      Delete
  12. Beautiful roses. Stunning painting and such sad news. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane :) Yes, very sad news. Cheers to you also.

      Delete
  13. What a beautiful post about roses but it is your heartfelt words about the Queen that makes this very special to me. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Numerous editorial cartoonists are responding with the poignancy that you expect. That's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. RIP Queen Elizabeth. Beautiful roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine, and my sentiments exactly :)

      Delete
  16. Denise, certainly as someone born and raised in the UK, you have a fondness for the late queen. And, many others, myself included admire her longevity as a world leader. From many accounts I have read, she also seemed like a likable person, who enjoyed humor even when directed at herself. There will never be another monarch like her.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Forgot to add that the roses are lovely and the information about each was much appreciated. I have photographed many over the years not really knowing much about the differences other than color.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That’s a beautiful painting. The roses are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the corgi looking back. Guess the remaining 4 pups are going to Princess Anne's and Prince Andrew's. One article said the Dorgi started when a Queen's Corgi was visiting Princess Anne's dachshund! I think Americans wish we had the grace and pomp of royalty, but I think we miss the Kennedy's and Camelot and their gracious class. Condolences to you and your countrymen, and women. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I didn't know about the corgi's. Thought they would be well taken care of. I don't see a link to your blog but wanted you to know I tried. Have a great weekend and thanks for your interesting comment.

      Delete
  20. Goodness you did a lot of research for that post and it was so interesting. Thanks for enlightening me today. So much Rose history. Quite a coincidence with your Royal post. Sad day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you found it interesting Diane. I have fun with researching my posts, and I learn a lot as I go along. Yes, a very sad coincidence. Thank you, I hope your weekend is going well.

      Delete
  21. I have always had a fascination in the Royals and their long history and feel a great sense of sadness that this remarkable woman is no longer with us. I'll be writing a post about it sometime by or before the funeral but there is so much to think about. I wish the new King well -- she's a tough act to follow. Your rose photos are divine.

    I've been more or less offline for the past couple of weeks. I'll never catch up with you, but hopefully I can keep up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie, and I shall enjoy reading your post. I am not sure anyone will be able to fill her shoes. She was an amazing Monarch.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!