Wednesday, June 28, 2023

WHAT DOES HE PLANT…

What does he plant who plants a tree,
He plants a friend of sun and sky,
He plants the flag of breezes free,
The shaft of beauty towering high,
He plants a home to heaven anigh,
For song and mother-croon of bird,
In hushed and happy twighlight heard,
The treble of heaven's harmony,
These things he plants who plants a tree.


What does he plant who plants a tree?
He plants cool shade and tender rain,
And years that fade and flush again;
He plants the glory of the plain;
He plants the forest's heritage;
The harvest of a coming age;
The joy that unborn eyes shall see.
These things he plants who plants a tree.


What does he plant who plants a tree?
He plants, in sap and leaf and wood.
In love of home and loyalty
And far-cast thought of civic good
His blessings on the neighborhood,
Who in the hollow of his hand
Holds all the growth of all our land
A nation's growth from sea to sea
Stirs in his heart who plants a tree.
He Who Plants a Tree
by 



Henry Cuyler Bunner (August 3, 1855 – May 11, 1896) was an American novelist, journalist and poet.  He is known mainly for Tower of Babel.

Bunner's works have been praised by librarians for its "technical dexterity, playfulness and smoothness of finish".




34 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful and inspiring poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie, I am happy you enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  2. Truth. I wonder what poem he would have written about those who cut down trees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely poem and a beautiful bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, very much appreciated :)

      Delete
  4. A future to look forward to...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are enriching my soul with beautiful literature

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so very nice Roentare and it makes me happy yo think so. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Barb planted 50 trees around our property in early May. They seem to be doing really good, so we are hoping for a high survival rate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful! I will keep my fingers crossed for them :)

      Delete
  7. so very true and so beautiful to read. we need our trees and they have just cut down 29 full mature trees 7 blocks from us to build 33 houses. breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra, and always sad to see one tree cut down, let alone 29!!! Glad you found the poem beautiful :) I loved it too.

      Delete
  8. Great poem. It makes us stop and think a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does and these I enjoy immensely. So glad you do too. Thanks Red :)

      Delete
  9. Makes me want to go out now and plant a tree!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, in fact we were looking at the garden center the other day :)

      Delete
  10. Lovely poem with so much wisdom, Denise! Great photos of the handsome cardinal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen :) so happy you enjoyed.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful cardinal shots and lovely poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too and couldn’t believe my luck that he posed long enough for me to take a photo :) happy you enjoyed both, thanks Ellen.

      Delete
  12. A lovely poem and a beautiful bird.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, I thought so too :) we are very lucky with our cardinals. They visit every day. Also glad you enjoyed the poem. Thank you and all the best :)

      Delete
  13. Well written and it read beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nas, I very much appreciate your comment :)

      Delete
  14. The Cardinal really stands out against the green leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, I remembered to wait for the sun to start going down :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!