Tuesday, June 13, 2023

GREEN SPRING GARDENS, CONTINUING OUR WALK ON 6-3-23


Still down by the second pond, the lotus area was starting to take shape.  Hopefully the next time we go here they will be in full bloom, which is always when I love taking photos.

And to recap, we had seen the turtles...

and I believe these are called Red-eared sliders, info here, and there is a basic information sheet at this link
We had a very interesting meeting with the Mexican Hairless dogs, thanks to their kind human who introduced us to them when he was taking them for a walk at the garden.  In my post I mentioned the Pixar movie Coco, where there was such a dog who befriends our young hero Miguel. I have since watched it and for an animated movie I found it very touching, tugged at the heart strings, and I found myself sniffling throughout.


And then there was our fashionista Canada Goose from my post here.  I always enjoy the company of a Canada Goose, a never-ending source of  entertainment.


These were all the critters that we came across on our walk, and we enjoyed seeing them very much.  There were also a few birds fluttering around in the treetops, but barely seen.  By this time, we had reached the wooded area, and its path that eventually leads to the top of the garden. It is more manicured.  I enjoy the wooded area equally as it is left to grow as nature intended, a little wild, and thanks to my plant app 'Picture This, I was able to identify the ones in my photos.

If you would like to know more about the following plants we saw, click on each name to read more information.

Foxglove beardtongue 

Carolina allspice  

Smallspike false nettle

Cup plant  

Wineberry  

Indian hemp


So, we made our way through the wooded area, crossed the stream and walked up the hill to where we always finish our walk around the green but...
the first scene we came across as we reached level ground was this.


A group of young people were having their photographs taken by a professional photographer.  We didn't want to intrude and stopped in our tracks  (they were blocking the path in the direction we were going). But yes, we took photos, a lovely reminder of the day we saw their celebration.  We were far enough away that our presence was barely noticed, if at all.  It was a delightful scene!  The young girl was with her 'court'.  The accompanying girls are called 'Damas'.  The boys are called 'Chamberlanes'.  The Damas and Chambelanes will be with the Quinceanera (this young lady in the beautiful gown) throughout the day and are usually with her until all her other guests leave. 


Her gown was stunning!  The first time I learned about these celebrations was in September 2010, when we visited one of the missions in San Diego, California.  A group had arrived in a long stretch limo.  You can see my other photos of our trip to the Mission at this link.  If you go here, you will be able to read all about the tradition of Quinceañera.

It goes back centuries and takes place when a girl turns 15 years' old and is now seen as a young woman.  The celebration starts off with her and her family attending a Catholic Mass.  The tradition of Quinceañera originated in Mexico, back to the time of the Aztecs.  You can read much more at the links I provided if curious.  The young people by now were moving on to other areas of the garden for more photos and we were able to continue.

I have always been fascinated by other cultures, customs, clothing and traditions, ever since I was a little girl and I remember on my way home from school, peering into the shop window looking at all the gorgeous Indian jewelry, and seeing the ladies in their saris.  Those days were the start of my curiosity about such things.  I never had any money to buy but I was content looking, and I am still looking.


This is the end of my post but not of my photos from Green Spring Gardens.  There will be more soon.






30 comments:

  1. Every trip you make there is a huge learning experience. I have never heard of this celebration, and I agree about the girl's gorgeous gown. How awesome to come upon the celebration; you were there at just the right time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny, that's very true :) I always see something I want to learn more about. That's the fun part of these trips for me, finding things out about the things I see.

      Delete
  2. A lovely continuation of your walk Denise and that gown of blue, it's so gorgeous, just love that colour blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, I agree about the gown color. It was gorgeous :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a finish to an already wonderful outing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never fails that we see something different on our walks :) Thank you Sue!

      Delete
  4. There is special view whenever you point your camera. The wedding scenes are quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, that girls dress is stunning. She looks like a princess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely Ann, couldn't have put that better myself :)

      Delete
  6. A lovely outing and walk. I like the turtles and the dogs and the pretty plants. The girl's dress is lovely. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, glad you enjoyed. You take care and enjoy your day also :)

      Delete
  7. I am very happy that CANADA Geese are providing you with entertainment and joy, Denise. That is as it should be!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen many of these in our mall, that is closed now. they used to come to a store there, because several of them worked in one of the store. I did not know what it was or why, now I do. we used to see them a lot when we wandered the mall and ate in the food court.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting Sandra, we have a lot of 'long gown' places here, for weddings, or proms and now I know they must be for the Quinceañera. I never have occasion to go there but I would enjoy looking at all the gowns :) I have been thinking that the closest we would have to these are the Debutante Balls?

      Delete
  9. Those celebrations are a constant thing here in central Texas...Some of the dresses are absolutely breathtaking!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting Donna, I would be in awe of all those fashions. Hugs from me too :)

      Delete
  10. A lovely celebration you happened upon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. An interesting tradition..the dress is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Denise it's a fun post and I enjoyed sharing your walk. The young lady celebrating 15 is indeed in a gorgeous gown. I hope you have a wonderful day too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Carol, thank you and I hope your day is going well :)

      Delete
  13. Thanks, Denise, for sharing more of your Green Springs Garden walk photos and also the information about the Quinceañera, which was not new to me, but I didn't know much about the history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Beatrice :) always fun for me to find these things out as I go along :)

      Delete
  14. What a beautiful walk. I loved all you shared and can't wait to see the lotus. How fun to stumble onto the photo shoot. Lovely. And thanks for coming by today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanie, so glad you enjoyed everything. I am hoping to go back soon. It's been a bit rainy lately.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!