Tuesday, June 20, 2023

SIBERIAN IRIS' AND THEN....

you will see what happened a little way down my post.  But first, I am going to share a few photos from the front patch of our garden.  It was a bit bare, and we needed some color.  

Our garden isn't as large as some but even so, we are no spring chickens and at this stage of our lives we are grateful for extra help.  There is a very nice gentleman who takes care of our garden for us.  Last year I asked him if he could plant a few flowers in a bare spot at the front of the house.  He names flowers that would grow best in a particular spot.  I let him know what colors I am interested in, naming those seen in catalogs.  The place we needed them is in part shade, and his knowledge about such things has always impressed us, and I appreciate his honesty.  If I pick something he will tell me if it works and if it doesn't.  I am happy to compromise as he has never failed us...

and has known us long enough now that he has a good idea what we like.  We trust him! 

I liked everything he planted but my favorite was the Siberian Iris.  I love their deep, rich red with darker shades.

So, as pleased as punch with the way they were blooming in their second year, I took photos.  But yesterday (6-16-23) this happened (excuse the utterance at the end of the video - I usually keep them out of my vocabulary).

The start of it...


and the middle of it.  It hailed for 20 minutes, the rain half an hour afterwards.


Those icy pellets bounced inside the family room with such force, I was picking them up half-way across the carpet, at least a dozen feet inside.  (Our son, when he visited on Father's Day, after showing him the videos said, "Why didn't you just shut the door Mom?" "I had to take my photos!" I replied, and he laughed because he knows his mother.  (He lives 14 miles away and had no hail.) 


This morning as I write (6-17-23) we have had several storm chasers knocking on our door, asking if we wanted them to take a look for damage.  Gregg has already taken a walk around the house to see if he could see anything amiss.  He also contacted our insurance company requesting an inspector.  One of our neighbors had a new roof put on a few days ago.  We are keeping our fingers crossed for them.  Our next-door neighbor had someone inspecting his roof just now, and there are similar scenes all over the neighborhood.


I picked up a few icy pellets after the storm.  They had been much larger and were already melting in my hand.  Hundreds of new leaves had been knocked down.


People are saying it is the worst hailstorm we have had in ten years.  At least they weren't golf-ball-size like that time.  Our whole roof and siding were damaged badly.


Back then we had continuous rain between the inspection and the repair.  Many damp ceiling patches appeared in the garage, but only one large patch inside our main bathroom, and we were grateful 
  

There are two large wooden air vents on each side of the house, and one was badly smashed.  I kept thinking we were going to have squirrels, raccoons and birds taking up residence in our attic.  Fortunately, that wasn't a problem.  A few months  later our insurance paid for a new roof and all the siding, including the side vents and the frames around the windows.  We were amazed no windows had been broken. 


In our neighborhood there were contractors fixing dozens of homes for over a year.   The cars that had been parked outside had dents.  Every square inch looked like someone had taken the round part of a hammer to them.  But again, that was several years ago and this lesser storm may have given us a break.


It seemed to me that the hail wasn't quite as large but it was forceful, and because of the damage caused before, we don't want to take any chances.  


Gregg was away from home after spending most of the day visiting an old navy buddy 70 miles away.  I called him to let him know what was going on, worried that he might be caught out on the freeway as it was around the time he would have started back.  He was fine and there had been nothing where he was.  He said the closer to our house the worse it looked, but others have been mentioning it in other neighborhoods.  It took us all by surprise.  


It was misty afterwards, and there was steam rising from the ground.  I was curious and found on this page a term called "Hail Fog".  If you scroll down you will not only see that title, but others that give you reasons how fog forms.  Gregg said it was like a layer of fog rising from the ground when he was coming back into the neighborhood.  He had never seen anything quite like that before.


I took photos before it got dark (the two above) and again the next morning when I checked the plants.  Most of the petals had gone but there was this one left...


and a few other stalwarts with stems standing tall and petals still hanging on.  Resilient!  


We have an inspector coming around soon.  We are expecting rain for the rest of the week.  Fingers crossed!




38 comments:

  1. Oh MY! You got great videos, so the hail coming in your house was worth it. So what damage do you have? Any you can see? What about your car? Years ago, our car got totally hammered by hail, and insurance paid for it. The lilies were so beautiful, they looked like velvet. That shade of red is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, we can't see any damage on the outside but will know for sure when the inspector comes. He will also go up on the roof and examine that. Gregg was driving the car in an area where they had no hail, so we were fortunate this time. Good to know your insurance paid for the damage to your car. Happy you liked the lilies, they are definitely my favorite right now :)

      Delete
  2. Love those lilies and am sorry that you lost some of them to hail. We had a massive hail storm a few years ago that caused billions of dollars in damage - in a very localised area. Car windscreens were shattered, and in some cases the cars were written off. Solar panels and windows on houses and businesses also suffered. All in less than half an hour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, I am hoping they will spring back. Your hailstorm must have been horrendous with all the damage it caused. In such a short space of time too.

      Delete
  3. Well what a beautiful lily, simply stunning.
    That is some hail storm you had Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was Margaret, and I am so pleased with the lilies. I will replace them with the same if I have to :)

      Delete
  4. I love the colour of the lilies. We had similar ones flowering last month in a pot with masses of orange flowers. I'm glad we could enjoy them before our recent trip. We're experiencing stormy weather this week, but your hail was a worse experience for you. I hope the damage is minimal and I'm happy to hear that Gregg got home safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your lilies sound wonderful Linda :) and thank you. I hope your weather won't be as bad. Yes, I was very relieved when Gregg got home but he actually had a good journey back, no rain or hail.

      Delete
  5. Those lilies are beautiful. That storm...Oh my word. That's a lot of hail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed, more than I ever remember. Thank you, I'm happy you liked the lilies :)

      Delete
  6. I haven't seen such a deep red one like that before. Stunning!

    Weird hail! We had a storm like that a few years ago. Just hit one area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandi and yes it was a very weird hail. Ours was pretty localized also I found out later. So strange! The atmospherics were just right!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful flowers! Too bad it hailed. Sometimes, it hails here in Hawaii. Unbelievable, isn't it? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I can't believe you have hail in Hawaii Gigi. Say it ain't so, lol!

      Delete
  8. I have never seen a hail storm, bad or not so bad, bob said his 57 chevy in back in 1959, PA had one hail storm, and one hail stone made a hole in his convertible top and he had to have a new top on the car. that is the last time he saw hail.
    your flowers were stunning and the one that survived must be hardy. I love the videos and would have done the same thing, and my most favorite of the post are your awesome macor of hail and leaves. Stunning Photos. all of them/ hope there is no damage to your home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting story about Bob in 59. I was happy how the macros came out on the hail stones and leaves. All taken with my cell. Thanks Sandra :)

      Delete
  9. I was so enjoying those outstanding lilies... and then bam... the hail. I know you must be heartsick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Latane, when they start thriving again I will share them. I try never to get too excited about things, many times something will come along to bring me down to earth. I am managing my expectations :)

      Delete
  10. Lovely flowers. Never seen this color lilies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ashok, I had never seen them quite like that color before either :)

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Good to know Christine, thank you! :)

      Delete
    2. It occurred to me that Iris are not Lilies, but hardy nonetheless. This one is a beautiful colour.

      Delete
    3. I am just happy to know they are hardy :)

      Delete
  12. Wow! Those are serious hailstones! And such beautiful lilies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh boy, Denise, what a weather event you had. Sorry about the flowers being beaten down. Glad the hail wasn't as large as the last bad event. Hope your damage is minimal and can be fixed soon. There was hail in our area on Sunday but nothing like you had. I'm chuckling about you opening the door to take photos. I understand completely!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellen and thank you. We have been on the phone arranging for the fellow to come over and we should get someone in the not too distant future. Can't help but think how busy these insurance companies will be and there will be a long list at times like these. Thank you for understanding Ellen, I can't ever pass any opportunity to capture a life moment :)

      Delete
  14. Hail is severe and scary. Major damage can happen particularly if there's wind. I live in what's called hailstone alley . Cold air comes off the Rockies and makes hail. I live in the middle of it in Red Deer Alberta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting Red :) I've never heard of that before, hailstone alley. Fascinating too.

      Delete
  15. Those lilies are gorgeous...I really love the colour. Hope that hail didn't cause too much damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are beautiful aren't they Angie? :) Thank you, we are still keeping our fingers crossed.

      Delete
  16. That was some impressive hail!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was some intense hail!! I am surprised that you had any survivors at all.
    I'm not a fan of hail. Years ago at our old house here in Tulsa we had baseball sized hail. They smashed through plexiglass barriers over the skylights and then smashed through the skylights to our bathroom floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds awful Yogi. Baseball sized hail sounds positively lethal! :0

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!