Friday, June 23, 2023

GREEN SPRING GARDENS, LAST OF THE PHOTOS FROM THIS TRIP - 6-3-23

 From the children's garden it is a very short walk to the area where produce is grown.

There is a thriving herb garden our side of the fence.  At this link I found a few interesting facts.   Growing pots of basil not only smells good but it deters flies and mosquitoes who are repelled by its scent. Mint leaves or oil also deters ants and so a few scattered leaves in your cupboards can prove a useful, natural solution if you are having a problem with these pesky critters.
The Romans believed that the consumption of mint would increase their intelligence and the smell of mint in their houses was also a symbol of hospitality.   Parsley is a natural breath freshener, particularly in combating the potency of garlic

Herbal seeds have been found in pre-historic cave dwellings dating back as far as 500,000 years ago. Our ancestors have always used herbs in cooking and health remedies.  The Egyptians studied herbs and used them in medicinal and religious functions as far back as 3500 B.C. Ancient records reveal recipes for herb infused oils and creams in the tombs of legendary beauties such as Cleopatra.  The Chinese began the organized study of herbs in 2500 B.C. Written records in China have survived, detailing the uses of herbs that date back from 100 BC.  I found lots more information at this link  

We also saw signs saying that all produce grown is donated to local food banks.  The garden near us does the same.

I applaud them wholeheartedly for doing this...   
and I can't leave without adding a quote, this time about herbs.
We were slowly meandering our way to the car and came across a second family whose daughter was celebrating her Quinceanera.  I wrote about the first at this post. Not wanting to intrude, I was only able to take one photo from a distance using the camera with the zoom, a sweet moment between the young lady and her sister.  Very heartwarming! 
I couldn't quite make out what her gown looked like this time, but from a distance I could see it was a pretty pink.  I bet it was beautiful!








And this last photo of the Spiraea is the end of today's post.  We will be going back relatively soon, maybe in a week or two.




32 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you William, the garden makes it easy :)

      Delete
  2. The Spirea looks like lace. And your Foxglove photo is beautiful. I have never heard of or seen Spanish Lavender; how different and interesting it is from the regular kind!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden gives me great ideas on what to plant in the garden :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos and it's good the produce is donated, people would appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an absolutely blissful walk from beginning to end. Hooray for donating produce too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blissful is a good word for this place :) and yes, hooray!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful garden and many useful herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous photos and such a wonderful place. I had heard about mint repelling certain insects I didn't know about basil. That's awesome that they donate all the produce to a food bank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann:) I have heard about certain herbs and their uses with insects, but didn't know much about it. I'm going to try their suggestions if we need to. Yes, I am very happy to see their harvest go to the food bank :)

      Delete
  7. Hello,
    Wonderful photos of the garden. It is great that the produce is donated to the food banks. The flowers are beautiful. Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen and agree :) You take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend also :)

      Delete
  8. Bardzo ciekawe informacje i piękne fotografie. Miłego weekendu 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bardzo dziękuję i również życzę udanego weekendu :)

      Delete
  9. I did not know about basil and mosquitoes, we need a bunch of that. I don't like the taste of basil, once accidently bought a basil chicken and bob had to eat all of it. he doesn't care for it but will eat things he doesn't like. i have extreme taste buds, hearing and smelling.. makes me crazy. I do know Foxglove can murder someone. i learned a lot of things today i did not know. now to see if I retain the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mosquitos are quite big down there aren't they Sandra? Or am I getting confused? It's interesting how we all have different tastes in things. I see that between the two of us. You sound like hubby, he has an incredible sense of smell and taste. I hardly have any.

      I have heard about Foxgloves too. Your comment got me curious and I found this:

      https://www.poison.org/articles/foxglove?gclid=CjwKCAjwhdWkBhBZEiwA1ibLmKCFrcWDHLIZre0DQNERT8lz_NzMUO9fvLqmuSGHfJMdukpy7P_YJBoCmXQQAvD_BwE

      I don't think I would plant them if we had children or pets around. Not sure how general wildlife would cope.

      Delete
  10. I love spirea...so delicate. Thanks for all the information!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Donn and sending hugs :)

      Delete
  11. I love that they donate to the food banks. That's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we need to help each other out when we hit hard times :)

      Delete
  12. A lovely post full of pretty flowers and interesting information. I learnt a lot, for example I've never heard of a quinceanera celebration. The photo of the girls among the flowers is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda :) I am happy you enjoyed my post.

      Delete
  13. A much used word but I agree with other comments :)
    This is a lovely post.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was lovely to see the herb garden and made me miss the fact that we can no longer grow many. However, we have basil, parsley, rosemary growing in a large container on our window sill in the apt.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!