Tuesday, June 6, 2023

TODAY'S DOGGY FIX

Unusual for us we decided to go to the garden on a Saturday.  Normally we go in the middle of the week.  Because it was hot we left later in the day.  We also knew it would be a better light for taking photos.  

We expected it to be crowded and many of the parking spots had been taken.  The gates are closed at 5.00 p.m. (it's the kind of barrier that you get at some of the train crossings, a single pole that is pulled down across the road.  It was already 4.15 p.m.  No cars would be able to go in or out, but people would be able to leave once they had taken their walk around the garden.  We parked beyond the pole on the side of the road.  The photo below shows an old shell of a building and there is no identifying information nearby.  At this link you will read: "Nestled into the hillside, the thirteen-foot square, four-chambered structure is mortared cobblestone and brick with a thin coat of concrete. We’ve long referred to it as the “fermentation tank” because descendants of Fountain Beattie, who lived and farmed at Green Spring from 1878 to the early 1900s, described its use as a tank to ferment the juices of fruits grown on the farm."

Beyond the fenced off structure you can just make out a gazebo and part of a house.  This is a private home with a large garden and it is just across from a path that takes you past two ponds on Green Spring property.  The road is little more than a narrow lane, and we came down a slight hill from the main entrance.  This part is blocked off from traffic and only for pedestrians, and the occasional garden maintenance vehicle.  The opposite end of the lane that leads up to a larger road, is blocked off to thru-traffic.  The only ones that I could see allowed on that part of the road, would be the homeowners, and their visitors, and maybe a few people making wrong turns.  Otherwise, the lane is very quiet except for foot traffic going down to the ponds.  I never usually covet places like this, but I thought how splendid it would be to live within a stone's throw of the public garden.  I would be there every day.

  The garden didn't feel crowded at all.  We saw more people than normal, but it was very pleasant, and no one was in each other's space.  There are several benches in various spots.  We were sitting on one overlooking the second pond.  It was warm but there was a very nice cool breeze blowing through the whole time we were at the garden.  It couldn't have been a more perfect day for a walk.

And there were dogs.  These two were the first we came across.  A gentleman saw our interest and came over to say hello.  We asked what kind they were because neither of us recognized them. He was happy to stop and chat for a while.  He told us that they were Mexican Hairless Dogs.  I could tell immediately they had very sweet natures, lovely personalities.  They were also happy to have us make a fuss of them.  Truthfully, I could have adopted them on the spot.
We were told their names but I am still rather heady from the you-know-what, and am as deaf as a doorpost.  (My hearing will come back eventually, as it always has over the years.  I have had ear problems off and on since childhood.)  Anyhow, Gregg didn't catch the names either.  What I did hear after asking him to repeat, was that they were Aztec names.  I didn't feel like I could whip my notebook out and asking him to write them down.  The first thing I saw when they were quite aways off when approaching us, were their ears.  One of the dogs in particular, his stood very tall, taller than any I have ever seen, which includes the Doberman.
So, I went online and found a couple of Aztec names for them.  For the sake of my story, meet Izel (which means Unique), and Yolotli (which means Heart).  
If I ever bump into them again, out will come the notebook!
We learned that this dear little dog was born with a deformity.  He has a shortened jaw which can only accommodate half the bottom teeth he would normally have.  This led to his tongue hanging out all the time.
The dogs proper breed name is Xoloitzcuintli, otherwise known as the Mexican hairless dog.  If you would like to hear its pronunciation, there is a YouTube at this link you can listen to.  It is a 1 minute 5 second video.  Also…
It is one of the most ancient breeds and has been in existence for over 3,000 years.  Their name is derived from the Nahuatl language. Xolotl is the Aztec god of life and death, and the term “itzcuintli” literally means “dog”.  Because these pooches are known to be ‘spirit guides’, they can be widely seen in Mexico parading the streets on Día de Muertos, Day of the Dead.

At this link I read more info.  They mentioned that in the latest Pixar film ‘Coco’, there is a dog called Dante.  He had the role of a stray spirit guide pup that was adopted by the protagonist, Miguel. Dante is actually a Xoloitzcuintli, or Xolo for short. In the photo they included at the website, at the beginning of the page, Dante has his tongue hanging out just like our sweet dog here.  I seem to remember the man we met at the garden telling us that it is a deformity that happens in this breed of dog, but I haven't checked my facts completely.

These dogs were considered sacred by ancient Aztecs and Mayans, and were believed to be guides for the dead to Mictlan, the underworld.  Xolos, their name for short, originated in Mexico, and is the national icon and cultural symbol. Today they are still popular home and hunting companions.  
When pre-Hispanic art had a major revival in Mexico, Xolos were frequently featured in artifacts and art pieces. Many Mexican artists, like Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera, kept Xolos.  They were also the loyal companions of famous Italian voyager, Christopher Columbus. When Christopher arrived in the Caribbean in 1492, his journal entries noted the presence of strange hairless dogs, that were revealed to be Xolos.

Similar in appearance to a Pharaoh Hound, with a sleek body, almond-shaped eyes, large bat-like ears and a long neck, the breed’s most distinguishable feature is their lack of fur, which is said to be because of a hereditary genetic malformation of the skin.  Our new friends were 13 and 14 years' old respectively.  Because of their age they have a special lotion rubbed on their backs to keep from drying out.  (The hairlessness of the breed may have helped in the hot climate they came from.)  They have a lifespan of 13 to 18 years and are said to be loyal and mellow. They make excellent watchdogs but are said to be extremely wary of strangers.

Xolos come in three different sizes: Toy, miniature, and standard, and they weigh approximately between 9 lbs. to 44 lbs. They are mostly black or blue-ish gray in color.


And that's some of what I learned about these delightful dogs.  It was fun meeting them and their kind human.  We appreciated the fact that he stopped to chat and tell us all about his furless-family.  Our visit talking about them was at least 15 minutes long and was the start of a lovely walk.  I have more photos from other areas of the garden and will share them as soon as I can put a post together.




28 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful and pleasant park! Cute dogs, the breed is so old yet it's new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie, it is a very relaxing area, and to sit on a bench and take in all that's going on, is just as relaxing to me. Yes, a cute dog, different and new to me also :)

      Delete
  2. What a lovely place to go and walk, surprise they close the gates at 5pm, can understand that in winter but not your spring.
    The red hot poker are lovely, always give a good show when enough of them together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Margaret :) We are also surprised at the early closing of the gate. I think walkers who park outside can stay until it begins to get dark. But I don't know that for a fact either. I am always way to eager for my walk to take note. If I think about it I will ask someone at the visitor center next time. Yes, I like the red hot pokers also.

      Delete
  3. Oh, all the beautiful green there! and these Mexican dogs...I never!! Never heard of them or saw any. The only Mexican dog I have ever known of is the Chihuahua. They are surely strange looking dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of them either but so glad to know about them now. The two we met were lovely dogs. I also love the Chihuahua :)

      Delete
  4. Add me to the list of people who didn't know about these dogs. I am looking forward to more photos from the park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, interesting aren't they? I will be getting a post together so that I can share it in a day or so :)

      Delete
  5. Living in Texas, we've seen this dog a few times. Love the furless part! lol
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna :) I'm sure you have. I have never seen them around here before. Hugs from me too :)

      Delete
  6. I have never seen one of these dogs. How very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Muito obrigado.
      Um abraço e boa semana pra você também :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. They looked and moved happily so I was glad to see when I learned how old they were :)

      Delete
  9. Beautiful place for a walk. The dogs are strange looking. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Grazie mille :) Apprezzo la tua visita. Benvenuto!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you Christine, happy you think so. I enjoyed them very much :)

      Delete
  12. A lovely place to walk.
    Thanks for sharing information about these dogs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Jan, happy you enjoyed them. All the best to you too :)

      Delete
  13. That is really interesting, Denise. Amazing to meet a new breed. Who knew?! I like your names for them, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenn. So glad you found this interesting :) and liked the names.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!