Wednesday, June 21, 2023

A LITTLE HUMOR


A cartoon to tickle the funny bone.  

I have seen versions of the three wise monkeys for years but never really thought how they originated.  Apparently, they date back to 17th Century Japanese carvings.  The three are Mizaru (see no evil) covering his eyes, Kikazaru (hear no evil) covering his ears, and Iwazaru (speak no evil) covering his mouth.  Sometimes there is a fourth monkey, Shizaru (do no evil) crossing his arms, but as in the cartoon above, he seems to have taken up blogging!

I received additional information later.  Someone who saw my original blog post (this is from my old blog) commented, "Zaru is actually the Japanese word for monkey (though the proper noun is Saru), and their names are literally seemonkey, hearmonkey and saymonkey."  

Here is a poem I found online.


Three small monkeys on my table
Each as good as he is able,

Not to see or hear or say
Things unpleasant through the day.

One with hands across his eyes,
Careful that he never spies,

Does not see the faults of others,
Neither playmates nor his brother.

One with fingers in his ears
That he's sure he never lies,

Now the third with fingertips
Gently placed upon the lips,

That he may not speak unkind
Thoughts that enter his mind,

Now without the fingertips
Pressing closely on the lips,

He should guard the tongue as well,
And be cautious what we tell.

May the conscience be our guide
Telling what to see or hide;

Let us learn without delay
What to see or hear or say.
The Three wise Monkeys
~Author Unknown~



32 comments:

  1. I actually visited the shrine that housed the three monkeys in Japan too. The actual words came out of Confusicous as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How absolutely wonderful, that must have been an amazing experience Roentare. Thank you for the information on Confucius also.

      Delete
  2. I love the poem!!!! As usual, you always find the very best ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the additional information about something I am very familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good and I must say I've heard of those saying but not related to the monkeys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for that interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How very interesting. I had no clue about where the 3 monkeys originated. Love that poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed my post Ann, thank you :)

      Delete
  7. Love the pome , great advice too. Take care, enjoy your day and happy week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, so glad and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  8. all of this is something all of us Humans need to be aware of and pay attention too. Words once spoken can never be returned. thanks for the info from the old blog, If i saw it back then I did not retain it. so news to me today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Sandra, I often say these poems and old sayings are a good reminder for me too :) Glad you don't mind the old posts. I figured that might be the case and if friends remembered, then they wouldn't mind a repeat. We have a lot of new blogging friends since our first blogging days don't we?

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the information! Didn't know this...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Donna, glad you enjoyed :) Sending hugs!

      Delete
  10. They may well be smarter than the alleged Three Wise Men!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sometimes look up old proverbs to see how they originated or what they mean. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I love to look up words too. Glad you found it interesting :)

      Delete
  12. so fun!! the poem is awesome but "each as good as he is able"...that's the best line!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a piece that should be published widely. We need this message more than we ever did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to me it is needed now more than ever Red :)

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. I find myself learning things every day William, am forever curious about such things :)

      Delete
  15. That is really fun to know! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you think so Jenn and thank you! :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!