Monday, June 26, 2023

MONDAY RECIPE POST - HAMBURGER GRAVY

My dear other half said this felt like real, down home, southern comfort food.  I was looking through one of my recipe channels on YouTube and found this.  The name of the channel is Ray Mac's Kitchen and Grill.  When I saw the picture it reminded me of a dish my mother used to make us as kids.  Hers came out of a can (forget the brand name but it had Minced Beef and Onion on the can).  She would roast us a potato each in the oven (popularly named a jacket potato where I came from), split them open and spoon the Minced Beef and Onion over the top.  It was one of our favorite meals.  
On other occasions she would put it on the top of a roasted marrow (which is like a large zucchini and at this link you can read more information than you probably need.  I once again add it for my own benefit, and hopefully you will find it interesting). 

 We both ended up giving it ten out of ten, and you can find it at this link.

There are no exact measurements mentioned, so we guessed on that, following the video through each step.  You will have to do that too, add more if you think it is needed, less for your own taste maybe.  Ray is very helpful with any advice.  I added a few below on some.

Ingredients:

Ground beef (I bought 1 lb.) 
(Ray also used hamburger patties instead of the above)
1 large onion, finely chopped
All-purpose flour, guessing between 1/4 to 1/2 cup
Beef Broth (adjust depending on how thick you like your gravy)
Heavy whipping cream
1 pkt. Lipton Beefy Onion Soup Mix
Onion Powder, to taste
Garlic powder, to taste
All-purpose seasoning (he found his at Walmart)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Worcestershire sauce (personally I wouldn't leave this out as it adds a delicious flavor and we have been fans for a very long time)


Ingredients (not measurements) and instructions are given underneath the video.

In a large skillet cook ground beef and onion over medium heat until the beef is browned, and the onion is softened.  Make sure to break up the beef into crumbles as it cooks.

Sprinkle the flour over the cooked beef and onion mixture, stirring well to combine.  Cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes to remove the raw flour taste.

Gradually pour in the beef broth and cream (or you can use milk).  Stir constantly to avoid lumps.  Add a splash of Worcestershire sauce if using.  You can leave it out if it's not to your taste.

Bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and let it cook for about 10 minutes, or until the gravy has thickened to how you like it.  Add more broth if you find it too thick.  Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.

Season the hamburger gravy with all the seasonings mentioned above, and add salt and pepper to taste.

Ray suggested using mashed potatoes and he adds a link for his own recipe.  Rice would be good with this, or your favorite side. 

Serve and enjoy!


Another suggestion was to serve the gravy over biscuits.  I have been wanting to make Red Lobster's Cheddar Biscuits and will add them to one of my Monday Recipe Posts sometime.  There are plenty of them online but I might try this one.

There were leftovers enough for the next night, and how I served it you can see in the photos above.

The first night I did as my mother and baked a jacket potato, splitting them open just enough to pour the hamburger gravy over the top.

I baked four of the potatoes and left two for the next day.  One was used to go along with breakfast which dear other half sautéed using an avocado oil spray.   He and son enjoyed them yesterday on son's weekly visit.

That evening I did the same with the fourth potato, sautéing them with avocado oil spray, putting the finished slices on the plate and pouring the gravy over the top.  One potato was more than enough for the two of us as it was on the large side.

I fixed a simple green salad with iceberg lettuce, diced tomato, green onions and a little finely grated Parmesan cheese.  I added a few pieces of lettuce and diced tomato to my plate to pretty it up for the photos, also adding a little sour cream.  

I was surprised that I didn't have any beef broth in the pantry, so I replaced it with chicken broth instead.  Gregg said don't change it next time as this was great.

I wasn't sure about using whipping cream but again it was just a splash.  I would probably use milk next time.

I couldn't find any all-purpose seasoning so I put in 1/2 teaspoon each of dried thyme, rosemary and basil.  My guesses on ingredients are approximate and should be done to your own taste.

Gregg put all his chopped salad on top of his gravy and mixed it all in.  I wasn't sure about that but you know, it tasted great?  Almost like having a ground beef taco but without the tortilla, gravy-style.

All in all this was a very tasty dish and one we will be making again.

If you have any questions leave a comment and I will be happy to answer as best I can.  I hope there are no typos.  It's late and my eyes don't focus too good when I'm tired.  I'll recheck tomorrow just to make sure it all makes sense.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great week.






32 comments:

  1. I was just looking for a recipe like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly feels like winter food. Very heart warming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, now it's hot again so it could be a while before we make it again :)

      Delete
  3. We knew them as Jacket Potatoes too - and still have them from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we have a lot of similar and identical terms don't we Sue :)

      Delete
  4. The deli at the store where I work occasionally does hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes for the hot food case. It's a popular item. They just used jarred gravy when they make it though.
    I love those biscuits at Red Lobster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good Ann, I would probably buy that :) Those biscuits are good aren't they?

      Delete
  5. Warm weather food right now here in Texas...but it looks delicious!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been hearing how hot it is there Donna :) Hugs...

      Delete
  6. We do something similar but with mashed potatoes covered with butter. So delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Truly was, in fact we have made it again since I did this the first time :)

      Delete
  8. Looks really good, Denise. I just made a meatloaf for comfort food. Sometimes we need that, don't we? Southern food is always delicious. When Nel lived in Georgia for awhile, she was introduced to some wonderful Southern dishes. ; )

    Summer is here, and I hope the season around you is lovely.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheri. Meatloaf sounds delicious too. Yes we do need our comfort food at times :) We are enjoying the warmer weather. It was a might humid for me yesterday but cooler today.

      Delete
  9. we were just talking a few days ago about the fact when we were at home with our parents every thing had gravy, or was gravy or gravy was in or on all meats and even veggie. what could be better than burger gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you Jan and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  11. Denise, it's lovely to read about this tasty dish! My mouth is watering and I'm sure my guys and I would love it. It reminds me of something similar my Mama used to make. I'm so glad to finally have some time to visit with you! Thank you for the kind comment you left on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Martha Ellen, you are so very welcome. Nice to know this reminds you of your Mama's special dish also.It's lovely to be visiting with you again :)

      Delete
  12. oooooh comfort food at it's finest!! this sound so good. for me, i would serve it over mashed potatoes or biscuits, i can't decide on a favorite of those!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie, maybe we can do both, lol! :)

      Delete
  13. The ingredients sound real good for this comfort gravy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought when I first saw it, thanks Ellen :)

      Delete
  14. Sounds good! I wonder how it would go as the gravy part of poutine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lady who does food vlogs (in Australia) and she has just made a poutine. The address is at this link:

      https://youtu.be/Ug1Ih_EwZiU

      Next time I am up in Canada I am going to go to a restaurant and try it. Her fries and gravy sounded delicious and have to say I am curious about the cheese curds. I remember her saying they have a slightly sour taste?

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!