Thursday, June 8, 2023

MORE FROM GREEN SPRING GARDENS - 6-3-23

There is always a lovely display of flowers in the border before you actually go into the garden.  These are right next to the parking lot.  We had parked outside of the gate this day as we didn't want to be locked inside after the 5 o’clock closing time.  We arrived at 4.15 p.m. and knew our walk would take well over an hour.  
Margaret mentioned about the early closing time.  I agree Margaret, it does seem way too early, especially for a Saturday.  I am wondering, however, if they are short of staff and volunteers.  We can still walk around but I expect the visitor center closes also, and probably the old historical house, and the garden center where you can buy plants.  Not 100 percent sure but something to check out later.  Perhaps as we get more into summer, the hours will be extended.  It is a time I love going, not only for the light but for it being quieter.  I can't say I have ever found it too crowded though.)
I noticed the above as we walked down the hill toward the ponds.  They were small and newly planted, lush and vibrant.  Especially pretty as the water sprinklers had just given them a good dowsing.  I look forward to seeing their progress on future trips.
This is the bench we sit on right next to the first pond.  It is rarely occupied and it is where we watch the activity on and under the surface of the pond.  I enjoy reading the dedications, donated by family members in memory of their loved ones.  You've probably seen them in your own public gardens.  This one has been placed in a lovely spot and I mentally thank this family each time we visit, also thinking of their parents who enjoyed Green Spring Gardens as much as we do now.
We have seen a Great Blue Heron across the other side of the pond, usually fishing.  It hasn't been there for a while, and I hope it will surprise us one day.  We noticed several turtles.  This one came close to the water's edge.  They sometimes climb out onto the grass or park themselves on a hot rock to sun themselves.  Many still had a lot of mud covering their shells.  Unlike cold-blooded animals they don't hibernate but when winter arrives, freshwater turtles will dive down to the muddy bottom of ponds where the temperature never gets below 33.8 degrees F. (1°C). As they nestle in the mud, their metabolism slows down. This allows them to survive for months without food and with very little oxygen. 
There were two ladies standing several feet away and they started chatting to us.  They overheard me talking to Gregg about the turtles.  One lady knew quite a lot about them, and she was telling me some things that quite frankly I couldn't hear.  The gist of it I think, is that when I said to my dear other half, I wondered if people fed them because it seemed to me several swam in our direction, this is when she joined in our conversation.  'She and me' were of like minds about not feeding animals and birds human food.  In fact, there is a sign at the beginning of the pond walk, not to feed any of the wildlife.  I ended up saying to these ladies yes, nature's food is the best, which caused the one nearest me to smile and nod in agreement.   
Why is it we don't say "Pardon me but I can't hear properly?  What did you say?" and I nod like a bobble head, and probably look very silly.  Gregg smiles when I say I don't want to be a bother.  He's been listening to that for the last 47 years off and on and yes, we're both smiling.  I just go home and read up on these things but still thank those who share their knowledge when we are out and about, which I can usually hear.  Next time I should have no problem.  
There was a family at the second pond, and daddy was showing his son the turtles.  There are fish in the pond also.  
We had another friend visit us.  More on friend in another post.
By this time we had already met the man with his Mexican Hairless Dogs - you can look here if you missed that post.  We were at the other end of the pond, near the edge where the ground is muddy.  I noticed a bee and from what I found on line at this link, it is probably a mason bee.  I read: "Because mud is vital for mason bee reproduction, females will not nest if they do not have a reliable source nearby (within 25 sq. ft.). However, not just any mud will do! Mason bees prefer to use mud with a high clay content - or that is the consistency of modeling clay. Mud that is damp with a high clay content allows the female to mold the mud to fit her nest perfectly; as the mud dries, it creates a strong protective barrier from predators.  Mud with a high sand content is more likely to break apart when it dries, which opens the door to predators."  You can read more at the link above and also see how to help these very important pollinators.


I finish off today's post with a rare photo of me about to enter the wood, with Gregg walking ahead.  The path eventually takes us across a stream.  We then walk up a hill to the more level part of the garden where it is more manicured.  I took more photos to be posted later.

Thanks for visiting and I hope your day is a great one.





36 comments:

  1. I always love seeing a photo of you!! And what a lot I have learned here! I did not know about the turtles under the mud beneath the water, or the strange Mason Bees!! I also never heard of this particular type of Larkspur, the Rocket. I have never seen any, maybe it is hard to grow in gardens. We do have the regular Larkspur here though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny:) I usually prefer to be behind the camera but I know blogging friends like to see the person who wrote the post every now and again. I always enjoy seeing you in yours :) The name of this larkspur came up when I used my Picture This app. Always enjoy researching the things I see on our walks. Amazing what we can find out about things.

      Delete
  2. What a delightful post - packed with beauty (you included) and education as an added bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s very sweet of you. Thank you Sue :) so happy you enjoy the facts I find out.

      Delete
  3. You look great, Denise. Interesting facts about the turtles. Beautiful wild flowers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind of you to say Angie and very much appreciated :). Happy you enjoyed my post.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful place this is. I'm thinking the same as Ginny, I learned a lot that I didn't know. I'm always grinning and nodding when talking to people. I can't hear well sometimes even with my hearing aids and I get tired of asking people to repeat what they said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, I am happy you enjoyed this. Totally agree and I can see hearing aids will be in my future at some point :)

      Delete
  5. A lovely photo of you and Gregg! How fun...
    The walk looks nice and peaceful...Glad you enjoyed it!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Donna :) it is a wonderful walk. Hugs from me too :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely walk with nature, I love seeing the turtles and the pretty flowers. Cute photo of your too. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Eileen :) very much appreciated. I wish you the same.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely garden - isn't it wonderful to know there are spots of beauty around many communities? Public gardens are a real gift. I didn't know those 2 first flowers at the beginning of the post, Red Hot Poker and Rose Campion. The last name reminds me of the old British detective, Campion. I would have thought the name Red Hot Poker would be for a red flowers. Shows what I know! I guess I've lived too long in the tropics of Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is Carol, so good for the soul :) I don’t remember that detective series. I will have to go on a search. Thanks for mentioning him. My Picture This app is a wonderful source of information when I can’t identify a flower. I was surprised at the name too as I would have thought the same as you.

      Delete
  8. Certainly is a lovely place Denise. Nice photo of you too.
    Well I guess they have their reasons for closing too early :)
    Take care and as always I enjoyed your photos and the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret :) much appreciate that. Yes I am sure they do but my curiosity will need to find out why now. You take care also and always happy you enjoy my posts.

      Delete
  9. Hello! What a beautiful photo of you!! Thank you for sharing. I learned so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very sweet of you to say so Billie Jo, thank you very much :) Happy you enjoyed my post.

      Delete
  10. thanks for the view of you.. I like to know my blogger friends and seeing part of that. i did not know about the bees and clay or that turtles stay down deep like that . not sure where I thought they went in winter.
    the park is so beautiful and yes, we have dedicated benches with names like this one. Bob does the same thing, he can't hear a word they are saying and nods, says yes or no and i fuss at him when the people leave because he doesn't say he can't hear them ad becuade he will not replace the 10 year old hearing aids to help him hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Sandra, I usually prefer being behind the camera but there are times when husband insists I get out in front, lol! As for the hearing aids, I can see them in my future but not quite yet. My brother-in-law had his installed recently and says his area great. I still think it's the recovery from the Covid. I'm waiting a little while longer for my snufflies to clear up :)

      Delete
  11. A turtle, a Canada goose and a bee all walk into a bar. And I'm very happy to see them because those are some of my favorite creatures, lol. Thank you, D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that made me laugh Cloudia :) They are lovely creatures aren't they? You are very welcome my friend and thank you :)

      Delete
  12. It is always so nice to see parents introducing their children to parks and the natural world. My favorite shots were of the bench, fountain and you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet compliments Penelope :) I agree, sowing those seeds as early as possible is a very good thing. Happy to know your favorites too :)

      Delete
  13. A beautiful garden. The turtle is so cute in water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roentare, I have always loved looking at the turtles :)

      Delete
  14. Happy to see you at the end of the post. Looks like a lovely place to walk. Good to know about parking outside the gate! Glad you both recovered well and you are out and about again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen, I much appreciate your words :)

      Delete
  15. Thank you for your journey through a lovely place. The benches with placards honoring the parents was especially special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, I am always very taken with the dedications on these benches :)

      Delete
  16. Look at all the lovely flowers at Spring! What a pretty and peaceful place to visit. That turtle is huge! This is a sweet picture of you, Denise. It's nice to see our blog friends' faces once in awhile. ; )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheri, glad you enjoyed them and it certainly is. There are all kinds of sized turtles at the garden. Thank you for the compliment and I agree, I always enjoy seeing my blogging friends in their posts, so I am glad you enjoyed seeing me for a change :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!