Wednesday, October 4, 2023

THIS AND THAT

 He said..."Let's go get an ice cream"!  She of the weak will said nothing, just jumped up as fast as she could to get her shoes on, was out the door and into the car.  She was as fast as how our dear old dog used to be when we used to say "Walkies!"   Pavlov's Dogs and I are friends.

 Gregg had a Marshmallow Sundae and I, a Hot Fudge Sundae.  It was a welcome treat.
Fall and Halloween decorations are popping up in our neighborhood. 
When we got home I noticed a weed overtaking a spot it had decided to grow in.  I hadn't noticed it before. Its name is Rhomboid Mercury (thank you plant app), and its botanical name is Acalypha virginica var. rhomboidea.  It grows by easily self-seeding, which allows it to quickly spread and take over.  It grows from 6 to 24 inches tall.  I guess I know what I will be doing in the next day or so. 
I am putting together my final post on our new deck. Last night when I had gone upstairs, Gregg was still in the family room with the patio door open. It was a beautiful evening. He saw movement out of his side vision and when he looked, there was a fox staring at him, standing right next to the screen door.  I wonder if that little fox would have walked inside if it were not for the screen?  But then when Gregg made a movement to get a closer look, he quickly ran down the steps.  So, the new deck has not discouraged our local wildlife.

A European Robin from one of my online jigsaw puzzles, and next something that gave me a smile.


The kids didn't know what to make of Aunty Arabella.  She marches to the beat of her own drum. (You can look for the meaning of that at this link.)  I think Aunty Arabella and I would have gotten along just fine.  She and I hear the same drumbeats, says I smiling.  It's okay to be different.  If you have a good heart, those rays of sun will always shine through.  Starlight too!

(From Pinterest)

I am leaving you with a poem.

For what it's worth...
it's never too late,
or in my case too early,
to be whoever you want to be.
There's no time limit.
Start whenever you want.
You can change or
stay the same.
There are no rules 
to this thing.
We can make the best or 
the worst of it.
I hope you make
the best of it.
I hope you see things 
that startle you.
I hope you feel things
you've never felt before.
I hope you meet people with 
a different point of view.
I hope you live a life 
you are proud of.
and if you're not, I hope you 
have the courage to start again.



Thanks for stopping by, may you have a great day, and may your drum beat loudly.  
 



42 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this fun post. I am so glad that the new deck hasn't discouraged your wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue and you are very welcome :) I was very happy too though was also comforted to know it still had its flight instinct. Not good for wildlife to be habituated to humans.

      Delete
  2. This poem is wonderful, one of the best you have ever found. Before I read that the Robin was a puzzle, I was wondering how a European robin got to your yard! The ice-cream looks so good! I would have a hard time choosing. Dairy Queen used to have a sundae called Jack & Jill. Half marshmallow and half hot chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful Ginny! I felt the same way when I found it :) Oh my goodness, I wish Dairy Queen still offered that choice.

      Delete
  3. Lovely poem, that puzzle looks interesting love the bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret :) The Robin can be seen on Christmas Cards. I have had quite a few of them sent to me over the years. Happy you enjoyed the poem.

      Delete
  4. Always reward us a good desert. Treat us well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those sundaes look so good. I would have chosen hot fudge too.
    Love the poem and how true that is. It's never too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don’t they and hot fudge all the way ;). No, it’s never too late. Thanks Ann!

      Delete
  6. Love the poem and the images. Hot Fudge sundae, is my favorite YUM! Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, and hot fudge sundae is a winner :) You take care and have a great day also.

      Delete
  7. I love this poem and plan to borrow it from you and the author. its worth repeating for sure. I am laughing at the Sunday Selfie turns out to be the Selfie Sundae.. love that photo of the sundaes taking a selfie together... yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s great Sandra and am happy you want to use it :) I like that, Selfie Sundaes.

      Delete
  8. forgot to say I am so happy the fox came on the deck and that the wildlife will continue. hope you put the cam up soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again :) I will try to get that cam up soon.

      Delete
  9. Good morning Denise.
    Hmm...the ice creams look delicious.
    Fantastic to have wildlife like this around. It's very rewarding.
    What a beautiful bird the Robin is and what a beautiful photo.
    The illustration with the little girl is beautiful and full of lightness and grace.
    F. Scott Fitzgerald's poem takes me to the poetry of Fernando Pessoa where part of a poem says: Was it worth it? Everything is worth it, If the soul is not small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cuco :) thank you for your comment, which I enjoyed very much. Thank you also for introducing me to Fernando Pessoa. I will look for his poetry. The line you mentioned tells me I should do so.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Obrigado e um abraço e continuação de boa semana para você também :)

      Delete
  11. I think I would hop up (slowly) if someone said, "Let's go for some ice cream"! A nice treat for a early Fall day. A fox at the screen door...amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I move faster than I should :) Yes, the fox was lovely. I think we can live together as long as we are sensible about it. Now a bear? I have seen them in video clips doing much the same thing. That would not be good as much as I love all wildlife.

      Delete
  12. We call European Robin Rotkehlchen here...they sing beautifully. The sundaes look so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy knowing the different names of the same birds/animals around the world. Thank you Angie :) The sundaes are very tempting. I'm glad we don't have an ice-cream shop close by. A once in a while treat is a good thing though.

      Delete
  13. I like ice cream...very much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this poem Denise! You had me at ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this post, Denise! Full of positive vibes as always, my friend! Your hot fudge sundae would make me jump up fast. Your neighborhood is looking quite festive. And that poem is sterling--so wonderful. Don't work too hard at weeding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you felt so Martha Ellen. Smiling at my kindred spirit :) Thank you and I will go slow on the weeding as I always do. They are certainly faster than I am :)

      Delete
  16. Such a great post and that ice cream does look delicious.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan and it was :) All the best to you too.

      Delete
  17. Lovely poem and photos, Denise.
    The sundaes are enticing 😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Veronica Lee, it makes me happy you enjoyed. Thank you and yes, I would like to have one of those sundaes now but am being very good this week, lol!

      Delete
  18. I would have jumped in the car, too. I love the idea of Auntie Arabella. Ah, Fitzgerald!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the poem -- somehow no idea Fitzgerald wrote poetry as well. Fun puzzle (I always wish we could see European Robins in "person" (?).... going back to read all your deck remodel posts -- sure looks good at the end in the above post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The fox probably has your property among his usual rounds and was curious about the deck.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks like a hot fudge sundae from Dairy Queen? I used to get them every now and then, so Yummy. What a beautiful photo of the European Robin. We just get the well known original Robins here in California. They visit my lawn often. I love that little girl photo with the stars swirling around her. That's delightful. And a wonderful poem that you shared today, Denise.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not today but we have been there for other treats :) This one is called Milwaukee Frozen Custard. I enjoy going to DQ for their Peanut-Buttercup Blizzards, yum! Happy you enjoyed my post Sheri, thank you!

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!