Wednesday, October 25, 2023

GREEN SPRING GARDENS 10-1-23 CONTINUED...

 I was very happy to see the Monarch Butterflies on our last visit.  They seemed to like these orange flowers particularly.  They are Mexican Sunflowers and I will have more information about them in another post.  This time I am concentrating on the butterflies.  I haven't had any luck taking photos of butterflies this past summer. I haven't seen many at all, whether this was because of bad timing I'm not sure. I know they are another that has been put on the endangered list, and that is troubling. The following information came from this website.  I read: "Each Fall millions of monarch butterflies migrate to overwintering sites in Mexico and to a scattering of locations along the coast of California. In the spring monarchs return to breeding areas and the cycle begins again: a two-way migration that is one of the most spectacular on the planet. Yet, this migration appears to be declining. Some theories include: 

Loss of milkweed needed for monarch caterpillars to grow and develop, due to habitat conversion and adverse land management.
Drought conditions in California and other areas in the western U.S., resulting in lower milkweed biomass, and reduced availability of milkweed late in the summer.
Insecticide and herbicide use to control insects and weeds, with unintended consequences for monarchs.
Overwintering habitat loss and degradation in California, due to development within and adjacent to overwintering groves, and decay of overwintering trees as they age.  
Habitat loss in overwintering sites in Mexico due to illegal logging.”
There are suggestions on how we can help.
"The monarch migration occurs twice every year.  Nectar from flowers provides the fuel monarchs need to fly. If there are not any blooming plants to collect nectar from when the monarchs stop, they will not have any energy to continue. Planting monarch flowers that bloom when they will be passing will help the monarchs reach their destination. Creating more monarch habitat will help work to reverse their decline."
Plant milkweed! Monarch caterpillars need milkweed to grow and develop. There are 100 milkweed species that are native to North America, many of which are used by monarchs. To learn which species to plant in your region, and how to plant them, visit Bring Back the Monarchs Campaign (click on their name will take you to their website.
Plant butterfly nectar plants! Monarchs need nectar to provide energy as they breed, for their migratory journey, and to build reserves for the long winter.  Include butterfly plants in your garden and avoid using pesticides.
If you click on this link you will be able to download the free Monarch Plant List in PDF format.
From this link I read: 
The adult monarch butterfly typically only lives for a few weeks, unless it is lucky enough to be the last generation born in late August. The last generation is the migratory generation and can delay reproduction to live 8-9 months. They migrate south to warmer weather, because monarchs cannot survive Midwest winters. These migratory monarchs must make the journey to their overwintering grounds in central Mexico. For Nebraska monarchs, that means a 1,500 mile one-way trip; but for some Canadian monarchs, it can be over 3,000 miles!" The information on this website is from The Nebraska Games and Parks, on which you can read a lot more information. 
The explanation/photos on the difference between the male and female monarch, came from this website.
  In the next photo you will see the orange-red and black insect which is a milkweed bug, Oncopeltus fasciatusIt feeds on the seeds, leaves and stems of milkweed (Asclepias). It is found in small groups on milkweed often on the stems, leaves and on the seed pods. The bodies of milkweed bugs contain toxic compounds derived from the sap which they suck from milkweed. Milkweed bugs are true bugs (Hemiptera). Milkweed bugs are more of a nuisance than a threat to milkweed plants. They feed on the seeds by piercing the seed pod and can be found in all stages of growth on the plants in mid to late summer.In the above photo we found these milkweed plants at the garden. There is a great link here explaining all about the milkweed.  In the photo above you can see several milkweed plants. These were taken at another time when visiting Big Meadows on Skyline Drive.
Lastly but most definitely not least, I remember seeing one of Debbie's posts from 'It's All About Purple.' She was giving Monarchs a safe haven, allowing them to go through their life stages until they could be released. You can see her post here.  You can do a search on Monarchs at her blog. She has taken the most beautiful photos of them.
There will be more photos from Green Spring Gardens in a future post. I am spacing them out a bit, so as not to overload on photos.






34 comments:

  1. How I hope that these beautiful creatures (and so many others) can be saved. Thank you for this informative and lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Sue and me too! Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post, the Monarch is a gorgeous butterfly. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, it certainly is :) You take care and have a great day also.

      Delete
  3. Those butterflies are so beautiful, so are those shots, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible. I am amazed that monarchs can fly that far and back. I will definitely look into planting milkweed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing I agree :) That would be wonderful if you planted milkweed, thank you Jim and Barb.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Obrigado, concordo :) Um abraço e continuação de boa semana para você também.

      Delete
  6. Mesmerizing images dear Denise ,thanks for sharing them ,they just made my evening !!!!!
    this is beautiful post which i enjoyed thoroughly .Monarch butterfly is common here too but seen only during spring season .sad how different aspect are affecting their growth and migration . helpful plants is an easy solution if all think alike specially local authorities of each state .
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment Baili :) I am very happy you enjoyed the butterflies. How lovely you get to enjoy the Monarch's also. Yes, it's very sad and I hope they, and other species in the world, can be saved, and that the local authorities will get involved in saving them. Future generations will greatly benefit.

      Delete
  7. Very beautiful. I love butterflies, but don't see many in my backyard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Gigi, this was the most I had seen all year. I was very happy to be able to take their photographs, that they were thriving on those pretty flowers.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing this information

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so sad, and now I am wondering how our drought is affecting things we don't even think about. I do know our yard until the last 2 years was aways full of butterflies and flowers and bees, now we have none, we are also minus most of our birds. after reading the reasons here that is what has happened to us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make us wonder doesn't it Sandra? I hope yours comes back one day :)

      Delete
  10. Your photos of the monarch butterfly are simply beautiful, Denise. I have another blog friend who grows the Mexican sunflowers in her back yard. They are so pretty with so much detail when you look closely at them. Those orange and black insects look creepy, don't they? Wouldn't want them crawling on me. ; )

    Have a sweet October day.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sheri, thank you :) They were very cooperative that day and stayed on the flowers a little longer than they usually do. I bet your friend's flowers are a sight to behold. Yes, I'm always glad that so many of our insects don't get bigger ;), especially after I have seen detailed macros of them. They are quite startling and yet fascinating to me. You have a sweet October day also :)

      Delete
  11. Your photos of the butterflies are gorgeous. I've never been able to get good pictures of them. They always fly off before I can ever get focused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, I was very happy that they stayed on a flower long enough to get a photo, and there were so many of them. I loved watching them :)

      Delete
  12. Aren't they wonderful!
    It was a Canadian who figured out where they migrate. There is a great docudrama on that. I don't think I saw any this year, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful about your Canadian Jenn :) such an amazing event. I have seen them in nature shows in Mexico. It would be incredible to see them with our own eyes.

      Delete
  13. These milkweed bugs look so colourful and exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a fascinating little insect and I do like those colors :)

      Delete
  14. My goodness your monarch butterfly photos are gorgeous. Great information, too! I especially liked learning about the difference between the male and female. I need to look at some old photos to see which ones we've had visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Martha Ellen :) I thought the same thing when I found that. I will be taking particular note now. The ones here appear to be female.

      Delete
  15. Your photos of the monarchs are fantastic, Denise. I just love how they gravitate to the flowers as orange as they are. I hope you consider enlarging or framing one/some of these -- they merit that kind of attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So kind of you to say Jeanie and you have planted a seed. Thank you :)

      Delete
  16. I miss seeing monarchs on our side of the island. The crown flower bushes used to be covered with their caterpillars. I wonder if the emergence of non-native birds in the 40 years we were gone decimated the population.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that those invasive birds did a lot of damage Kay, and the mongoose correct? It is so sad that our unintentional ignorance of introducing many species did so much damage around the world.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!