Wednesday, October 11, 2023

ON OUR PREVIOUS VISIT TO GREEN SPRING GARDENS, A NICE SURPRISE…

 

when we came across a sweet pup.  Her owners stopped for us to pass and immediately we could see they were very proud of their little pooch.  The lady asked us if we would like to pet her as she recognized ‘dog people’. We stopped a few minutes to chat, but sweet corgi was more interested in a squirrel.  She didn't move or tug at her leash, she was happy to stare at the other furry creature foraging in the grass 50 feet away.  Definitely focused!

I didn't need much of an excuse to go on a search for information about corgis.

According to this website, there are two types of Welsh Corgis: the Pembroke Welsh Corgi and the Cardigan Welsh Corgi. They are considered two entirely different breeds because they come from different ancestors. Their remarkable resemblance is a result of crossbreeding in the 19th century. 

If you’re trying to tell the two breeds apart, the most notable difference is that the Pembroke Corgis have their tails docked (a procedure that is banned in several countries).  Cardigan Welsh Corgis also have rounded ears, while Pembrokes generally have pointy ears.  I am assuming our little friend is a Pembroke Corgi.

A warrior tribe of Celts brought the Corgis in their aboriginal form to Cardiganshire, Wales, around 1200 BCE, which means the dogs have been in Wales for over 3000 years. 

Although no one knows for sure, most agree that the Pembroke Welsh Corgi dates back to 1107 CE when Flemish weavers migrated to Wales. 

The Welsh used the short dogs as herders as early as the 10th century. In those days, pastures were considered common land, so there were no fences. To keep a farmer’s cattle together - yet separated from other herds - Corgis would nip at their legs to herd them. Because of their closeness to the ground, the dogs had easy access to the cows’ ankles and were difficult targets of the cattles' retaliatory kicks of cattle. 

Cardigans were found in the rough, rocky terrain of Cardiganshire in southwest Wales. Pembrokes were found in the flatter, easier terrain of Pembrokeshire in southern Wales.

Queen Elizabeth II's famous corgis were in fact the Pembroke Welsh Corgi.

There is more information at this link.

If you look closer, the differences are many. Cardigans have a long, foxlike tail whereas Pembrokes have their tail docked close to their body. Cardigans are slightly larger with heavier bone. Male Cardigans weigh up to 38 pounds while Pembrokes only weigh up to 30 pounds. The basic structure of the two breeds is also different. Pembrokes have oval bone and a squared-off rear end giving them a more linear and rectangular feel. On the other hand, Cardigans feel curvier due to round bone and a sloping rear.

The acceptable coat colors are more varied for the Cardigan. They come in brindle, black and white with brindle or tan points, red and sable with white markings, and blue merle. The only coat colors for the Pembroke are red, sable, and tricolor with white markings. Cardigans are also less restricted in their white markings than the Pembroke.

While corgis have two different types, they both evolved from the Swedish Vallhund. Also called Västgötaspets, this herding breed has an insulated double coat and a short, stocky physique similar to corgis.

Other links here and here if you want more information.

There is a wealth of knowledge to be found at many websites that pop up when you do a search.  I am always grateful to the ones I find that appease my curiosity.

Thanks for looking and enjoy the rest of your week.




34 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous creature, love it Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful dog! I can tell that she is well taken care of and good nourished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely Angie, in body and soul I'm thinking :)

      Delete
  3. I have always loved Corgis, they are one of my favorite dogs. But did not know a lot of this info, only that there were two different kinds. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Ginny and thank you :) I have loved corgis too and loved finding out all the information about them.

      Delete
  4. Aw what a cutie. I have always thought Corgis were adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth? Totally adorable! :) Thanks Ann!

      Delete
  5. Hello Denise :=)
    So sorry it has taken me so long to get to your blog. Your post today is very informative. and is about a dog I am particularly fond of as it was our family pet as I was growing up, but it was really my father's dog because they bonded right away, and he named it Captain. It looked like the lovely Corgi in your photo and was so intelligent. I did not know they at one time were herders, or about the other breeds.
    Thank you so much for bring back happy memories.
    All the best
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to see you Sonjia :) No worries on not visiting for a while. I understand completely. You are very welcoime and thank you for sharing those wonderful memories when growing up. I'm glad my post sent you down memory lane, and I enjoyed reading about it.

      Delete
  6. What a love she is! I often chat with a neighbor who has a brindle Corgi -- Teddy -- who walks by often. Teddy is very sweet but hasn't learned yet not to jump! So, I'm always prepared because I love petting him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teddy sounds a darling Jeanie in his boisterous kind of way :) Thanks for telling me about him. I love being around dogs too.

      Delete
  7. adorable Corgi, and well behaved. my son and his wife had to litters, 5 each litter, of ChiCorgies. a chihuahua dad and a corgie mom. talk about adorable. not well behaved though..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, that's interesting about your son and his wife. That sounds a very pretty combination. Do you have any photos? I have never heard of that mix before. Thanks for telling me about them :)

      Delete
  8. Very interesting, who knew they had such a history dating back that far?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim and Barb and yes, who knew? Love finding this stuff out :)

      Delete
  9. Lovely photographs of this corgi.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, he stood riveted on the spot, so easy to take a photo :) All the best to you too :)

      Delete
  10. It is wonderful to learn more about Cardigans. It is looking so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed every bit of this post and lingered over it! Thank you, D!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! So glad Cloudia and you are very welcome :)

      Delete
  12. Such a cute little dog. I've had dogs in all my life, and they really are special. This pup's coat is so soft and pretty. I'm glad you got a chance to visit with her. I hope she got that squirrel that caught her attention. ; )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheri, I agree, very special. I had dogs my whole life too, but we haven't had a furry-friend in many years now. Thanks Sheri :)

      Delete
  13. Such interesting information on these darling pups! I had no idea their background and the many differences in the different ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me happy you enjoyed the extra information Martha Ellen, thank you :) It was fun for me to find this all out also.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!