Thursday, October 5, 2023

NEW DECK - PART 3 - LAST POST OF THE BUILD

It's now completed and am writing this on 10-4-23.  It's been a few days since the hammers were put away.  

I thought I would add this, a comment made from Linda at A View from Squirrel Ridge in my previous deck post.  She told me that Trex is made in Winchester, (the same town where we visited the Lego Exhibit a little while ago).  They, Trex, make these decks from wood scraps and recycled plastic bags.  She says some of the nonprofits in that area have conducted plastic bag drives with Trex, and have given them a free bench for reaching a certain goal.  

Thank you for letting me know Linda.  I was a little concerned as I tend to be very much a traditionalist, not really wanting to go away from wood.  Now I feel much better that we made the decision to use Trex. 
There are eight of these lights around the deck.  The middle photo was me taking an angle from below the light looking up.
Regarding outdoor furniture, our hope is to put two lounge chairs in this corner with a table between them.  I also thought planters with trailing flowers would be lovely.  We don't get a lot of sunlight in this corner.  If any of you have good ideas what to put there, please let me know.  I am trying to get as much information before purchasing anything.  

It's at the end of the year of course, so all our plans will be on hold until springtime.  We are making a trip to the garden center as I thought it would be nice to have a few pots of mums around the place for the Fall.
I saw all the shadows on the deck so with camera in hand....
In this area we are thinking a round table with chairs and an umbrella,
My dear other half has been out here with the leaf blower several times.  At the moment we think it is a losing battle, because the leaves are now in the rainfall mode.  It doesn't stop him from trying though and he's out there at the end of the day doing his best, a task which I do believe he is enjoying.
 There is a bird station which is a must. Still pondering about that.
The last of my photos were taken at the side of the house.
We also have an idea to do a little landscaping around the bottom of the trellis work.
With all that said, we know plans can change. We might not get it all done for the springtime, but it's nice to look ahead, to have a goal in mind.  We will see what happens.

Thanks for looking at our deck-build.  Family and friends have been asking for details and this seems the easiest way to get it out there. 

Enjoy your day!




48 comments:

  1. You have so many large beautiful trees. And the deck is so big and beautiful! So will you have the birdfeeders and camera out there? It might be nice to get one of those fire pits for in the winter, they are so popular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny :) Eventually we will have the birds taken care of. With the material used, we just have to configure a few things. A firepower sounds very nice.

      Delete
  2. The trees are lovely and the desk is wonderful - looks good and enjoy time out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret :) we will. Now is the perfect time to sit out there. We have a couple of comfortable fold-up canvas chairs that will come in useful until we can buy a regular outdoor set.

      Delete
  3. Your backyard is beautiful. The new deck is like the crown and center of attention. I hope you make many wonderful new memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol :) I appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  4. It looks truly wonderful. Interestingly I saw an advertisement for Trex decking over here this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be careful where you place the bird station around your new deck. Beautiful birds make bountiful bm! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Know what you mean Linda and thank you for the reminder.

      Delete
  6. The finished product is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's gorgeous. I love the look of it. Back when I was thinking I was going to be ambitious enough to stain my deck this year I had decided I wanted a dark decking with white railing. I just love that look. I also like the privacy panels with the lattice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne :) The contrast between the deck and rail turned out better than we imagined.

      Delete
  8. Piękny taras , będzie miło na nim odpocząć. Miłego dnia:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękuję bardzo :) Nie mogę się doczekać, aby usiąść na naszym nowym tarasie.

      Delete
  9. I know you are both happy it is done and turned out so beautiful. I love the view of the trees where you are thinking of a table. i also like Ginnys idea of a fire pit down by the chairs. a safe one though. now we wait to see snow on the deck pictures.. it is beautiful and i am thinking the critters and birds are really happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra, we certainly are :) It will be very nice to get a few pieces of furniture out there eventually. Hopefully our birds and critters will enjoy it too!

      Delete
  10. Beautiful! Bring on the birds, bring on the squirrels, bring on the hours and hours of relaxation you are going to enjoy out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of those things, you know me well :) Thank you so much!

      Delete
  11. Your new deck is beautiful. The lattice is nice for privacy and I like the lights too. I am sure you will enjoy using your deck a great outside living area for you and the birds. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen :) much appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  12. Very nice, Denise. The added trellis pieces make things look neat and clean and the top pieces are great for some privacy. I like the lights, too, for added security and safety for walking and seeing the stairs, etc. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen we are very happy with the finished results :) The lighting has always been a big issue with me, as well as the solid handrail that goes down the length of the steps.

      Delete
  13. The deck looks great -- and I love the shadow pix. So nice that it's finished when the weather is still good enough to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie :) and the weather has been perfect lately.

      Delete
  14. That is a deluxe installation. It looks very nice and you guys will be spending a lot of time out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yogi, we are looking forward to enjoying it :)

      Delete
  15. It looks gorgeous! Take your time perusing ideas over the winter no rush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and for the great advice Christine :)

      Delete
  16. It's so lovely, Denise. I didn't realize that about Trex boards--win, win for the environment! Your plans for spring sound nice. That is one big project you all have tackled and I'm sure you are going to love it! So will all of your peaceful kingdom friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely a win Martha Ellen, thank you. I am looking forward to enjoying it and seeing our peaceful kingdom friends back. Love that last sentence :)

      Delete
  17. Wow, you've been busy with your new deck! I'll have to read your recent posts as to why you wanted to build it. I hope it all gets done for you when Spring arrives. It's starting to feel like Fall here, colder days and lots of pumpkin goodies.

    Happy October days to you, Denise.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheri :) if we get half of it done I will be a happy camper. We are getting warmer days this week with cooler mornings. Really love this time of the year. Happy October days to you too!

      Delete
  18. I think your new deck looks great, and that shadow photograph is lovely.
    This time of year it's a never ending task with falling leaves.
    I was out walking this afternoon and the leaves were crunching nicely when I walked on them ... I just couldn't resist :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan :) Isn’t that the most wonderful feeling, walking on crunching leaves? Another for me is driving on a tree-lined road, seeing the leaves falling and hearing the crunch of leaves as we drive along. All the best to you too.

      Delete
  19. While I haven't commented on all the posts about the new deck project, Denise, I have been following along. The completed project looks great and sure you will really enjoy sitting outdoors next spring and summer. Deciding what to buy will be another fun project, but perhaps holding off until the spring when there might be more choices and sales.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The new decking looks very smart. I'm sure you'll enjoy sitting out during sunny days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda :) I will surely enjoy the deck in the warmer months.

      Delete
  21. Looking good! A dozen squirrel feeders and a fountain would make the squirrels very happy. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, if I could I would put many out there :)

      Delete
  22. I've been gone a while with all our happenings. I just had to see how your deck turned out. I am SUPER impressed! It looks absolutely gorgeous. And how awesome that you learned TREX is environmentally conscious. I love the design! You have so much property. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kay and lovely to see you. We are enjoying the deck though will enjoy it even more next spring when we have some outdoor furniture out there :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!