Monday, October 16, 2023

MONDAY MORNING RECIPE POST - PEANUT AND CHILI NOODLES


Today's recipe came from a YouTube Video hosted by Yeung Man Cooking which you can find at this link.

3 tablespoons peanuts
1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
3 garlic cloves
2 green onions
250g udon noodles (8.8 oz. or thereabouts)
1 tablespoon chili oil
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 tablespoons water

Start boiling the water for your noodles.  

We used the following which we purchased at our supermarket in the Asian refrigerator section.  It was double what was called for, but we enjoy leftovers for the next day and double ingredients accordingly.  You might not want to do this and that's why I have not doubled up on the ingredients above.

Using a non-stick pan on medium heat, put in the peanuts and the white sesame seeds.  Toast for about a minute while slowly stirring. 

When nicely browned but being careful not to burn, transfer peanuts and sesame seeds into a mortar and pestle and crush coarsely, being careful not to overly crush so that they will retain some texture (we don't have one of these so chopped the peanuts up into smaller pieces).  Set aside for a garnish.

Put the garlic cloves through a garlic press if you have one, or finely grate or chop fine.

Thinly slice the green onions.  

With the water boiling, carefully add the Udon noodles and cook to package directions.  Carefully drain into a colander when cooked.  Our noodles were fresh and already cooked.  They didn't take long, not more than a couple of minutes.  

(This recipe works with any type of noodles.  You can use regular spaghetti or angel hair pasta, or any other favorite.  You can also use cooked rice instead of the noodle.)

Put the pan on medium-low and heat the tablespoon of chili oil. Add prepared garlic, stir and sauté for about 45 seconds, until it is golden but not burnt.  Add the sweet paprika, toasted sesame oil, the tablespoon soy sauce, dark soy sauce, rice vinegar, maple syrup, peanut butter, and water. Mix until well combined.  

Turn the heat up to medium.  To the sauce add the cooked and drained Udon noodles, along with the green onion/sesame seeds mixture, and mix until well coated with the sauce.  Cook this for two minutes.  

It's now reading to serve up.  

We prepared extra chopped peanuts and white sesames noodle mixture for a garnish at the table.  


It was an excellent dish and very tasty.  I would like to try the sauce with angel hair pasta, which is our go-to favorite when we make a spaghetti sauce.  The suggestion of substituting steamed rice for the noodles was a good one, as was adding other veggies.  I definitely recommend watching the video for anything I may have missed.

Our noodles didn't turn out quite as golden as his.  With us using additional noodles for our leftovers tomorrow, I think we would have to add even more sauce ingredients, but it depends entirely on your taste. 

We also added Siracha over the top of the garnish, for extra heat.  My dear other half added more soy sauce to his.

You can copy and paste the address below if you prefer.

https://youtu.be/1uOLXNgZYqg?si=aEoVTVjNlv8S0wCI





36 comments:

  1. An unusual combination of ingredients. But it looks so good, I might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love udons! It looks magnificent to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this recipe can be manipulated into IBS friendly. sounds delish. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Sandra, happy you can get it to work for you :)

      Delete
  4. It does look tasty and has a nice combination of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious! Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks delicious. I've never heard of chili oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, we only discovered it when we started making Thai food ourselves.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Muito obrigado, um abraço e uma boa semana para você também :)

      Delete
  8. Looks like a perfectly delicious and comforting weekday meal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy, I may have udon noodles in the cupboard

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never cooked with some of these ingredients. This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. It can but it would be easy to cut down on that side of things :)

      Delete
  12. Looks good Denise, thanks for sharing the recipe.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. A nice recipe that is unusual for us, but one I'm sure we would enjoy Denise. We love peanuts. Thank you for another good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Martha Ellen :) If you try it, I hope you will like it. It would be easy to adjust some of those ingredients to suit your tastes better.

      Delete
  14. Yumm. I still make your recipe for peanut butter sauce noodles with vegetables --it also has chopped peanuts. I forget what you called it, because I just typed "Denise's Peanut Sauce noodles as the title". This one sounds equally as delicious. I honestly didn't realize there are two kinds of soy sauce. Must check that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you have made my day, thank you Sallie :) I sometimes get confused with the soy sauces. I believe the dark soy sauce is thicker and saltier, but I am no expert so don’t quote me on that, lol! I will have to do some research.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!