Friday, October 13, 2023

GREEN SPRING GARDENS 10-1-23 CONTINUED...

This tree welcomes you as you walk up the path on the far-left side of the parking lot. It is a magnificent tree.

Thomas Jefferson, the United States' third president, loved the Willow Oak.  It was his favorite tree. It is a native of Eurasia but is also cultivated in North America and Australia.  On average they can grow to a height of 60 to 70 feet but have been known to grow as high as 120 feet. 
You will find them from New York south to Florida, west to Texas, Oklahoma and Missouri. It can look like a pyramid when young and it becomes rounder as it matures. An individual tree produces both male flowers (catkins) and female flowers.  The catkins represent an important spring food source for gray squirrels and many other animals.  Fruit from the fertilized female flowers are the familiar acorns that on the white oak mature after a single season.  These acorns (which are produced in abundance only every four to ten years) are readily eaten by many species of birds and mammals.  The gray squirrel is particularly fond of white oak acorns and is very important in both their dispersal and their planting.  Deer, grey squirrels, flying squirrels, chipmunks, turkeys, blue jays, red-headed woodpeckers and probably a few other critters I haven't read about, are very well taken care of by the White Oak. My information came from here and here.
You can read more about the tree at this link also.  The squirrel looks very comfortable on his perch.  I wonder if this is the same one our corgi friend was interested in from my previous post. We weren't very far away from our original sighting.
The White Oak is a hop, skip and a jump from the old house, which you can see on the left of my first picture.  I have shared this house many times during the lifetime of this blog.  If I had a dream house, this would be it.
There are several flowers planted in their front garden bed, and the geraniums in planters at each side of the steps.  

My favorites are the anemones.  
There are several types and colors.  The ones I share here are the pink and white, called the Grape leaf anemone, botanical name Eriocapitella vitifolia.  
It is also called the Grape-leafed windflower, because "Anemone" comes from the Greek word "Anemoi", which means "winds".  It originated in the Himalayas, is a perennial and belongs to the buttercup family.
We always enjoy checking out the produce garden, which is usually locked up behind a see-thru fence.  They grow their food and donate to the local food banks.  There is another garden we go to that does the same thing.
2,028 lbs. of food is amazing!  Here is a list of all that is grown and given away.  I applaud them greatly for doing this.
All for today!  I will have another post put together soon.

Thanks for looking and 
I hope your day is a great one.





42 comments:

  1. I think I hear a band playing in the gazebo! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of a Willow Oak. The house is beautiful, but my dream house would have a porch. The curve of the railings in the front is beautiful and graceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny :) I agree, a porch would be lovely! I have never lived in a house with one.

      Delete
  3. Lovely captures, nice house there as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, so happy you liked them :)

      Delete
  4. Love that they donate their impressive produce to food banks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, me too. That's a definite plus in the humanitarian area.

      Delete
  5. I love the willow oak very much too. It is so full of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful tree isn't it Roentare? :) for exactly what you describe.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful place. That's awesome that they donate all the vegetables from the garden. That house is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree Ann, it's a wonderful service they do for the community. I am very fond of that house, never get tired of seeing it and that's been going on for many years now :)

      Delete
  7. The willow oak is a beautiful tree. Love the house and flowers. Have a great day and a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, so glad you enjoyed and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  8. I've never heard of a Willow Oak but we had many white oak on our property in Wisconsin. I bet some wee over 3' in diameter and hundreds of years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been an incredible sight to see. They grow to an amazing age :)

      Delete
  9. what a great idea for the food banks. Now i am wondering why our Florida facilities for the homeless, don't have a garden the homeless could help with planting and tending and gathering. gardens grow year round here and the help would be free for food.
    that willow oak is amazing in looks and that it feeds so many. your favorite home is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That really would be a great idea for so many communities. I donate to the food banks with canned goods which I put into these large food bins at our supermarkets. You probably have them too I'm guessing? Thanks Sandra, have a great week :)

      Delete
  10. I'd hate to be the one responsibile for raking the leaves from that tree! It's magnificent and what a wonderful accent to the lovely garden. I love that house, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be quite a task Jeanie :) Thank you!

      Delete
  11. Awesome tree with many critters living off it. I would think the see through fence keeps the deer out. At least that what the fences do here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice post! Love it. That house is remarkable for its symmetry. Well balanced on both sides. Even the plants are symmetrical. I like it visually, but those interior stairs would hurt my sore knees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gigi :) Perhaps that's why I like this house so much. I tend to like balance and symmetry. No, stairs not good for sore knees.

      Delete
  13. What a huge tree! The squirrels and other creatures must be pleased when the acorns drop to the ground. We see grey squirrels in our local park. At this time of the year they're searching for those acorns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, I feel very small standing by it :) Thank you Linda, I always enjoy the squirrels searching for their acorns.

      Delete
  14. Hello Denise.
    Interesting post. Good photos of pretty things.
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Cuco :) I am glad you enjoyed. I hope your weekend was a good one, and I wish you a great week ahead.

      Delete
  15. This was lovely and interesting Denise. Thank you Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cloudia, very much appreciated. Have a great week and aloha :)

      Delete
  16. I didn't realize that the Willow Oak was a favorite of Thomas Jefferson! We have a Willow Oak on our property that we love. It's a wonderful shade tree and helps to keep us cool in the heat of summer. Thank you for the lovely photos of the pretty anenomes-gorgeous photos. The vegetable garden is so impressive and how great they donate all of the produce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband just said that when he read this post Martha Ellen :) I didn't know either until I started looking up info on the Willow Oak. How splendid that you have one on your property. It sounds gorgeous! Thanks so much and have a great Sunday and week :)

      Delete
  17. wow denise...what a beautiful place and that is one gorgeous tree!! i adore the anemones as well, a favorite flower that i often forget about!! i love the idea of having a vegetable garden and then donating the produce to food banks - how wonderful, i hope it does not get wasted.

    the last picture is so pretty, i think every garden should have a gazebo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie and thank you, glad you enjoyed. I hope so too :) It would be lovely to have a gazebo in our garden.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!