Sunday, October 8, 2023

HAPPY SUNDAY EVERYONE

 This is from my old blog, a bird we found while driving in the Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota several years ago.  The USA map below shows North Dakota in red.

It was well camouflaged and feeding in the same area as the prairie dogs.  It looked like the kind of bird you would only see on the seashore, some kind of sandpiper, but I believe this is a Killdeer (a Plover).


Killdeers breed throughout North America and northwestern South America (and a few regularly visit Iceland and western Europe).  They migrate only to escape snow, returning in spring before most songbirds. Killdeers are the ecologic equivalent of the lapwings of Europe.  They eat beetles, grasshoppers, dragonflies and other insects.  

(photo from pixabay.com)

The nest is a scrape in the ground lined with pebbles.  The male makes several nests, and the female selects one of them.  The eggs are four in number, grayish in color, with black marks.  The parents take turns incubating.  Hatching takes place in 24 days.  Both parents tend the chicks, which walk and feed themselves soon after hatching. 

(picture from pixabay.com)

Intruders are lured away from the nesting area by a "broken wing" distraction behavior, in which a parent bird limps or flutters along the ground, appearing to be injured.
A baby Killdeer, as shown in the next photo, like baby ducks, geese and other fowl, are what is called "precocial chicks".  These chicks hatch out of the egg covered with thick down, open their eyes quickly, and are perfectly capable of walking.  
(Photo is from pixabay.com)

Within minutes of hatching, they imprint on their parents and follow them tenaciously.  Both parents show them food items, which they pick up and eat.  The family unit stays together for several weeks.  Killdeer chicks grow rapidly, requiring huge amounts of food, but as the chick imprints on its parents almost immediately, it needs to be with them in order to recognize food and to eat.

You can read more and hear its call at this link.  Another website that has interesting facts with children in mind, can be found here. Yet more information came from another website.  I am always thankful to those who share such interesting information online.
Thanks for looking and
have a great day!






30 comments:

  1. It is indeed a Killdeer. We have quite a few. They have done the broken wing trick to me when they have babies I have a photo of the babies and mom, I should post it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen a Killdeer in our area. That would be wonderful to see your photos Ginny :)

      Delete
  2. Happy Sunday. We have plovers too. Sadly there habit of nesting on the ground puts them at risk. Gorgeous little birds aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue! I wondered how safe those nests would be. I wonder why they choose the ground to lay their eggs? Yes, they are gorgeous :)

      Delete
  3. Wow! If those bird couples help with sitting and feeding, more American males should take lessons from them! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, and for your comment which gave me a smile :)

      Delete
  4. Yes, that's exactly what that is. The house I grew up in had an empty lot next door for years. There were always lots of Killdeer there. I often witnessed their broken wing routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, thanks Ann :) that sounds like a nice memory.

      Delete
  5. So fabulous to discover this bird together with you. Looks exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. KILL DEER WERE COMMON WHEN I WAS A CHILD . I HAVEN'T SEEN ON IN YEARS. THEY USED TO NEST ON THE FARMYARD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful to be surrounded by them in your childhood. Thanks Red! :)

      Delete
  7. Wonderful information on the Killdeer. We do have them here. Hope you have a wonderful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed, thank you Ellen :) My Sunday has been a wonderful one thank you :) I still am unable to make a comment on your wordpress. I'll keep trying though.

      Delete
  8. we have these precious little birds here in our mudflats at Robinsons Preserve. they nest in the ground and there are signs to stay on paths because of stepping on their nests. that baby is so sweet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely Sandra! Interesting about the signs. I only saw the adult and have never seen a baby except in the photos. Delightful little things and I would be over the moon to see them with my own eyes. I only remember that one sighting years ago when I took this photo while traveling..

      Delete
  9. Very interesting. That baby kildeer is an especially cute little guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you think so Jeanie, and yes, so very cute! :)

      Delete
  10. Without a doubt the most familiar plover to the general public. I am confident you could find them in Virginia, especially along the shore, but probably even at your local golf courses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt you're right David, if I went further afield I would probably see them. The golf course sounds a good idea, if we played golf :) which we don't.

      Delete
  11. They're really pretty birds and I've seen that wounded trick behavior a couple of times. I told the mama 'you don't have to do all I wouldn't harm your babies for anything' but both times she didn't listen and kept limping along away from the nest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree Sallie, I was quite taken with the one I saw. Those little mothers are brave when it comes to protecting their young, all across the species I'm thinking :)

      Delete
  12. What a cute baby Killdeer.
    I hope you had a wonderful Sunday.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, totally agree. Our Sunday was lovely and I hope yours was too. All the best :)

      Delete
  13. Such an interesting bird! I remember seeing one out west many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the only one I have ever seen Martha Ellen. I would love to see another, keeping fingers crossed :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!