Wednesday, September 4, 2024

MORE FROM GREEN SPRING GARDENS, ALEXANDRIA, VA - 7/7/24

 Trumpet vine

I see the Trumpet vine in a lot of the places and have shared it before. It is also known as Hummingbird vine, Trumpet creeper, American trumpet vine and Cow itch vine! Botanical name is Campsis radicans. The ants seem to like it as you can see in the photos. The trumpet vine is a flowering plant that climbs as it grows. It gets its nickname from those bright flowers, which are shaped like long trumpet bells. 

The hummingbirds love to visit for its nectar, and no doubt that's why it has plenty of ants. It is an original native to eastern North America.

Above you can see the Balloon flower. I have seen the pretty purple color but not the white. This flower had the pods before bloom, flowers in full bloom and those that had gone past it and were shriveled and dried.  I found the three stages very interesting. You can read about it at this link.  A few other names are Chinese bellflower, Japanese bell flower, Chinese balloon flower and Platycodon. Its botanical name is Platycodon grandiflorus. It likes the full sun and is native to the mountains and fields of East Asia and the far eastern reaches of Russia. It was given the name balloon flower because the flowers have a tendency to expand and 'pop' like balloons if squeezed.


At the side of the visitor center there is desert-type garden. 

One in particular caught my attention. The tall plant on the left is a Foxtail agave, according to my plant app. Also known as Lion's tail, Swan's neck, Spineless Dragon-tree agave, with a botanical name of Agave attenuata. It is native to the State of Jalisco in central Mexico, a popular ornamental species in gardens in subtropical climates.  This link shows very interesting photos of why it got its name, thanks to the dramatic flower stalks produced by mature plants.

Agave is a type of succulent that is commonly confused with cactus. We are told to remember the rule that all cacti are succulents but not all succulents are cacti. The main difference between agaves and cacti is the presence of leaves, cacti do not have them while agaves do. This particular species grows best in foamy soil protected from direct sunlight. It may die if it is exposed to prolonged periods of frost. 

More information is about the botanist and geologist Henri Guillaume Galeotti who first reported the species in 1834, and since then only small colonies have been sighted in the Mexican states of Jalisco, Michoacán and Mexico. It is now grown in gardens around the world and has escaped into the wild in various warm, dry climates. It is actually very rarely seen growing naturally in its original native range in Mexico. (I always thank my plant app Picture This for most of my information on plants and flowers.)

I am grateful to the staff and volunteers who take care of this garden for us all to enjoy. I am also grateful to the original benefactors, Michael and Belinda Straight, who deeded their house and 16 acres to the Fairfax County Park Authority, on the understanding that the land remain a park. Even today the gardens include many boxwoods, azaleas, and rhododendrons from the time the Straights owned this property. I get much enjoyment learning about various flowers, plants and trees that are here, and one of the many reasons we keep coming back.

I will share more in other posts but this is all for now.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope 
your day is a great one.





44 comments:

  1. A different type of garden and wonderful to be able to see it through your lens, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, it truly is a pleasure to share this place :)

      Delete
  2. Fascinating information about the succulents and the cactus! It was right before my eyes all these years but you had to show it to me. Thanks pal aloha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my pleasure to share Cloudia, and thank you so much :)

      Delete
  3. I'm sure you get enjoyment from studying the various plants that you encounter on your walks. The information you share is always interesting. May you enjoy your walks. They are much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, I very much appreciate you letting me know how much you enjoy my posts :)

      Delete
  4. These flowers are just gorgeous. Always happy to observe these

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I learned something new today. I wasn't aware of the difference between a succulent and an agave

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place. Thank you for sharing some of its wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  7. its a beautiful park and so glad it will be kept for future generations to see, our world is being paved and built on and we need to at least save some of its beauty. the trumpet vine is a curse to us and one that is really taking over our fence now that bob is unable to keep it at bay. it and the Virgina creeper are battling to see who can take over casa Sandra/bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn’t agree more Sandra :) I am sorry to hear about your problem with the trumpet vine. It’s good to know this information first hand.

      Delete
  8. I love both flowers, it is a beautiful garden. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, they are beautiful flowers. You take care and have a great day too :)

      Delete
  9. Beautiful flowers! Thanks for the information about the difference between agave and cacti. Here we simply call them succulents...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so generous of people to leave their gardens for others to enjoy. The foxtail agave is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan! This is not the first story I have heard about people’s property being donated for others to enjoy. It is very heartwarming.

      Delete
  11. Such an interesting garden to explore. I love those trumpet vines, which are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It seems that these special gardens are getting better all the time.

    ReplyDelete

  13. The Foxtail agave is so impressive! Like it would be in the Southwest. I have only seen purple balloon flowers, too. The white is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, I was very happy to come across the agave in our local garden. I agree, the white balloon flower is gorgeous :)

      Delete
  14. Beautiful! I have a trumpet vine and blue balloon flowers. Soon they will be done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A beautiful sight no doubt. I shall be sorry to see the flowers go. Thanks Jenn :)

      Delete
  15. I love when you introduce me to new plants. That plant app is handy. What is its name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Carol :) The plant app is called PictureThis.

      Delete
  16. Such beauty in this garden and great variety as well. The trumpet vine is lovely, but some folks are allergic (me). Cow itch is what we know it by. My sister and I cleaned it off a very large oak in her garden years ago. We both were sorry...Even so, both of us could break out from chlorophyll contact. Thanks for telling me the difference between agave and cacti--I really had no idea! Here's hoping you are enjoying a little time outside on this gorgeous day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh know, that sounds horrible Martha Ellen. I am so sorry about your allergy. It must be very difficult to get out in the garden my friend. Something new I learned about this pretty albeit naughty bloom. Wasn’t it a lovely day? We went for a drive but only a short one. Still, it was lovely to get out, even for a short while :)

      Delete
  17. Hello Denise. I have just spend a lovely time catching up on all your August posts.
    I hope your knee is feeling better now after all that stair climbing!
    Thank you for sharing more of the plants in Green Spring Gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Beverley, thank you for catching up with my August posts. I still am limping around but healing if ever so slowly. As my dear old dad who was the same used to say, we are slow healers, bless his cotton socks :) so glad you enjoyed the garden.

      Delete
  18. What a lovely garden you've shared here.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, it certainly is one of our favorites :) All the best to you too.

      Delete
  19. I love trumpet vine....and hate it, too. It will just take over if given a chance, but it is so, so beautiful. I have never seen real balloon flowers but would like to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This vine sounds like it has a bit of the beauty and the beast thing going on Rose :) I see it growing in the wild quite a lot and in this case it was climbing up a very large treein the more natural area of the garden when walking down to the ponds. The balloon flowers are very pretty aren’t they?

      Delete
  20. Replies
    1. Muchas gracias :) Agradezco mucho tu comentario. Te mando un beso.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!