Wednesday, September 18, 2024

GLEN BURNIE GARDENS IN WINCHESTER, VIRGINIA CONTINUED - 9-17-24

It had rained before we got there, and the grass was wet. There were parts we had to tread carefully.  The benches were damp but weren't too bad. I was eager to see more of the glass exhibits we missed the last time we were here because of the heat. You can see that post at this link. I don't know whether we will be able to get back before the exhibit goes in October. We were also hoping that it wouldn't start raining again. Thankfully it didn't.


As we headed towards the garden after we parked the car, I noticed something fluttering in a bush next to the parking lot. It was a mockingbird. 

Gregg took all of the photos in today's post. I was very grateful to him for getting them. It has been several months since we have taken any shots of birds, and even longer of a Mockingbird. An interesting fact I found here, is that there are 16 species around the world that go by the name mockingbird. The Northern Mockingbird here is the only native of the United States. 


The bush we found our mockingbird is called the Honey Locust. It has a lot of names and one of them is Three-Thorned Acacia. Its botanical name is Gleditsia triacanthos.


We left him to his preening and crossed the road to the garden. I am once again starting too late to do a long post, but here's a preview of three glass exhibits. I will go into more detail next time.







There were lots of berries to keep the birds happy.


And on that note I will finish for now. More photos to follow.

Thanks for visiting and enjoy your day.







13 comments:

  1. Stunning! The colors in the big black flower are beautiful! We have a lot of Mockingbirds. I was attacked by one once. But I still like them. I see you hiding behind the berries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those are great shots of the mockingbird. And I will be looking forward to more shots of the the exhibit or anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That mockingbird looks so beautiful and I adore the glass art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those glass exhibits look gorgeous. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The glass exhibits are beautiful.
    The mockingbird seems quite inoffensive - why would anyone want to kill one? 😉

    ReplyDelete
  6. Swet bird there Denise and I do like the glass flowers. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are fantastic pictures of the mockingbird. The glass exhibit looks fascinating. That's something I would love to see in person. Look forward to reading more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Northern Mockingbirds are becoming an ever more frequent breeding species here in southern Ontario, clear evidence of a warming climate.,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Denise,
    Love the series on the Mockingbird. The glass exhibits are beautiful. Take care, have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgeous pics of that sweet little ruffled feathers mocking bird.. love all of them. I LOVE GLASS, these are amazing... love that flower

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice pictures, the bush the bird is on loos thorny. Love the colorful glass, so pretty. Glad it didn't start raining so you could enjoy it.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done on these lovely photos Gregg! The mockingbird is certainly doing well with all the thorns about him on the locust. I hope you have a good day Denise. I look forward to seeing more of the lovely glass you both viewed!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!