Monday, September 16, 2024

MONDAY MORNING RECIPE POST - CILANTRO-LIME BLACK BEAN RICE


My dish this week came from Julia's Album. The original recipe can be found here. It is described as an easy, light, delicious, gluten free side dish. It is flavored with lime juice and cilantro, which made it very yummy. If you don't enjoy these two items, you could replace them with your own choices. I especially enjoyed the added lime juice. I also like the idea of pairing it with Julia's recipe of Cilantro Lime Honey Garlic Salmon. You can find it at this link, but other favorite proteins would suite very nicely. 



Cilantro-Lime Black Bean Rice - 4 servings
Approximate calories per serving: 321

2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup Jamine rice, uncooked (you can use any rice that says on the packet that it cooks in 15 minutes)
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed (use one tablespoon first before adding another, to suit your own taste)
15 ozs. can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped


Use a large, deep skillet or a large sauce pan.

Add chicken broth, uncooked rice, 1/4 teaspoon salt and minced garlic to the skillet or saucepan.

Bring to a boil. Mix everything well and reduce the heat to a low boil/simmer. Cover the skillet with the lid. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, covered, until the rice is cooked through.

Remove skillet from heat. Mix in 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lime juice, rinsed and drained beans, and fresh cilantro into the rice. Add more salt and small amount of lime juice if needed to suit your own taste. Julia suggested 1 extra tablespoon.

Julia's note: she thought 2 tablespoons of lime juice (fresh squeezed only) are just perfect, but the lime flavor might be too strong for some people, so you might  just add 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoons instead of the two she used. I actually ended up adding more lime juice at the table but it's entirely up to you how much.

If you go to her website you will be able to read the full nutritional value of this meal, and see other very appetizing recipes.

(Less would be more trying to add the lime slices to pretty it up a bit, but it worked out as far as adding flavor to the dish.)

I read several comments and thought it would be a good thing to read first next time. Here are some of the things that took my interest.

Adding a fresh corn-on-the-cob and eating it on the side made a great meal for one commenter.

Another said that instead of the whole 2 cups of chicken broth, she substituted a can of coconut cream and then enough chicken broth to make up the 2 cup measure.

Someone else used a bowl with a bed of lettuce, topped with the beans and rice, plus tomatoes, onions, peppers and papaya.

Another commenter asked about making this dish the day before. The answer was yes, it can be made up to two days in advance and kept refrigerated.

Reheating can be done in the microwave, adding a small amount (a tablespoon or 2) of water, or freshly squeezed lime juice. This will prevent the rice from sticking.

Someone said hers was very starchy. Julia said to thoroughly rinse the rice with cold water before cooking and that should take care of it. This is something we noticed and we realized we had forgotten to rinse the rice.

Another person used cauliflower rice instead of rice and said it was delicious.

Someone used a few dashes of green Tabasco sauce (we splashed a little sriracha on ours). 

The dish can be served cold or at room temperature. (We said this would be a great dish to take on a picnic.)

One person used it in a family favorite which was a burrito bowl topped with salsa verde, honey-lime chicken and all the fixings for their particular dish.

Someone else used kidney beans instead of black beans, though the black beans made it look extra pretty in my humble opinion.


What did we think. Out of 10 out of 10, 10 being the best, Gregg gave this a 7 and I gave it a 9. He found it a bit bland and stodgy (the stodginess I think was because of not rinsing the rice. I didn’t think it was bland, just not highly seasoned.  There are times when I would rather have tasty but plainer tasting food). However, the more he ate, the more he liked and by the time he finished, his number became 8-1/2. He said he would eat it again but as a small side served next to a protein.

The first night we served it with an already cooked rotisserie chicken from the supermarket. The second night we bought shrimp which were sauteed in a separate frying pan.

I had this on its own for a vegetarian meal on the third day. There was just enough left for a light lunch and it was delicious. I had a quarter of lime left and sprinkled the juice on my serving. The more lime juice for me the better. I would definitely make this again.

Here is the full address if you want to copy and paste instead of using the link above.

https://juliasalbum.com/cilantro-lime-black-bean-rice/

Thank you for looking at this week's recipe. 
Have a great day!




48 comments:

  1. I loathe cilantro leaves and would definitely leave them out. Without that poison it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cilantro seems to be that way to many I know. Thank you Sue :)

      Delete
  2. Looks great Denise and I believe cilantro is also good for so many things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, we use it in several dishes we make :)

      Delete
  3. Very nourishing and satisfying for the cooler days. I would imagine. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing quite perks up a dish like cilantro and lime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you David and yet when Gregg and I first tasted cilantro at a friend’s house years before, we couldn’t stand it. Imagine our surprise when we finally added it to our shopping list, and discovered we had most definitely changed our minds. We have been adding it to recipes ever since :)

      Delete
  5. Looks very filling and comforting! I adore cilantro.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family would enjoy this recipe very much Denise. I think for me, I'd make it with cauliflower rice like one of the comments said as I eat low carb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cauliflower rice would be very nice with this dish Martha Ellen. I love anything with cauliflower :)

      Delete
  7. I love all beans and black beans are at the top of beans list, I eat a type of rice at least 5 times a week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s great Sandra :) Rice makes a very nice side. One of my other favorites besides black beans is butter beans.

      Delete
  8. Thanks Denise, another delicious recipe!
    Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Eileen and thank you :) I wish you the same.

      Delete
  9. It looks appetising and would make a fine main dish on its own, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice :) I try to put meatless dishes on the table at least three times a week. This is a very good one for that.

      Delete
  10. Black beans and rice is a Cuban dish I love. I like the sound of yours - lime added sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to find this Cuban dish Carol, thanks for letting me know. Yes, I love fresh lime :)

      Delete
  11. Really unique with the lime! And very healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, that’s what we were going for, the healthy part. Of course, we can make it healthier using riced cauliflower instead of rice. Next time! :)

      Delete
  12. That dish is very nicely presented and looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Denise, Thank you! I absolutely love cilantro and lime together!!! Saving it now! Have a cozy afternoon, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, so glad you liked it Billie Jo. Thank you my friend and you have a cozy afternoon also :)

      Delete
  14. this looks awesome!! as you said, it would be a wonderful dish for a picnic. your presentation is beautiful, i'm happy it was delish!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie :) very much appreciate your comment, about presentation particularly. I am always trying to improve on that and occasionally borrow the ideas of the original blog. Many are true artists in that area, Angie’s Recipes for instance.

      Delete
  15. Thank you for sharing this, Denise. Not sure if my family would like the black beans but I could substitute another bean instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Beverley :) The beans I used aren’t everyone’s choice I know, but substituting them to a favorite is always a win.

      Delete
  16. This dish looks Yummy, Denise. You know, I never really had white rice growing up. My mom made her wonderful Spanish rice. So, when I had kids, I always made white rice with meat, and really enjoyed it. To this day, I love white rice.

    Have a splendid September week, Denise.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you think so Sheri :) I had rice growing up but it was always in rice pudding with raisins, mum's specialty. The first time I had rice on its own or in a savory dish was when I got married. Thank you my friend and I wish you the same.

      Delete
  17. This sounds good Denise -- I always keep black beans in the pantry . I use the NYT cooking website and always read the comments before deciding to "favorite" a new recipe, especially when there is an ingredient or technique that is new or different for us..... I am trying hard these days to remind myself that trying new things is good -- I wish I enjoyed that as much using my new computer as I do with cooking!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dear Sallie, so good to see you again :) I will have to check out that website you mentioned. I often forget to read the comments before I prepare something. I should do that first of all as it would be a big help in maneuvering through the dish. We also like to try new things but only maybe a couple of times a week if that. We enjoy our old standbys also. For instance, supper tonight was a plain old tomato sandwich, on white bread with mayo and an ultra-thin slice of Swiss cheese. A commercial three bean salad on the side, along with a scoop of leftover cooked potatoes we cubed and sauteed until they were crispy. We try to keep away from bread as much as we can but it is a perfect fit to go with a tomato :) It was a 'time to get rid of that out of the fridge' evening, haha! Welcome back my friend. I am looking forward to visiting.

      Delete
  18. Your Cilantro-Lime Black Bean Rice recipe sounds delightful! The combination of lime juice and cilantro adds such a refreshing flavor. I love the tips and variations you shared, like using coconut cream or cauliflower rice—great ideas for mixing things up. It’s always nice to hear how recipes can be adapted to personal tastes and dietary preferences. Happy new week. Read my new blog post: https://www.melodyjacob.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melody, so glad you enjoyed :) and thank you for your lovely comment. Happy new week to you also and I shall be over to read your post soon :)

      Delete
  19. It was good to read that someone had used cauliflower rice ...
    Many thanks for sharing the recipe idea.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, a very nice low carb version. Thanks Jan, you are very welcome and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  20. Looks good, Denise.
    I like both cilantro and lime, so I think I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, happy you think so :) I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  21. Se ve muy rica adoro los frijoles negros. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias. A mí también me gustan esos frijoles. Te mando un beso :)

      Delete
  22. A new way to serve rice is always welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! This was the first time I added the cilantro and lime juice, and for me it took it up a notch. Thanks David :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!