Tuesday, September 24, 2024

GLEN BURNIE GARDENS IN WINCHESTER, VIRGINIA CONTINUED - 9-17-24 - PART 4

This time I am starting off with the Parterre Garden. As described on the pdf file at this link, "The Roman god Mercury takes flight in the center of this elaborate parterre (a level space in a garden occupied by an ornamental arrangement of flower beds). 
Mercury, the messenger of the gods, is also god of shopkeepers and merchants, travelers and transporters of goods, and thieves and tricksters. He's often compared to his Greek counterpart, Hermes. 
Many artists borrowed Hermes' attributes of winged sandals, cap and staff when depicting Mercury. This sculpture is likely a copy of Flemish artist Giambologna's Mercury. Giambologna (1529-1608) used Hermes's attributes in his version. Another version of Giambologna's sculpture is in the rotunda of the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C." Above is a repeat description of what I added in a previous post. You can see my photo of Giambologna's sculpture from a visit to the National Gallery May of 2021, where I also share other photos of the garden here, at this link.I couldn’t help but notice Mercury’s staff called a caduceus, as it reminded me of the medical symbol we see here and in other countries. What I learned was the staff is typically carried by Hermes/Mercury, of two serpents entwined around it. There is an article at the Mayo Clinic giving a more detailed explanation here. Legend states Hermes discovered two snakes fighting and thrust his rod between them. The snakes stopped fighting and wound themselves around the rod. Thus, this combination became the sign of settlement of quarrels.
It is the official insignia of the United States Medical Corps, Navy Pharmacy Division, and the Public Health Service, first used as a medical emblem in the 16th century.  More detailed information at this link also.
There was a lovely display of beautiful plants and flowers. These pretty pinks below are called the Polka dot plant, also known as Freckle face, Flamingo plant and Baby's tears, with a botanical name of Hypoestes phyllostachya.
This is called the Giant onion, also called Giant allium and Ornamental onion. 
Its botanical name is Allium giganteum.
Next are the African marigold, also known as Mexican marigold, Big marigold and Aztec marigold. Its botanical name is Tagates erecta

I was impressed with all the flowers that were still blooming. There are more to share but I will end here for now.

I always appreciate your visits. Thank you so much!

Have a great day!




2 comments:

  1. Wow, the giant Allium is amazing! I never knew there is such a flower. Here, we have the smaller purple ones. And the pink flowers are actually the leaves!! They are glorious! I have seen a plant by this name in the greenhouse, but it has green leaves with pink dots. The garden is so lovely. I did not know this much about Mercury. I would kind of be scared to run into him in a dark alley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful garden and statue, Denise...Thanks for sharing.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!