Thursday, April 4, 2024

THE TURNING POINT SUFFRAGIST MEMORIAL, LORTON, MEMORIAL CONTINUED...

You can read about the Memorial at this link.


I am publishing snippets of information from various places, and you can click on their title to get to that particular website. 

  Pieces of History, a blog from The National Archives.

What is Suffrage? 

This was written on May 14th, 2019, by Jesse Kratz

"This year we mark the 100th anniversary of the woman suffrage amendment, and as it turns out, a lot of people don't really know what "suffrage" means because it's mostly fallen out of common usage.  The term has nothing to do with suffering but instead derives from the Latin word "suffragium," meaning the right or privilege to vote. In the United States, it is commonly associated with the l9th and early 20th century voting rights movements."

Did You Know? Suffragist v Suffragette?

An Article from the National Park Service.

"Did you know there is a difference between a suffragist and a suffragette?

Although we often see suffragist and suffragette used as though they mean the same thing, their historical meanings are quite different.

The terms suffrage and enfranchisement mean having the right to vote. Suffragists are people who advocate for enfranchisement. After African American men got the vote in 1870 with the passage of the 15th Amendment to the United States Constitution, "suffrage" referred primarily to women's suffrage (though there were many other groups who did not have access to the ballot).

The battle for woman's suffrage was in full force in both Britain and the United States in the early 1900s. Reporters took sides and in 1908 a British reporter used the word "suffragette" to mock those fighting for women's right to vote.  The suffix "-ette" is used to refer to something small or diminutive, and the reporter used it to minimize the work of the British suffragists.

Some women in Britain embraced the term suffragette, a way of reclaiming it from its original derogatory use. In the United States, however, the term suffragette was seen as an offensive term and not embraced by the suffrage movement. Instead, it was wielded by anti-suffragists in their fight to deny women in America the right to vote."

and from 

Time Magazine

"The 'ette' suffix is a string of letters that came across the Channel - where the French still use it to denote something that is diminutive - and got absorbed into British English, before being shipped off to Americans in the New World. Over the centuries 'ett' has become a marker of things that are short or smaller-than-usual (cigarette = small cigar; roulette = small wheel), feminine and female "jockette = a female jockey; hackette = a female journalist), as well as imitative and inferior (leatherette = imitation leather; poetette = a young or minor poet).”


Getting back to the Memorial, the iron railings have an interesting story. The photo below, along with the information, came from the sign in front of the railings.


Here's the sign as a whole.


I cropped the part under 'Silent for Suffrage' so that it can be read more easily. You might want to enlarge for even more detail.


A close-up of the top part of the fence that Gregg took.


I will end my post here and will share the third and final part next week. My computer time will be a bit limited and as I mentioned before, I don't want to rush such an important part of our history. I have had my Friday to Monday posts already set up.

I hope you found this interesting. There is a wealth of information out on the internet, and I feel like I went down another rabbit hole, so to speak.








30 comments:

  1. Exactly Denise wealth of information. But some matches should not be forgotten and thank you for reminding them. I will go back over the weekend to the post to read it again. Extremely interesting❤️.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katerina :) much appreciate your kind comment.

      Delete
  2. Good grief, they were attacked and then arrested. They truly did suffer. And what cool facts about this word! And the many variations of it, which I did not even know about!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very harrowing experience for them. I'm glad you found it all interesting. Thank you :)

      Delete
  3. It is a fascinating period in history - and I am so grateful to those brave women.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, nice to meet you, I'm from Indonesia. Sorry, my English is not good. Talking about suffrage, "women". Is this related to the feminist movement of the 19th to early 20th centuries in Western countries?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you too and welcome to my blog. There is a translation box on my side box at the top of the page if that would help. You know more English than I do Indonesian and that is impressive. Thank you so much for coming to my blog.

      Senang bertemu Anda juga dan selamat datang di blog saya. Ada kotak terjemahan di kotak samping saya di bagian atas halaman jika itu bisa membantu. Anda tahu lebih banyak bahasa Inggris daripada saya tahu bahasa Indonesia dan itu mengesankan. Terima kasih banyak telah datang ke blog saya.

      Delete
  5. How interesting it is to read your post. We do learn a lot from reading Denise. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy you found it interesting and thank you Margaret :) We certainly do learn by reading, very true.

      Delete
  6. Most interesting. I had no idea women campaigning for the vote in USA were treated just as harshly as women in Britain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The parallels are pretty much the same Janice. Thank you :) I'm glad you found this interesting.

      Delete
  7. Interesting facts. I did not know all of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, a lot of it was new to me also. I didn't know the connection between the suffragettes and Lorton Prison. We would pass this place all the time. Men were held on one side of the road and women were held on the other, and it closed down a few years ago. Now it's an art center but the guard towers are still there!

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed this visit to the memorial. Thanks for sharing your visit.
    Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen and you are very welcome. You take care and have a great evening :)

      Delete
  9. Interesting about suffragist and suffragette

    ReplyDelete
  10. I learned a lot today and the most amazing was the added ette to words. wow, I knew none of that. I did know about a lot of the suffrage and also that this still goes on to this day, I think there are more women who vote than men these days. there are way to many men and women who do not vote. this is all very interesting and I liked reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, I found that fascinating about the ette :) I never thought about it before. I knew we had a lot of French words incorporated into our language, Indian ones too. I hope people will start voting more. So glad you found this interesting Sandra, thank you!

      Delete
  11. I knew none of this...your reserach has been thorough down the rabbit hole
    Hust Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My whole life I was always told I could be very focused Cecilia, either that or I had my head up in the clouds. It all depended on what caught my interest :) Rabbit holes and I are sympatico, and I am smiling. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  12. So happy to read more of your research, dear Denise. This important part of women's right to vote is fascinating. I'm so glad you go down these "rabbit holes of history". I am always in awe of your attention to detail on your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, makes me happy that you do :) I have to admit I can spend hours reading about this topic. The more I learn the more fascinating it becomes. Those brave ladies were incredible and whenever I vote I will always remember the legacy they left us.

      Delete
  13. I saw the movie "Suffragette" awhile ago, and I remember I enjoyed it, as I wrote it down, along with others that I liked. Very informative post, Dense.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheri, I will look for the movie :)

      Delete
  14. Super duper interesting read. Glad you don't want to rush the third part. Sound balanced and smart! Thanks for sharing this story with us. I truly enjoyed it. Cheers and boogie boogie, Ivy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that very much Ivy, thank you :) Cheers to you also.

      Delete
  15. Thank you for sharing these posts. It was amazing to read about these women who worked and fought tirelessly so that we gained the right to vote and to be heard in society. The statues are beautiful and so detailed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very happy you thought so, thanks Beverley :) I have another one set up for the 9th. It will be my last one from this visit.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!