Tuesday, April 9, 2024

THE TURNING POINT SUFFRAGIST MEMORIAL - LAST ONE

This is where we were heading today, the Occoquan Regional Park. We have been here before as I had another post which you can see at this link if you would like a refresher - or haven't seen it yet. It tells a little bit about Lorton Prison, so I may be repeating myself a little bit here. I also mention Dartmoor Prison which we visited often. Now that sounds a little strange. It was my dad who visited because of his work, we just 'saw' Dartmoor Prison when he dropped us off at a tearoom in the nearby town while waiting for him. At Lorton Prison I mentioned that Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald and Count Basie once performed in one of the fields. It was also where many years earlier, suffragettes were imprisoned and treated horribly.  
One of the birdhouses situated in this area of the garden, with a relatively young magnolia bush in the foreground.
There were several information boards, what the website called information stations. A website sharing more information and excellent photos you can see at this link. Just scroll down that page until you come to them.
I made a collage of various photos taken from these information boards.
The following came from their website here. It says it includes the three statues of prominent leaders I have shared. 

"The memorial includes three statues of prominent suffrage leaders, a Rotunda featuring the six pillars of democracy, and an Arroyo Bridge perfect for Girl Scout bridging ceremonies. Another major feature is the 24' section of the actual hand-forced, White House Fence (circa. late 1800's) in front of which suffragists picketed in 1917 that was provided to the memorial by the National Park Service. A Donor Wall lists the memorial's major donors.” 
There is a beautifully designed Memorial Garden where you can sit for a spell afterwards. Native flowers and trees have been planted, all with the suffrage colors in mind - purple, gold and white. My second photo above shows part of it. I would like to go back in the summer to see its full potential.
This is Alice Paul, who was portrayed in the first statue we saw just outside the entrance of the memorial. Her photo came from this page
For a reference I am repeating all the statues that were in previous posts.
This is Mary Church Terrell, and you can click on her name to go to more information. She is the second statue as you enter the memorial.  I borrowed her photo from this page.
This lady's statue is the second statue encountered at the Memorial.
The third lady is Carrie Chapman Catt, and she was an American Suffrage Leader. Her statue is the third one found in the Rotunda. More information can be read on this website.
This is her statue.
There was a railing showing plaques of various names from different states.  Gregg is standing in front of it.
These were those suffragettes who took part in the movement. I am sharing the one on its own because it is of two women from Virginia, Pauline Adams and Maud P. Jamison. You can click on both their names to go to more information. Reading about these ladies gives one a whole different perspective, makes them more real somehow. Both were from Norfolk, Virginia, where my husband was born and grew up.
The following is a collage of other names on this railing. There were ladies from several other states involved, but I didn't get them all. 
Also on the wall...
as was the following. The National Woman's Party awarded silver pins shaped like a jail cell door with a heart-shaped padlock to each of the women who had been jailed. The story of the Freedom Pin can be found here. This pin, called The National Woman's Party "Jailed for Freedom" pin was based on the Holloway Prison in England, that the English suffragette Sylvia Pankhurst gave to the suffragettes who had been imprisoned there.
If you want to learn more about where they were imprisoned, you can go to this page.

The stories of the pins and several other objects that were important symbols of the Women’s Suffrage movement can be found here.

I also found impressive photos taken on this subject by a Scottish photographer Christina Broom (1862-1239). At the website she is described as Britain's first woman press photographer. Those photos can be found here and were taken of the British Suffragette Movement. You can also read her biography at this website

The graphic below I didn’t find on any of the suffrage links, and I am not sure where I found them originally. They have been in my fashion folder for a long time. I have always enjoyed collecting pictures of clothing down through the ages. These seemed to be from the same time frame, give or take a few years.

"...the Nineteenth Amendment was ratified on August 18th, 1920.  The amendment removed bans on the American woman's right to suffrage."  You can read more here.

One last photo of the Beehive Kiln which you can see here

 The Occoquan Workhouse/Lorton Reformatory was closed several years ago. This link says that the last prisoners were transferred in 2001. We always passed it on our way to take a walk around Occoquan, which wasn't too far away. I knew on one side of the road we drove down, was for the men and the other was for the women. The guard towers are still there, although it has been turned into a very nice art center. It includes The Lucy Burns Museum which I would like to visit sometime. Lucy was one of the suffragettes imprisoned at the facility where she spent more time than any other suffragette.

I never knew any of the history back then. It's been eye-opening and mind boggling, and we owe them our own right to vote, a debt that will never be repaid. I may have taken that for granted. No more!

In all my links today there is a wealth of information. What I have given are mere snippets of a more powerful story.

Thanks for visiting and I hope you have found these posts interesting. This is the last one from our visit.

Have a great day!





38 comments:

  1. They did such a wonderful job with this!! Lots of things I did not know. And I love how you show the statues, then the real woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did indeed Ginny. So glad you found it interesting :)

      Delete
  2. Oh Denise, I have thoroughly enjoyed these very special posts about these extraordinary women that we do indeed need to remember. The photos of each one tells a unique story of those brave souls that we owe a debt of gratitude. I am still sad that the Equal Rights Amendment has never been ratified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you have Martha Ellen. I thoroughly enjoyed putting it together. There was a lot that I learned too :) I know what you mean by your last sentence. Hopefully one day but it may be a while, sad to say.

      Delete
  3. You have compiled a collection of informative pieces on this memorial. An enjoyable post to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you roentare, I am so happy you found it enjoyable :)

      Delete
  4. Throughout history men have tried to subjugate women. It continues today in the Middle East, among other places. They will achieve equality eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great job you have done in reminding us of the bravery of these remarkable women. They would be dismayed at the course of events today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David, I tried my best. Perhaps they would be surprised about today, or perhaps not :)

      Delete
  6. Great post, it is a beautiful park and memorial. The sculptures are lovely.
    I am thankful for these braves women. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, me too, very thankful. And I thank you for your comment and wish you the same :)

      Delete
  7. I am thankful they were there then to suffer and give us the rights we have today. all women need to know about this, and I am almost 80 and knew only a small part of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra, we are always learning about history aren't we?

      Delete
  8. These women were so awe inspiring. Brave, hardy souls all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I said before we take so much for granted

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, so much fun....I love that you are out and about just traveling around. I need to get serious and start doing some moving and traveling myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed Pam :) It is good to get out and about and fortunately we don't have to go too far afield.

      Delete
  11. What a fantastic post. Filled with so much wonderful information. I can't imagine going through what these women did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very happy you think so Ann, thank you :) No, I can't imagine either and still having to deal with such things.

      Delete
  12. Oh this will be a fun walk!! You have lots of lovely parks in your area
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cecilia, we certainly do and so much history in such places too :)

      Delete
  13. This is really interesting. I love the blossoms best, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn, the blossoms certainly were beautiful :)

      Delete
  14. These women were awe inspiring.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful women! Fortunately they captured their struggle with these wonderful statues. Denise thanks for the report and info, you did an amazing job.We must remember them❤️.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Katerina :) The park service did a wonderful job of capturing the essence of these brave women. As you say, we must remember them for what they did for future generations.

      Delete
  16. Interesting post. Lovely ladies, so admirable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly on those ladies Linda, very admirable! :)

      Delete
  17. We owe so much to these very brave women! Its a beautiful well deserved memorial/park. Thank you for sharing your visit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Sallie, and thank you :) Amazingly brave!

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!