Monday, April 22, 2024

MONDAY MORNING RECIPE POST - CROCKPOT SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE SAUCE new blog

 

Another old recipe. I am always looking for healthier versions of favorites, and when I found this at Gina's skinnytaste.com blog, I decided to give it a try.  It works out to approximately 146 calories per 1/2 cup serving.  If you click on the name it will take you to Gina's recipe.

The other good news for me is that this is a crockpot meal. There is a little preparation beforehand. You can use your food processor if you have one.  I do all my veggie chopping by hand but start early in the day when my energy levels are pretty good.  It is at a time when I still find the process of preparation relaxing.

Crockpot Spaghetti Bolognese Sauce

4 ounces of Pancetta, chopped (or center cut bacon)
1 teaspoon butter (or olive oil)
1 large white onion, minced
2 celery stalks (about 3/4 cup), minced
2 carrots (about 3/4 cup), minced
2 lbs. 95% lean ground beef
1/4 cup white wine (I prefer red)
2 cans (28 ounces total) crushed tomatoes
3 bay leaves
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup half and half cream

In a large sauté pan, sauté pancetta on low heat until the fat melts, about 4-5 minutes.

Add butter (or olive oil), onions, celery, carrots and cook on medium-low heat until soft, about five minutes.

Increase heat to medium-high and add meat, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until browned. Drain the fat, then add the wine. Cook until liquid reduces down, about 3-4 minutes.

Add this mixture to the crockpot, along with the tomatoes, bay leaves, salt and pepper.  Cover and set on low and go do other things for the next six hours.  After six hours, serve up your dinner.

Added note: 4-24-24

Thanks to Debbie's comment I realized I hadn't mentioned when to put the cream into the sauce. I add it a few minutes before serving up, and only long enough that it is heated. Thanks Debbie!

I don't actually add the cream as we think it's fine without, and cream and I are not friends.

Sprinkle chopped parsley over the top for a garnish.
Another good result, very yummy and a keeper.

We both prefer Angel Hair pasta instead of regular.  

Lots of leftovers and I served it with a mixed green salad.  Above is an old photo when I made this meal originally. We most often don't add bread to our pasta meals any more. 

There were leftovers which I froze for no cooking days.  

Thanks for looking, have a great week and



53 comments:

  1. Looks like a comforting and very satisfying meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like pasta and cook it often. Looks like a delicious recipe Denise.
    Good morning🍝🧡!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a favorite around here Katerina.Thank you and good morning too, though I see it has passed the noon hour so good afternoon :)

      Delete
  3. Easy, tasty recipes are always a win. I hear you on preferring to do food prep early.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice recipe but I would have to use a bit of sugar to take out the acid from the tomatoes otherwise we both would suffer.. 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spag bog is one of our favourite dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we love spaghetti and this one sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks absolutely delicious. I love being able to freeze extra for no cook days too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pasta and bread together always seemed a bit over the top to me, but many do it, I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, there are a lot of people who enjoy garlic bread with their pasta, and that's wonderful! The pasta is more than enough for us these days :)

      Delete
  9. I've never owned a crockpot or slow cooker. Though always heard good things about them. Your meal looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was given one a long time ago Ivy and it lasted more than 20 years. I did without for a while but bought another. It's great for the summer months when you don't want to add extra heat to the humidity that we get here.

      Delete
    2. I love that. I use an instant pot though have my eye on a slow cooker for when we move. I love good solid kitchen tools. PS: There's a slow cooker mode on the pressure cooker. I'll have to try it. Thanks!

      Delete
  10. We are having a version of spag bol for tea tonight. Can't wait :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds wonderful Beverley :) I know you'll enjoy that.

      Delete
  11. That sauce looks like it has some good depth of flavor to it! Happy New Week to you, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really nice though I think I would add mushrooms next time. Thanks Ellen :)

      Delete
  12. Such a good idea - a big batch of spagetti sauce and then freeze some! I also forget about making it in the crock pot. For some reason, I used to get a layer of oil on the top of my sauce whenever I used the crockpot and think that is why I sort of forgot about it that way. I need to try again!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jennifer :) A layer of oil is never very appetizing. I wonder if draining the meat after cooking and 'mopping' it before putting it into the crock pot would help?

      Delete
  13. We were just talking about how we have kind of forgotten about the crockpot lately and I said I'd dig out some recipes .... voila, you did it for me! I can see where it would freeze beautifully and I know even with our healthy appetites there would be leftovers, so it's a real win-win!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, I'm glad I shared this today then :) Thank you my friend and you are very welcome!

      Delete
  14. We have pasta fans here that would love it if I made this, Denise. Looks tasty and a good recipe to keep on hand for those busy days ahead. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much my friend and you are very welcome :) Most definitely a great meal to keep for busy days.

      Delete
  15. The Grands enjoy 'Spag-bol'
    Many thanks for sharing this recipe.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Jan and thank you! It certainly is a kid-friendly dish :)

      Delete
  16. I have never made a sauce in the crockpot, although it makes sense to do so, Denise. This seems like an easy enough recipe and once the prep is done and crockpot set up, the only thing left is to cook the angel hair pasta. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Dorothy, if you try it I hope you like it as much as we did :)

      Delete
  17. this sounds so good, i love cooking in one pot or a crock pot. i assume you add the cream at the end and maybe let it cook a few minutes. this is definitely something i would make. and i love how quickly angle pasta cooks up1!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ups! Thanks for pointing that out Debbie. I forgot to mention that in the directions, probably because I don't use it in my recipe.

      Delete
  18. You know, spaghetti is one of my favorite dishes. This looks really good, Denise. Sometimes angel hair pasta is the best.

    You're always cooking something special in the kitchen. ; )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful Sheri :) Glad you liked the look of this. It was an old recipe and I didn't make anything new. Thankfully I have some old ones to rely on :) Thank you so much!

      Delete
  19. I forgot how I used to look forward to your recipe posts...some of them sound so good. And used to Roger would have like this...now, I am not so sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, that's so sweet of you. Our tastes do change for one reason and another. Always thinking of you and Roger :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!