Wednesday, April 3, 2024

TURNING POINT SUFFRAGIST MEMORIAL, LORTON IN VIRGINIA

I am continuing my post from this link. A few days before, I found out about The Turning Point Suffragist Memorial. I am always intrigued by this part of history. I will be putting another post together after this one, as there are more photos and more history to share about this time, and the suffragette connection to Lorton.
My first photo shows a statue of Alice Paul who was a member and leader of The National Woman's Party. She stands at the entrance. Throughout this post I have included information I found online, and you can read more about Alice here.
She was described as "A vocal leader of the twentieth century women's suffrage movement, Alice Paul advocated for and helped secure passage of the 19th Amendment to the US Constitution, granting women the right to vote.  (There are great old photos at these links.) 
She was born on January 11th, 1885, in Mount Laurel, New Jersey, and was the oldest of four children. Her parents were Tacie Parry and William Paul, a wealthy Quaker businessman. She was a descendant of William Penn, the Quaker founder of Pennsylvania. Her ancestors included participants in the New Jersey Committee of Correspondence in the Revolutionary era and a state legislative leader in the 19th century. She grew up in the Quaker tradition of public service. 
Ms. Paul’s parents embraced gender equality, education for women, and working to improve society. Paul’s mother, a suffragist, brought her daughter with her to women’s suffrage meetings, and was 
a member of the National American Woman Suffrage Association (NAWSA).
The next statue just inside the memorial grounds was that of Mary Church Terrell, the daughter of former enslaved people, born in Memphis, Tennessee. She was a well-known activist who championed racial equality and women's suffrage in the late 19th and early 20th century. 
Mary Terrell, born Mary Church on September 23, 1863, and was one of the first African-American women to earn a college degree. She taught in the Latin Department at the M Street School (now known as Paul Laurence Dunbar High School (the first African American public high school in the nation, in Washington, DC.) 
Ms. Church's mother, Louisa Ayres, was a successful entrepreneur at a time when most women did not own businesses. She is credited with having encouraged her daughter to attend Antioch College Model School in Yellow Springs, Ohio, for elementary and secondary education, because the Memphis schools were not adequate. 
She was an avid suffragist for many years, going back to when she was a student, and continued to be active in the happenings within suffragist circles in the National American Woman Suffrage Association. Through these meetings she became associated with Susan B. Anthony, an association which Ms. Terrell describes in her biography as a "delightful, helpful friendship," which lasted until Ms. Anthony's death in 1906.  More can be read about Mary Terrell here.   
Next, Carrie Chapman Catt (born Carrie Clinton Lane; January 9, 1859 – March 9, 1947) was an American women's suffrage leader who campaigned for the Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, which gave U.S. women the right to vote in 1920. 
Ms. Catt served as president of the National American Woman Suffrage Association from 1900 to 1904 and 1915 to 1920. She founded the League of Women Voters in 1920 and the International Woman Suffrage Alliance in 1904, which was later named International Alliance of Women. She "led an army of voteless women in 1919 to pressure Congress to pass the constitutional amendment giving them the right to vote and convinced state legislatures to ratify it in 1920". Ms. Catt "was one of the best-known women in the United States in the first half of the twentieth century and was on all lists of famous American women." Her story can be found here.
 
More next time! I don't want to rush through as there is much to say about the brave women I learned about. Not only these ladies here, but many who were involved in the vote we now have today.







44 comments:

  1. Amazing post Denise!! I'm preparing this week a simple text about Maria Montessori and I can't finish it!! Great photos and lots of information. Thank you🌼❤️.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katerina , I'm glad you liked it. I will be very interested in your post on Maria Montessori. Sometimes it takes a while to complete a story, I know that myself :)

      Delete
  2. These sculptures are wonderful! You can see such distinctive features in each of their faces. And I knew nothing about any of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like them Ginny :) I was very taken with each statue. I know I have mentioned this before, but we can learn so much from blogging. You've introduced me to things that I have never thought of, and it sews a seed to learn more.

      Delete
  3. This is a well written article about this lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that Roentare, finding out about the other websites made a wonderful read for me :)

      Delete
  4. I am grateful to the suffragetted - the world over. These brave and determined women achieved a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, everywhere :) and hopefully there are others even now who will regain their freedom of speech.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful post about these strong women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, they were very strong weren't they, and many more like them :)

      Delete
  6. How saddened these pioneering women would be to know that so many people, men and women both, do not bother to vote. Fascinating post, Denise, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so and you are very welcome Janice :) When I visited the memorial, I was determined to write these posts. We owe them so much and as women voting now, it is such a privilege and something we take for granted. I will always vote, no matter how small the election.

      Delete
  7. Lovely sculpture Denise and good information...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Margaret and thank you :)

      Delete
  8. They are beautiful sculptures, great post on these brave and amazing women! Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, glad you enjoyed and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  9. These women deserve our admiration and respect. It is daunting that many in society today wish to push back the clock. Misogyny, discrimination, the glass ceiling and racism are not only alive but are thriving. If only those statues could come to life and inspire us again today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment David. This seems to be happening everywhere and there should be no room for such things. Thankfully there will always be those who won’t allow the clock to be turned back. The legacy they left will keep being heard.

      Delete
  10. although i have often said how thankful I am to the women back then who fought for our rights, I knew none of these details and did not even know their names. the odd thing is, the first one, born in 1885, my dad's mother was born in 1886, and he maiden name was Terrell, shared with the next woman here.
    thanks for sharing the info and the wonderful statues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Sandra and thank you :) That's a very interesting connection. Wouldn't it be something if they were related?

      Delete
  11. I know this about voting, but I love these long dresses. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sandi, the style of clothing was beautiful! :)

      Delete
  12. Denise thank you for the time and effort put into this post. I knew some of it but learned so much new. I see you are friends with MaD Snapper!! She and I go back to 2009 when I started blogging too.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, and it has been really nice to meet you Cecilia, and thanks for coming to my blog. I love visiting MaD Snapper's blog and will look forward to visiting yours too :)

      Delete
  13. We owe such a lot to these pioneers of freedom for women's rights. I admire the suffragettes and these wonderful statues are well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do Sonjia, so very true :) I agree with you very much.

      Delete
  14. You found the story of many prominent women who brought about changes and improvements for women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, it was like a snowball, So many brave women then and now who are carrying the banner, so to speak.

      Delete
  15. I am really proud of these women, who led the way for all of us. The right to vote is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These women deserve such a memorial. It's quite lovely, Denise. We all stand on the shoulders of those that came before us. Thank goodness for their bravery. Considering it was not that long ago gives me chills to think about. Thank you for sharing this very special place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Martha Ellen, and thank you :) "We all stand on the shoulders..." beautifully worded.

      Delete
  17. The statues are beautiful. We must honour the women who paved the way so that we can vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they Linda? :) And we honor them by voting. They left a marvelous legacy.

      Delete
  18. The sculptures/statues are wonderful.
    Well done on a great post.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, so glad you thought so :) All the best to you too.

      Delete
  19. Wow! I need to remember things like this. Sometimes I feel like society has not made any progress but actually we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you will enjoy it Linda and we have :) There's a museum there also across the street. I'm doing one more post and I will mention in my next post.

      Delete
  20. Interesting post and great photos, well done. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, much appreciated :) Cheers to you also!

      Delete
  21. This is really interesting, Denise. And the statues are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you found it interesting Jeanie :) Thank you!

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!