Thursday, April 25, 2024

WE TOOK A RIDE UP TO SKYLINE DRIVE ON MONDAY - 4-15-24

When we see the sign in the above photo, we always know we are getting close to the Thornton Gap entrance. There are several entrances, but this is the one we usually take getting there. Our route took us through Sperryville

We followed the mail truck for a while. 
You can read about the history of Skyline Drive at this link. It also has a map showing its length, which is 105 miles north and south along the crest of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Shenandoah National Park. We drive to Big Meadows and then carry on to the next exit at Swift Run Gap near Elkton, heading towards Stanardsville.

The road going through the mountain is called Mary's Rock.  No one knows with any certainty how it got its name, who was Mary? The story that seems to be more popular than most is that of a young girl by that name, who was lost in the mountains, and was later discovered walking down from this peak with two bear cubs. Whether or not as to its truth, the 360 degree view from the top is one of the most spectacular in the park. The first overlook as you get out of the tunnel is the one we stopped at.
The tunnel is 670 feet long and was bored through solid granite in 1932. Below is an information board with a few details.
I cropped my photo above for an easier read. If you enlarge the photos it will be even easier.
Unfortunately. the character's shovel is right in the middle of the photo below.
The tunnel was partially lined with concrete in 1958, to alleviate the formation of icicles in winter and water seepage in summer - a partially successful effort.
The building of the road was put into motion by President Herbert Hoover (31st US President from 1929 to 1933). He had a fishing camp that is still in the park apparently. President Hoover was already very familiar with the area, and it was he who proposed the building of the road. There were national parks out in the western part of the United States at that time, but none here. The Government was looking to build a park somewhere in the East and Virginia advocated very strongly for it to be built in this State.
3,000,000 young men were hired by the The Civilian Conservation Corps during The Great Depression. They did jobs like plant trees, maintain trails, control mosquitos and infrastructural projects like building Skyline Drive. 
All had to be in their early 20s and unmarried, so that part of the money that they earned would also help support their families back home. They lived in the park and were paid $30 a month, $5 of which they were allowed to keep, and $25 dollars was sent home to their families.  
There is an interesting YouTube here, telling in brief about the people who were displaced. They had lived their whole lives before it was made a National Park, and subsequently removed from their land without a choice. (I did read somewhere that elderly people were allowed to stay.)
Some were happy to go but others were not.
More history of the park can be read at this link.
Here are 15 of the best things you can do in the park.

At the time of this post, there is a $30 entrance fee per vehicle, and you can read other information at this website.  We bought a lifetime pass several years ago. Wherever we go in the United States, we can use it to get into every National Park. You can read about them here. Inpart it reads:

“The National Park System encompasses 429 national park sites in the United States. They span across 84 million acres, with parks in each state and extending into the territories, including Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa and Guam.”

There is free entry on special days of the year.

Monday, January 16th - Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
Saturday, April 22nd - First Day of National Park Week
Friday, August 4th - Anniversary of the Great American Outdoors Act
Saturday, September 23rd - National Public Lands Day
Saturday, November 11th - Veteran's Day

This post is only a very tiny view into how beautiful this area is. We have been coming here off and on, depending on where we have lived at the time, for well over 40 years.
I'm afraid these were the only deer we saw that day, two plastic ones on someone's front yard on the way home. They fooled me for a few seconds, but doggy here saved the day.
A clearer picture of doggy fix, and the telephone lines didn't bother me a bit.

Thanks for visiting everyone, and I wish you all a very happy Thursday.




56 comments:

  1. What interesting photos and information Denise. Thornton Gap looks like a very interesting park and as I read in the link you can do a lot of things there. It's very nice that you go often.
    Thanks for the tour!
    Have a great day🌼!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katerina, you are very welcome and I am happy you enjoyed :) I wish you a great day also.

      Delete
  2. This is our territory! We live about an hour from Elkton. And are at the very foot of Skyline Drive and Afton Mountain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful Ginny, you live in a beautiful area :)

      Delete
  3. My claustrophobic self would not enjoy going through that tunnel - though the park looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, tunnels can give pause can’t they? :)

      Delete
  4. Looks such a really nice area, and that tunnel is amazing.
    I've a friend who used to live in Burke and was a hiker in that area, even though it's a vast one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s quite a coincidence Margaret, we lived in Burke for a year when selling our house in California and looking for a new one here in Virginia :)

      Delete
  5. Stunning place. The engineering work for the tunnel was amazing.
    I shall be singing, 'Shenandoah, I love your daughter' all day, now:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a song I remember so well Janice. Methinks I will be singing it all day also :)

      Delete
  6. The information and the photos of your drive are very interesting Denise. The photos show spectacular scenery and I can understand why you like to visit as often as possible. You have wonderful national parks thanks to the people who made the roads through the rocks and gave up their land. The scheme during the Depression era was particularly interesting.
    Thank you for this blog post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, it is a wonderful area :) we are very fortunate to have had this land set aside for future generations to enjoy. However, it does make me very reflective on the hardships and sacrifices people made because of them.

      Delete
  7. What a fascinating place with so much history. I can't imagine digging that tunnel. And to hear that men made $30 a month and were only allowed to keep $5 for the whole month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann :) it’s amazing to learn the history behind these places.

      Delete
  8. Gee, the work force was lily white back then wasn’t it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment also made me very reflective David. I am going back to find out more about this time.

      Delete
  9. It's been many years since we took a drive along Skyline Drive, Denise, and I believe it was when we were living in VA. We also have a lifetime park pass and gthis post reminded me that it's been a while since we've used it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to the time you do Dorothy :)

      Delete
  10. I watched the video...Government overreach! People kicked off their ancestral lands for a park. I'm with the people who said there was never going to be enough money for them to give up their homes. Why those families weren't allowed to stay, is beyond me. Sorry but I'm tired of government overreach.
    Loved the dog...lol
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blame the state of Virginia for that injustice. They wanted that park so bad that they acquired the land for the federal government.

      Delete
    2. Hi Donna, I didn’t know anything of this. It is heartbreaking to know these people who were kicked off land they had lived all their lives in.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for clarifying that Linda.

      Delete
  11. Skyline Drive is a very nice way to get out into nature. We always enjoy our drives there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Linda :) so good to know you have enjoyed it here :)

      Delete
  12. The tunnel is amazing. I would love to visit the national park!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's good that people saw the need for a park to protect special areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Red and it would be great to explore those protected areas in Canada also :)

      Delete
  14. That looks like a great road trip. I think I would hang on tight till I got all the way through that tunnel and have a sigh of relief getting to the other side! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Ellen but we always literally see the light at the end of the tunnel :)

      Delete
  15. Denise what a fun and beautiful post.
    We absolutely adore the mountains in NC and VA. Riding on Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway are always breathtaking
    Hugs
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree Cecelia :) we have also driven the Blue Ridge Parkway and it is breathtaking. Sending hugs!

      Delete
  16. I wish I had a photos of Beau when we are reading like this one here. I often wonder what people think when they see his big head out the window. this dog looks like they have the window part way, we do that, just big enough for head to go out. for safety. I always enjoy anything about your visits to Shenandoah! I only have the memory of seeing it in Jimmy Stewart Movie of the same name...can't be a prettier place on earth than it is.. what a great idea to by that pass .. Enjoy, and we will enjoy the fruits of your buying it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Jimmy Stewart movie was one of my favorites all those years ago. What a great actor he was and little did I know! I would love to see Beau with his head out the window. Dogs love doing that don’t they? The pass has been used in several other National Parks on our road trips. I hope to use it many times :)

      Delete
  17. Excellent post and very informative, thanks. Not sure I would be brave enough to go through the tunnel! I hope all is well, cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, happy you enjoyed. All is well thank you and hope the same for you too :) Cheers!

      Delete
  18. A lovely visit to the park, Denise! I have been going there my whole life and really love it even down through its continuation through the Blue Ridge Parkway. When our children were small we camped at Big Meadows and took a tour of Camp Hoover. It was in a lovely area with a beautiful stream nearby. We were able to go inside and view the cabin. When we got back from this tour it was pouring rain and our whole tent was so wet we had to pack up and leave. Thank you for reminding me of this time so many years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen :) How wonderful you and the children went camping. I never knew of Camp Hoover and will definitely keep that in mind. Oh no on the soggy tent! Thank you my friend. So happy this post brought back a lot of good memories.

      Delete
  19. Dear Denise :=)
    I don't live anywhere near a National Park which is a great shame when I see the beautiful views and landscape in some of yours. The tunnel was a great achievement and I would not hesitate to pass through it after having passed through many long tunnels in the Alps I don't wonder why you make this trip now and again, it is a beautiful place. Pity you did not see any wildlife, but you saw a happy dog which I also enjoyed seeing.
    All the best
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sonjia, the tunnels through the Alps are an incredible feat. I remember going through one on vacation before I met my husband. It was incredible! Yes, seeing a dog is always a joy for me. Thank you and all the best to you also.

      Delete
  20. Lovely photos and interesting history, although I find it upsetting that people were displaced from their homes and ancestral land to make the park. Somehow that doesn't seem right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way Sandra. No, not right at all! I never knew this history until I started researching for my posts.

      Delete
  21. My special place! You really should go to Camp Hoover. You can hike there or reserve a seat on the bus that goes there in the summer for a ranger-led tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recommendation Linda and the info. I would certainly love to visit this camp :)

      Delete
  22. You take the best rides, Denise and I love it when you share them with us! I learn things, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s great Jeanie, it makes me happy that you enjoy my posts. I feel the same way when visiting yours :)

      Delete
  23. We visited Shenadoah NP and much of the Skyline Trail years ago (with the RV Parked on one end, not pulling it) staying several days and going back to parts of the park each day. -- it is so beautiful; we loved our time in that area. I remember a visitor center somewhere in the park that had a lot of information about the displaced families. I felt (but don't know this for sure) that this was something they added at some point to the displays when people wanted (rightly) recognition for these people who gave up so much for all of our sakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, I am so glad you have enjoyed the park :) Those people certainly deserve to be recognized, very much so!

      Delete
  24. I sure would enjoy the views and the drive...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, I wonder if Mary's Rock is named after Mary Ingles...captured by the Indians. James Akexander Thom wrote a novel, Follow the River...it is about her. They made a movie but it did not do the book.justice. she is a real.person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this info Rose :) after I read your comment I looked her up. What an amazing story of survival! I am going to add a link to my post when I get a chance. Thanks again so much for sharing this, much appreciated!

      Delete
  26. I'm not great with tunnels but the engineering to achieve a route through the mountain without destroying such a lovely area would be worth any discomfort I might feel. The national park looks wonderful and I can see why you enjoy visiting. Thank you for sharing the photos and information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Beverley, glad you enjoyed :) I am used to going through that tunnel and it doesn’t take long to be get through, but certainly understand the discomfort.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!