Monday, April 29, 2024

MONDAY MORNING RECIPE POST - SOFT APPLE COOKIES

I was very happy with these cookies, different to any cookie we have tried before.  Not too sweet and more like a miniature cake than a cookie. I found the recipe on a YouTuber’s video called Cooking Lyrics, and you can watch if you click here.


Soft Apple Cookies:


2 eggs at room temperature 

100g or 1/2 cup (or 3.5 ozs. sugar)

Pinch of salt

100g (or 3.5 ozs.) butter, softened 

320 to 340g plain flour (or 2-1/4 cup to 2-1/2 cups of all-purpose flour, or 11 ozs.)

14g (or 3 teaspoons) baking powder

2 apples (I used Granny Smith)

Icing/confectioner sugar for dusting cookies after baking


Preheat oven to 180 deg C (Or 350 to 365 deg F (my oven is on the cool side so I used 365 deg F - I will leave it to you to be the judge on the heat you use - temperatures are a guide-line).

Add 2 eggs to a mixing bowl, also a pinch of salt and all the sugar. Using an electric mixer beat until sugar is dissolved and mixture looks light.

Add the softened butter until thoroughly mixed.

In a separate bowl thoroughly mix the baking powder into the flour.

Add half the flour mixture and mix into the eggs until combined. Add the remaining flour, this time folding in with a spatula until combined.

Peel and core the 2 apples. Cut into small dice and fold into the batter. 

Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.

Using a spoon, scoop up your apple mixture and put onto the baking tray in mounds, leaving a 2-inch space between them.

Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.  It’s always hit and miss for that first batch. They looked light on the top but were brown on the bottom. I took them out of the oven and they were done. The second batch I left them in a couple of extra minutes, and they browned more. Here again I will let you be the judge. The timing is only a guide.

Carefully transfer to a cooling rack until you can try one.

Using a small strainer, sprinkle icing sugar on top of all the cookies before serving. 

It goes great with a cup of coffee or tea.  

I recommend watching the video first, just to get a clearer idea of the steps in the recipe, or if I wasn’t clear enough when writing out these instructions.

Changes made: I didn’t have any plain/all-purpose flour. I used self-rising and left out the baking powder.

I also had no icing/confectioner’s sugar, so before baking I sprinkled on regular sugar and they were great. I made two batches. The second batch I left the sugar off and they still tasted very yummy. (Added note: see Donna’s comment about making confectioner’s sugar. Such a great idea, thank you Donna!)

The batter seemed a bit stiff so I used a few drops of milk until I got the consistency I wanted. 

A commenter at the video site said they used half regular sugar and half brown sugar, and that they tasted like a caramel apple. I might give it a try next time.

Everyone’s taste is different but we gave these cookies a 10 out of 10. Different to any cookie we have had before, and tasted like miniature cakes with delicious bits of cooked apple inside. As mentioned before, not too overly sweet so you can add a little more sugar for your own taste.

One of these makes a lovely snack. I also ate one for breakfast along with a container of lemon-flavored Greek Yogurt. It was a delicious combination.

It looks like this is good to freeze. I didn't want to leave a whole batch out. I froze them after baking the day before, took one out and microwaved it for 30 seconds. It was as delicious as if it were fresh out of the oven.  That’s when I had it for breakfast with the lemon yogurt. 

If you are not keen using the microwave, it thaws out pretty quickly, but you can always leave one to thaw the night before in the fridge and take it out to come to room temperature. Or pop it in a toaster oven to heat up a little.

This is the full address to the YouTube video.

https://youtu.be/dOR_i8waGU4?si=zCYsgaSBYvwVkGJd




  

44 comments:

  1. They look and sound good. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound and look good Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look sooooo good, and this could be done with my all purpose IBS flour. the name of it has escaped my OLD memory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of IBS flour before Sandra, glad you could use it to make these :)

      Delete
  4. They sound and look so lovely! Perfect for afternoon tea or even breakfast on the go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They sound delicious and the picture sure looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look wonderful!
    To make your own confectionery sugar just throw several cups (2 to 4) of granulated sugar in a processor...Add 1/4 cup cornstarch...and pulse it. Wha Lah! There you go! Easy.
    These look wonderful! My daughter's favorite flavor...apple!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna, and for that great tip also!!! I have never heard about that before. Sending hugs :)

      Delete
  7. Wygląda pysznie , lubię takie słodycze. Spróbuję upiec . Miłego tygodnia życzę:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękuję bardzo :) Cieszę się, że podoba Ci się wygląd tych jabłkowych ciasteczek.

      Delete
  8. Yummmmmy we are cookies monsters here and add apples and we go crazy
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first time I have baked cookies with apples Cecilia. I really enjoyed them :) Sending hugs!

      Delete
  9. These look and sound really delicious. I'm saving this one for fall and apple season (although I know I can get good Grannys at any time!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would be great during the Fall Jeanie :)

      Delete
  10. How interesting. I've never had an apple cookie. They do sound good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first time cooking these with an apple also :) Thanks Ellen!

      Delete
  11. You had me at a cake like cookie, Denise. Though my guys have to have chocolate, Granny Smith apples are their favorites. Maybe I could throw a few chocolate chips in to make the cookie monsters happy! Thank you for another great tea cookie idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Martha Ellen :) I thought to add chocolate to half a batch. Gregg doesn't like chocolate and I decided not to add them, this time, lol!

      Delete
  12. They look delicious. I could eat those at any time of the day x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow those sound good, must give them a try, thanks. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Diane, hope you enjoy :)

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Thank you Rose, I was hopeful they would turn out so :)

      Delete
  15. I am looking forward to making these. sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, hope you enjoy them as much as we did :)

      Delete
  16. I've watched various cooking videos on YouTube. This sounds simple, which is up my alley. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simple is always a good way to go, and you are very welcome. Thank you Carol :)

      Delete
  17. Fine home-baked cookies are always welcome with coffee. Thank you for the recipe. I think I'll try rhubarb... it's just ready for harvest in the garden :-)
    Many greetings to you from Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings Viola :) using rhubarb is a great idea! Thank you!

      Delete
  18. They resemble flaky biscuits. They sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!