Monday, April 1, 2024

MONDAY RECIPE POST - WHITE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS

Happy 1st Day of April! I hope you have had a great weekend, and I wish you all a very happy month of April!

This is an old recipe from my other blog, now closed. We haven't made any new dishes this week as unusual for us we have eaten out a few times when out and about. On other days we have stuck to light fair - because of all that eating out - and had salads and soup and veggie only meals, all simple throw-togethers. Today's recipe comes from Joyful Mamma's Kitchen hosted by Alexis.


White Chicken Enchiladas - original recipe found here.

10 soft taco shells
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.

Mix chicken and 1 cup of cheese.  Roll up in tortillas and place in pan.

In a saucepan melt butter, stir in flour and cook 1 minute.  Add broth and whisk until smooth.  Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly.

Stir in sour cream and chilies.  Do not bring to a boil, you don't want curdled sour cream.

Pour over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.

Bake 22 minutes and then under high broil for 3 minutes to brown the cheese.


This was very tasty.  While I took the hot dish out of the oven for it to cool a little, Gregg offered to make the salad, and you can basically see what he made in the photo above.

If you look at the original recipe at Alexis' website, there are very good tips about this dish.  I read that you can't really freeze as is, rather you can make the enchiladas without the sauce.  You can make the whole dish up to 24 hours ahead but if you want to freeze the meal, you can do so, but stop short of making the cream sauce, just freeze the enchiladas.  

You make the sauce the day you serve, first thawing the enchiladas overnight and then cook according to the original instructions. It might help to take them out of the fridge half an hour before putting in the oven.

When I fix this another time, I will halve the recipe just for the two of us, make one batch of enchiladas to serve that day and put the rest - minus sauce - in the freezer.  






46 comments:

  1. I printed this and I'm going to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes but if I remember correctly, I only ate one-and-a-half and saved the rest for snacking. Heated up the next day, it was still as tasty :) They weren’t the large tortillas shells., the in between ones. It all depends on how hungry you are.

      Delete
  3. I am glad that you both enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a perfect lunch to have

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks and sounds very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy April to you too. I think once spring arrives and with it the good weather (hopefully!), we enjoy lighter meals more. I always tend to put weight on over the winter months when eating comfort food but it balances itself out come the better weather when food intake lessens. Mind you, cheese, cream and butter, hmmm, not sure I'll lose any lbs but it does look good haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would enjoy this meal, yum! Thanks for sharing. Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad and you are very welcome :) I wish you the same.

      Delete
  8. YUM!! This looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have made chicken enchiladas several times and enjoyed them. Maybe it’s time to do them again. Before I retired, most of the guys who worked for me were from South America and the Argentinians and Chileans scoffed at the mere idea of anything but beef. I think they get steak for their first meal out of the womb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s interesting David, I would thoroughly enjoy a truly authentic meal. We try to keep the red meat to a minimum these days. I also enjoy going meatless :)

      Delete
  10. I need to buy a rotisserie chicken and make these, this is one thing we do eat and I had forgotten about it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A rotisserie chicken is always a great time saver :) glad you can eat this.

      Delete
  11. So, that's how you make enchiladas. Interesting recipe. I'll keep this in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds and looks like a delicious dish! Hope you enjoy your spring season!

    xoxo, Midori

    https://www.anenglishgirlrambles2016.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds and looks like a delicious dish, hope you are enjoying your spring season!

    xoxo, Midori

    https://www.midorilinea.com/blogs/midori-linea/my-daughters-turns-one-photoshoot

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look delicious. I'm showing D in the hope it might mean they are on our eating list very soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You guys must be amazing hosts! I'm wishing you a beautiful spring. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We try our best Cloudia and thank you for the vote of confidence. I am wishing you the same my friend :)

      Delete
  16. Happy 1st Day of April to you too! Thank you for sharing this delightful recipe from Joyful Mamma's Kitchen. White Chicken Enchiladas sound like a perfect comfort food option, especially with the creamy sauce and cheesy topping. It's wonderful to hear that it was tasty and accompanied by a fresh salad made by Gregg.

    Read my new blog post: https://www.melodyjacob.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melody, very much appreciate your comment. I look forward to returning the visit. Than you for the link.

      Delete
  17. I hope you had a lovely Easter weekend.
    Wishing you a happy new month of April.
    Many thanks for the recipe.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did thank you Jan, and I I hope you did too :) Thank you and you are very welcome, I wish you the same. All the best!

      Delete
  18. Enchiladas are one of our favorites, Denise. Thank you for the recipe that I'm sure my family will love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, do hope you like this recipe Martha Ellen :)

      Delete
  19. Looks so good. I have to figure out how to make smaller portions!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness, the chicken enchiladas look amazing. I just had a feast of Mexican food this afternoon. My son treated me, and it sure was good.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful! Gregg and I used to go into Old Town to the Mexican Restaurants there, great memories!

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!