Monday, April 15, 2024

MONDAY MORNING RECIPE POST - new post -

 This is another old recipe as I haven't made any new ones this past week. I am thankful to my old blog for being able to transfer recipes I haven't shared here yet.


Crockpot French Dip Sandwiches - serves 8

You can find the original recipe at Valerie's Kitchen, link here.

4 lbs. beef roast (rump, sirloin tip, or other)
1 (14.5 ounce) can or 1-3/4 cups beef broth
1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed French onion soup
1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
8 French rolls
2 tablespoons butter
Creamy Horseradish Spread:
           1/2 cup sour cream, light or regular
           1 tablespoon creamed horseradish


Add beef broth, French onion soup, beer, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder to the slow cooker.  Whisk to combine.

Trim excess fat from the roast if necessary and add to the liquid.  Cook on low setting for 7 to 9 hours.

Combine the sour cream and creamed horseradish in a small bowl.  Cover and refrigerate.

Transfer meat from the slow cooker to a cutting board.  Slice on the diagonal and transfer sliced meat back to the cooking liquid. (I would chop the meat into smaller pieces for sandwiches.)

Preheat oven broiler.  Spread butter onto sandwich rolls and broil till nicely browned.

Assemble sandwiches by filling the sandwich rolls with some of the meat, spread with creamy horseradish to taste, and serve with the au jus for dipping.

Adapted from allrecipes.com.  


This was a keeper!  I served it with coleslaw. The rolls we used were Maiers Steak Rolls which toast nicely in the oven.

This is the second time we have had this meal as there were lots of leftovers from dinner last night. We will be having one more meal over the weekend and freeze the rest.  I will freeze the steak and the au jus separately.

For lunch today I sprinkled a little shredded sharp cheddar on the bread before toasting.  I also used the Horseradish cream minus sour cream.





44 comments:

  1. Not for me, but I am glad that you and Gregg enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love these kind of sandwiches! Arby's has one and we used to order it often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good aren't they Ginny :) We haven't been to Arby's in a long time. We will have to try it again.

      Delete
  3. A tasty and satisfying lunch:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness...this looks so delicious!
    Thanks for the recipe!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you think so Donna, and you are very welcome. Sending hugs! :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds delicious. I was first drawn to the coleslaw though. One of my favorites. I'm wondering if you can taste the beer at all. I can't stand the taste or smell of beer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a while since I tried this Ann, but I seem to remember thinking there was a slight flavor of beer to it, but only enough that it was more in the background. You might leave it out and add vegetable or beef broth. It would still be a very good dish :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds delicious, thanks for sharing!
    Take care, enjoy your day and have a happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Eileen and thank you. I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  7. Looks like some good eats. Hubby used to get a French Dip back when we used to go out eat. Years ago. He loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ivy and thank you :) We don't eat out as much anymore, but I know we would enjoy ordering this. It's fun to go out and eat, on special occasions it's great, but we are enjoying being at home a tad more these days.

      Delete
    2. I get that. We did get subs last night and ouch on the price. Nuts to that nonsense.

      Delete
  8. I totally love steak. That looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie, it's a lovely treat to eat steak :)

      Delete
  9. Looks like a delicious and filling sandwich. Thank you for sharing, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Beverley and thank you :)

      Delete
  10. WOW this is a keeper and you displayed it beautifully.
    Nice to have leftovers to defrost for a quick meal
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cecilia, I appreciate that! I love leftovers, especially when the day has been busy, or just when you want to take it easier and not spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Hugs to you too :)

      Delete
  11. Looks good. I look for recipes in my blog too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine, it's a good way to find a favorite meal quickly isn't it?

      Delete
  12. Sounds and looks delicious, may just borrow that recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you are very welcome. I hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete
  13. I could sink my teeth into one of these sandwiches! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, I haven't had a french dip sandwich in a long time. This looks so good. It is a tradition in our family to cook french onion soup on Christmas Eve. The cole slaw adds a little something extra too. You're such a good cook, Denise.

    Have a blessed week.

    ~Sheri

    **I wanted to let you know that I shared a poem on my post today that I read on one of your blog posts. It's just one of the many fantastic poems that you share with us from time to time. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheri, now that's a lovely tradition! Thank you for the compliment, I enjoy cooking and picking out recipes to try. I agree about the coleslaw. How lovely that you chose the Shel Silverstein poem. So glad you enjoyed it enough to share on your blog. You have a blessed week also :)

      Delete
  15. Wygląda pysznie . Dziękuję za przepis :) Miłego tygodnia życzę:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cieszę się, że podoba Ci się ten przepis. Dziękuję bardzo. Życzę dobrego tygodnia :)

      Delete
  16. Denise this sandwich I'm sure it's amazing. I know a lot about sandwiches and from the ingredients I understand that it is worth it. Have a nice week Denise 🌷🧡!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katerina, we enjoyed it very much. You have a nice week also :)

      Delete
  17. I love French dip. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Jeanie, I'm happy you like the look of it :)

      Delete
  18. Thank you for sharing, Denise.
    Bon Appetit!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Jan and thank you! All the best to you also :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!