Tuesday, April 16, 2024

MORE FLOWERS FROM OUR LAST TRIP TO GREEN SPRING GARDENS

 After we continued on from the house in my last post at the garden, we came across this flowering bush. Its scent was heady, very fragrant and it towered over us. 


It is Koreanspice viburnum, also known as Arrowood, and a member of the elderberry family. Its botanical name is Virburnum carlesii. 

Described as rabbit-proof and attractive to butterflies and caterpillars, it also has a beautiful fall folliage. Only female plants produce the berries.


I liked these so much I couldn't stop taking photos of them.


One collage of two and then I will move on.


The holly bush was next to the viburnum.  It wasn't until I looked closely that I realized all the bees were on the holly bush. I was surprised because with the fragrance on the viburnum, I thought they would have been more attracted to that.  


Perhaps you can help me identify this one correctly. I couldn't decide whether it was a Chinese holly or a Needlepoint holly. I checked several sites and there were those with leaves that were more familiar to me and had more spikes on them. I remember this being laden with red berries in the fall. This was the first time I had noticed their flowers...


and then the bees.


You can't really tell by my photos but there were literally dozens of them. I noticed in the above photo, there is a small insect in frame also.

Another tulip...


and another.


It was also very nice to see the daffodils still blooming in various areas of the garden.




Below this plant is a new one to me today. I may not have noticed it before. It is called Martin's Spurge, also known as Mediterranean Spurge. Botanical name: Euphorbia characias subsp.wulfenii. 


Its small flowers attract hummingbirds and butterflies. Touching this plant is most definitely not recommended as its sap is poisonous. The website link I have added to the name above, encourages the wearing of gloves to avoid contact with its sap. I liked this photo because of the red tulip in the background. It is a screen shot of a larger photo I took. 


I don't remember seeing these tulips here before, but I could have missed them. I thought they were rather nice among the Grape hyacinth


And on that note, I will finish for today. There are still flowers to share. Eventually I will do another blog post on those.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your week is going well for you all.






54 comments:

  1. I don't remember ever seeing either of these trees. But I will be on the lookout for the Viburnum, now that I know what it looks like. Very pretty. When I snapped a blooming tree a few years ago, the bees left it and all swarmed on me. I cannot run anymore, but I did some strong batting and waving. I guess the bees all stayed where they were for you! Very nice shots of them! the spurge is kind of creepy looking to me, but the photo is gorgeous with the tulip behind it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, the bee swarm would be very scary. Fortunately they leave me alone and I have only ever been stung once and I think that's because one got caught up in a tea towel I was using. I can't run anymore either :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. They are, so uplifting when I am outside enjoying them. Nature's gifts can be very soothing :) Thanks Cloudia!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful to see Denise. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Margaret, and thank you :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the plenty of spring love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Roentare :) glad you enjoyed.

      Delete

  5. What a truly lovely garden tout. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are all so pretty and the bees ar busy. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The viburnum is spectacular. It's so good to see bees and other pollinators out and about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice, I was surprised to see so many out this early, but we have had a few nice days lately and quite warm :)

      Delete
  8. Everything looks so pretty. That first one though is very striking. I wouldn't mind having that in my yard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all the flowers, they are all looking beautiful!
    Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the close-ups. I'm the same wan with the camera and taking shots. So much fun. Cheers, lvy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rabbit-proof and attractive to butterflies and their larvae seems like a winning combination to me. The caterpillars should then provide food for birds and their young so it’s a winning combination. I hope they don’t spray the bush when the caterpillars emerge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true David, it's a win-win! The gardens seem to be very careful with sprays and I don't think they use anything toxic as they all seem to be trying to encourage those butterflies and other insects, plus the insect hotels scattered around the gardens these days. My hope anyhow and it would be good to ask next time I see one of the staff or volunteers.

      Delete
  12. LOVE the blooms, so pretty. My yard is so bare since moving here in Dec. But I am looking at it as a blank canvas. Right now I have a white iris in bloom...lol. I have seeds out but gotta wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A blank canvas sounds really nice Pam and that white iris sounds super! Always a wait and see isn't it? I'm doing the same thing now but will be off to the flower nursery soon.

      Delete
  13. That tree is very pretty. I liked the tulips too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, I love going there. Always something different blooming :)

      Delete
  14. Beautiful photo's of the flowers, thank you for my flower garden "fix" for today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome and thank you! I need my own flower garden fixes :)

      Delete
  15. You spent a lot of time and work to bring these photos to us. The information you give is key to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. gorgeous images of spectacular flowers. i am not familiar with arrowood, but it is so pretty, i too would have taken a million pictures. i noticed the "little" bug, put only after you pointed it out...funny, isn't in!! beautiful flowers, i am glad i did not miss them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie :) Yes, I often see something in a photo later on when I put it on a larger screen. I am always looking for details in my photos, a habit I began years and years ago.

      Delete
  17. The tulips are pretty. It's good to look closely at flowering shrubs too. Thank you for your interesting blog post today and for the information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Linda, and so glad you enjoyed my post :) Thank you very much!

      Delete
  18. most of the gorgeous flowers you showed today are unfamiliar to me. they are all stunning, the spurge is really odd and beautiful. I love it. the arrorwood I have heard the name but never seen one and wow do I like best of all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The arrowwood is a favorite of mine also, and I low its scent. Thanks Sandra, so glad you enjoyed all the flowers :)

      Delete
  19. Piekne kwitnące rośliny.Wiosna to bardzo radosny czas. Twoje fotografie są super.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Zgadzam się, wiosna to moja ulubiona pora roku. Dziękuję i życzę dalszego dobrego tygodnia.

      Delete
  20. I'm terrible at identifying plants so no help from me. I do love your tulips -- I can't have those here because the deer devour them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie, I appreciate that you looked at them. I have heard all about those deer and their love of tulips. I have a friend who planted at least 50 of them, and one morning she came out to see pfttt! Naughty deer :)

      Delete
  21. Denise you have a most creative photographer's eye capturing each bloom perfectly.
    You described the aroma perfectly too
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet of you to say Cecilia, thank you so much :) Hugs from me too!

      Delete
  22. I wouldn't mind one of those flowering bushes in our back acre. Beautiful plants for our eyes to enjoy. Thank you, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen and you are very welcome :) I would like one too!

      Delete
  23. I just posted a single pic of a viburnum bloom...daughter's are bloom and I can smell them in the back yard. I sure enjoyed the photos here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, I'll be coming on over to check that out. Glad you enjoyed my photos, thanks Rose!

      Delete
  24. They are heart warming. I love the delicate spring flowers. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Really lovely flowers. Too bad the computer can't carry the smell! Have a nice day Denise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katerina, I'm so glad you enjoyed them. Yes, but who knows, maybe one day we will be able to have computers with all the senses :)

      Delete
  26. You took some great photos, Denise. I especially love the one with the bee feeding on the flower nectar.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!