Monday, April 8, 2024

MONDAY RECIPE POST - CUCUMBER, CHICKPEA SALAD WITH FETA - SERVES 4

Wanting something different in the way of salads, I found this one at Eating Well. We both gave it a 10 out of 10 and will be adding it to our make again folder. It would be great for company and I would think you could make it up the day before to make things easier. It is relatively simple to put together also. 

An added benefit is that, as read on the recipe, it is sesame-free, nut free, soy-free, vegetarian, egg-free and gluten free, if you have to watch out for such things.

You can find the original recipe here

 

Cucumber Chickpea Salad with Feta and Lemon

Serves 4 and 183 calories per serving.


2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

2 tablespoons lemon juice

¼ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon ground pepper

1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained 

2 cups diced cucumber (we always use a hot house cucumber)

⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese

¼ cup finely chopped red onion

¼ cup diced red bell pepper

2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill


Stir oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper together in a large bowl. Add chickpeas, cucumber, feta, red onion, bell pepper and dill; toss to coat.

That's it!



I read some comments at the website and one person said they added a little more lemon juice. This would be to taste but we found it fine as is.

Someone else substituted mint for the dill. 

Instead of the sweet bell pepper, another commenter substituted sun-dried tomatoes, along with added white pepper and Aromat, on top of the salt and black pepper in the ingredients. Instead of the dill she added fresh marjoram, sage and some basil. 

It can be used for either a side dish or a main meal.

I would think this is a one of those recipes where you can cater it to your own taste.  We both thought the dressing was perfect for this salad, very light and refreshing.

We didn’t change anything about this recipe, and found it suited our taste perfectly.


I try to remember to put the full address down, in case you would like to copy and paste instead of using the link at the beginning of the recipe.

https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/8053923/cucumber-chickpea-salad-with-feta/



40 comments:

  1. I would leave the cucumber out, but otherwise it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue :) this recipe is ideal for changing things around.

      Delete
  2. Really healthy and pretty. But my favorite is your measuring spoon logo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s great Ginny and thank you, the spoon logo is a favorite of mine also :)

      Delete
  3. That looks like a fantastic salads to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious and very moreish. I love feta cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Janice, thank you :) Feta is an excellent addition to this salad.

      Delete
  5. If it has chickpeas and feta cheese count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. most of this I can eat in small amounts of I chew it to bits. thanks, this I can add to my sometimes list for IBS... I just printed the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to know that Sandra. You are very welcome :) I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  7. A delicious and healthy salad, thanks for sharing.
    Take care, have a great day and happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen and you are very welcome. I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  8. Yum! I think I made something similar in the past. Or at least I made a salad that chickpeas and other stuff in it...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Ann, I think I did too but I can't remember much about it :)

      Delete
  9. Bardzo lubię sałatki. Wypróbuję ten przepis. Miłego tygodnia żyvzę:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bardzo się cieszę, że spodobał Ci się wygląd tego przepisu. Dziękuję bardzo, mam nadzieję, że Ci się spodoba.

      Delete
  10. This looks like a great spring/summer salad and since I have a couple of cans of chickpeas may give it a try. We would need to find a diffferent cheese as neither of us are feta cheese fans😟

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! It is so easy to change ingredients, cheese included :)

      Delete
  11. That's a very 'free' salad. :) Looks refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed Ellen :) an appropriate description.

      Delete
  12. I would love it but my other half does not like feta!! Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane! It took me a long time to try Feta and it's still not my favorite but I enjoyed it in this salad. Easy to change any of the ingredient choices and I expect it will be even more delicious with your own favorites.

      Delete
  13. You always make the best salads, Denise. Those look like garbanzo beans. My mom used to put those in her salads as well. I wonder if they are the same thing as chick peas? Thanks for the sweet memories. Have a terrific week.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheri, that's very sweet of you to say. Yes, chick peas are garbanzo beans. My other half asked me the same thing. How lovely your mother used to make them. Sweet memories indeed :) You have a terrific week also my friend.

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Thanks Pamela, I thought it was too, and the dressing light and refreshing and very tasty :)

      Delete
  15. Oh yeah, love me some garbanzo beans. I also love them toasted with a little spice and salt. Delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello! Denise, this looks delicious! Thank you for sharing. I am bookmarking it now! Have a cozy evening, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Billie Jo, you are very welcome :) and I hope you like it. You have a cozy evening too my friend.

      Delete
  17. That would have gone well today! We are in a heat wave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting Jenn, we also had a hot day today :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!