Friday, February 17, 2017

PHOTO FROM LAST SUMMER AND A RAMBLE


This is a photo of one of the restaurants when we went down south last summer.  We have never eaten there but have walked down to see the boats tied up.  Occasionally a boat will come in and we watch them drag it out of the water onto a special flat-bed usually hooked up to a truck.  It's interesting to see the process for non-boat people like us.  

Son came over on his day off and helped his dad cart down an old desk out of his old bedroom from when he lived here, years ago now.  We had breakfast together, caught up on his week as we usually do and it was a fun get-together as it usually is.  I might be prejudiced but he is fun to talk to, is a wonderful conversationalist and has a great sense of humor.  His visits are a tonic. Next time we get together we're hoping we can go out as a foursome.  Because of his work hours he often has a day off when his sweet wife is working, so when we all do get together it is always a treat.

And talking about sweeties, my niece in Germany called.  We often have lovely chats thanks to Facetime.  Always bless this wonderful technology when we can talk face to face, next best thing to being in the same room and hard to imagine all the miles between us.  Our niece also has a great sense of humor, is a wonderful conversationalist and has us laughing many times.  An hour-and-a-half can go by fast.  We are sowing the seeds for getting together again.  Can't be too soon for me.

Yesterday we met up with a friend and had lunch.  A restaurant I found on a blog and as it was in the same town as our friend, I suggested we go there.  I'll tell you more on Monday when I share photos of the meal.  It involved a lovely drive through the prettiest countryside to pick up our friend, a short trip to the restaurant and after our meal a cup of tea at our friend's house, and then another nice trip home.  Even though it was during rush hour we were driving against traffic and it was smooth sailing.  Put my feet up once we got home and took a nap!

One exciting trip to the dump to take said desk mentioned in my second paragraph, and filled the van up to the gills with items we couldn't give away but were recycled at the dump.  

Had phone chats with other friends and there you go.  That's been my week up to now.  It was a good one.  Hope yours has been too.




40 comments:

  1. Hi Denise, how lovely it is when family call by and spend some time with you, love it when my daughter and grand daughters call by. Glad you had a good meal, friends are also so important in our lives. Regards John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, I agree wholeheartedly and lovely that you get to see your daughter and grand daughters.

      Delete
  2. What a dreamy, inviting place on the water! Can you tell us how far "south" it is? Still in Virginia? Have a super weekend; I think we'll have some nice weather! Sandy in central NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely and yes still in Virginia. You can find this place on the Lynnhaven Inlet turning first left as you get over the new bridge in Virginia Beach. We're having great weather today up in Northern Virginia :)

      Delete
  3. so beautiful picture. I love the reflection in water
    best regards
    susa from Hamburg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good that you get along so well with family!

    The restaurant looks inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise, catching up with family and friends is a great way to spend the week and so is going out to lunch at a new place :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That restaurant looks charming. I want to go there! Can't wait to read about your French restaurant experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a good week you had! I know about having a good son who is hard working; we are both so blessed! though I have an iPad, I have never used Facetime! We do not have any French restaurants around here, so I will be interested to see your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear about your blessing too Ginny :) and I know you have many blessings in your family :))) It took me a while to use my iPAD but I use it more than my laptop now.

      Delete
  8. I love the reflections in your photo, Denise! I use Skype and it is great for communicating with people! I do video chat with two blogging friends once a week (separate chats, as they don't know each other). It is a wonderful tool. I hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, I used to use Skype, and then my computer crashed and I lost it. Could have downloaded it again I suppose but by that time I discovered how nice Facetime was. Hope your weekend was a great one :)

      Delete
  9. I love it when you write about your family and local things. These posts are always so happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you enjoy it Valerie. I try to keep them upbeat.

      Delete
  10. you are about the fifth person in blog land that has mentioned purging old stuff out of the house, I am doing it to.. your family sounds like fun and hope you get to go out with both soon. I love that photo and would like to eat there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That time of year I guess :) I feel very blessed with my family. Thanks Sandra!

      Delete
  11. the photo of the restaurant is really pretty! the color of the lights and the glistening water this should be in an ad for them. :)
    my son, Kyle, is my only child and even though he lives at home I don't get a lot of time with him. sitting down to lunch or dinner with him puts a smile on my face and makes my heart happy. :)
    sounds like you've had a very enjoyable week. hope you enjoy your weekend as well!
    hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie, I did like how the picture turned out. Sweet to see you feel the same way about Kyle, makes my heart happy just reading about it. We had a great weekend, and I hope you did also :)

      Delete
  12. It's nice to have friends and a son with a sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a cool place to eat, right on the water! With a side-show of boats being taken out of the water, like you saw.

    Lovely to be able to spend nice time, with children and relatives. And isn't today's technology wonderful... For staying in touch... We, or I anyway, often bemoan how technology has taken over the world, as it were. But I must remember the wonnnnderful things, it has given us. Blogs even! :-)

    "Put my feet up once we got home and took a nap!"

    So happy to see you say that! A nap, after an eventful day, sounds good to me! In fact, I have always needed a rest or nap time, every day. :-) My children and grand children knew, this was necessary. They knew they needed to nap themselves, or play quietly in their rooms, while I had my hour. And they did. :-)

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time we go down that way we will go there and let you know. Yep, naps are good :)

      Delete
  14. Sounds like a good week to me...I bet your son is fun to be with/around.

    ReplyDelete
  15. yes I agree it is wonderful how we can so easier talk dn see each other through todays devices. I use Whats App quite a bit with my daughters as wel as Skype. Thanks for sharing this post. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For those of us so far away from our loved ones, best thing since sliced bread as the old saying goes :) I wish you a wonderful week too Margaret.

      Delete
  16. Beautiful waterfront restaurant...what a great-looking place to go. Love that you can be face to face with your daughter who is so far away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is my niece Marie but we are very close, she is like a daughter to me.

      Delete
  17. A lovely post ...

    Although at times we may moan about the progress of social media, the internet etc ... there are times when it is a joy 'Facetime' being one of the joys when apart from loved ones and friends

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!