Thursday, February 2, 2017

LAST POST FROM MADAME TUSSAUDS



I thought I had gotten through all my presidents, but I wanted to share with Titus John White that I did in fact take a photo but forgot to put him on my last post.  As Titus John mentioned he was a distant relative of Harry Truman, I said I would share his wax figure at the beginning of this post.  Here you go John.  You can read John's comment here.  Just scroll down until you find his name, Titus John White.  

President Harry S. Truman


Harry Truman became our 33rd President on April 12th, 1945.  He was born on May 8th, 1884 and grew up on the family farm in Lamar, Missouri.  He had very poor eye sight which kept him out of West Point.  Instead he enlisted in the National Guard and was an artillery commander during WWI.  You can read more about him at this link.

This is Frederick Douglass.
He was an African-American social reformer, abolitionist, orator, writer and statesman.


Juliette Gordon Low.
Founder of the Girl Scouts of America



Robert Baden-Powell.
Founder of the Boy Scouts Association.




Congress called her "The First Lady of Civil Rights" and "The Mother of the Freedom Movement."  

Mr. King was an American Baptist Minister and activist, a leader in the Civil Rights Movement. 



Malcom X.
Malcolm X was an African-American Muslim Minister and human rights activist.




Gregg with Babe Ruth,  
a famous baseball player.

Tiger Woods....famous golfer


and Alex Ovechkin, the Russian Ice-Hockey player for the Washington Capitals of the National Hockey League.



Fidel Castro was standing not too far from President Kennedy.




Here come more celebrities.  You can sit with George....


and chat with Samuel, Brad, Zac or Tom.


The incomparable Aretha Franklin and Duke Ellington.






Happy to see Elton John.



And  Taylor Swift.   


 There were other celebrities such as comedian and talk show host Stephen Colbert.



Another in the same line of work, Jimmy Fallon.



Lovely to see Al Roker from the Today Show.



The last notable personality before we exited the exhibit was Larry King.  I took my photo....



and as I turned the corner I noticed an elbow first, and then the camera.  It was a lady taking a picture of Larry and I said, "Oh excuse me...." and held back so that she could take her shot.  Well, I was saying to myself, I thought I was a bit picky for lining up a frame.  I had been standing there for a while.  Gregg, Cuz and her husband had gone on ahead of me but I stood back.  I must have waited for at least five minutes and finally my patience slid a little.  I popped my head around the corner and said, "Excuse me, would you mind if I went by?......"  As I looked into her waxen face I heard laughter coming from a few feet away.  Gregg was saying to the staff, "Well, she's English you know, she's very polite."  More laughter as I looked again at the lady taking the photo of Larry King.  The joke was on me.



The person behind the counter said they had had a lot of laughs because of their wax figure photographer, but no one had waited as long as me.  Finally caught out.  Either I need glasses (yes I do need a new prescription) or that wax figure photographer was an amazing likeness yet again, and that outfit I would have coveted in my youth.



I felt a bit like Grumpy Cat, not really. Yes they even had a wax figure of him.




So there you go, very photo heavy but I wanted to share my last post of Madame Tussauds.  Hope you enjoyed it.  

You can click on the names in red to read more information.


48 comments:

  1. I think my favorite is Aretha Franklin. I love grumpy cat too. And of course the photographer haha. These are all really amazing to me. I have noticed that there seems to be way more men in the wax figures than women

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be right Sandra, though there was one of J-Lo but her photo turned out too blurry to use here. I am definitely going to have to go back again.

      Delete
  2. I think you were fooled, by the girl-photographer, because her camera covered her face. I don't think many people would think, that the wax figures were real... Because of the impossibility of doing their faces, totally life like.

    Guess that would have, to have a death mask, to work from! ,-)

    I'd have to be restrained, going by the so-called-celebrities. I'd want to smack them all. Celebrities! UGHHHHHHHHHH...

    thank you for the tour!

    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I turned the corner and only saw a leather clad sleeve and a camera poised, and quickly stepped back as I did not want to ruin her shot. I didn't get a chance to look in her face until later. I was one of many caught out much to the amusement of the staff behind the counter. If I was one who brightened their day then I am more than happy. Also it was very dark in places, with spotlights. Some figures were more realistic than others too. All in all it was a fun place to go.

      Delete
  3. This was my favorite post in this recent series, Denise. It's not that the Presidents were not interesting, but the celebrities were fun. I really smiled at yiur story of the wax figure photographer and might also have made the same mistake😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beatrice, the presidents were a fun history lesson and the celebrities were just fun.

      Delete
  4. Grumpy Cat is a surprise! Duke Ellington was a welcome sight. The Truman one's very good too. They could have posed him holding up the Dewey Defeats Truman newspaper with that big grin.

    I wonder if the Tom Cruise one was his actual height, given his rather short stature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed to me that Tom Cruise and a few others were shorter than I realized, and I believe they copied these details to the letter.

      Delete
  5. Oh, that is so hilarious. Yes, the joke was on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The joke was definitely on me. Just happy I decided to move when I did.

      Delete
  6. These are truly amazing.
    They really are all works of art.

    I'm really pleased you shared this series of Madame Tussauds posts.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is too funny....waiting for a wax photographer...LOL Your photo of Truman...I had never seen until I seen your photograph that a neighbor of ours looks like him. I am not sure if it is just the pose or if they actually look alike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting about your neighbor. Maybe they are distant relatives like Titus John White :)

      Delete
  8. This has been such a great series, Denise! I also love Grumpy Cat, so I had to smile at the image of him! Thank you so much for sharing, and I hope you are having a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda and am happy you enjoyed this series. Grumpy Cat was a surprise as I did not expect him to be there. You have a great week too :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Denise and thank you for the image of President Truman, better looking than me, so no family cast down in the genes. Fancy being caught out by a wax figure, glad to read you were polite as being English. Love the cat. Looks as if Babe Ruth was trying to give Greg a clip on the ear with the baseball bat.All the best and thanks John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, you are very welcome and I am sure your genes are blessed in many ways :)

      Delete
  10. What a great story! I probably would have done the same thing! She does look so real. I am really amazed that they have so many current and up to date figures! I think Grumpy Cat is my favorite. Also, Aretha is in such a beautiful pose. I always loved Harry Truman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had several favorites and Aretha was one of them, Harry too. I enjoyed looking at the clothing. Even the shoes were real shoes. Definitely a fun place to look around.

      Delete
  11. Life like is an understatement. They are extremely well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a strange practice! What will future anthropologists think!

    ReplyDelete
  13. All so life like, Denise! It would be easy to mistake one of these was persons for a real one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Grumpy Cat is so funny! My husband's favorite would be Babe Ruth. :)
    the wax photographer must be very entertaining! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is funny I agree and Babe Ruth was hubby's favorite too.

      Delete
  15. This is so cool, Denise! Thank you so much for sharing these photos. Some of the figures really look real... some are so so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, some do look very real, others not so much.

      Delete
  16. Loved your post. Thanks for sharing. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am amazed each time when I realise how real most of the figures look. And the wax photographer is hilarious :)) I have enjoyed watching your photos, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved this one even more than the others -- starting with HST, because I think he was really a good president, unpretentious and genuine and did a good job since he had to learn everything on the job. And also because he has always reminded me of my grandfather. We enjoyed touring his home and museum.

    I loved Grumpy Cat and laughed at you waiting for the photographer, who really does have a great outfit. I wouldn't be too impressed with the newer celebs, but that is because I am really really old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, enjoyed reading your comment about HST. I agree with you about the celebrities. I am starting to feel a bit out of touch as many I see on the news now, I don't even recognize. I do know of Taylor Swift only through news clips. She seems to be a very talented young lady but also very savvy.

      Delete
  19. Truman was a great president. He's the one who said, "get the racisim out of the Immigration law." It took until 1965 to correct the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  20. [smiling] I can certainly understand how you thought she was a real photographer, with your focus being on the wax figure. It's sweet how you waited for so long :D)
    A fascinating place to visit for sure :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, I think they were placing bets on just how long I would have waited:)

      Delete
  21. I like the sharing of the wax photographer. I think I would be caught too. If I do visit this museum or any wax museum, I had better look more closely especially if the figures are not moving.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I will also be more aware next time. Don't think I will be caught out again :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Talking to Wax figures already Denise. Tut! Tut!
    It comes to us all eventually you know. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!