Tuesday, April 23, 2024

NATIONAL HARBOR CONTINUED...LAST POST FROM THIS TRIP

 

A restaurant I wouldn't mind trying next time we are in town.
Buddha and the Soldier/Warrior/Guard were near the entrance, a very nice welcome for customers. 
As it grew dark we came across the statue of Marilyn Monroe. In my previous post I mentioned all the heights of the statues that we saw, as they were kept true to life. She was 5 ft. 5 in. in height. This scene is from a very famous photo taken by photographer Sam Shaw. I read that it made him better known to a larger audience and plaid a roll in making Marilyn even more famous. It has been reprinted millions of times, making it one of the best known in the world. Shaw had been friends with Marilyn for quite a while before this picture was taken. Before she had her own breakthrough as an actress, she was actually Shaw's driver, since he did not have a driver's license. You can read the whole story at this website. Her sculpture is called Forever Marilyn.
After we crossed the street on our way back to our car before driving home, I looked back and saw this scene. Marilyn's real name was Norma Jean Baker and she was born in Los Angeles on June 1st, 1926. We all probably know that rather sad ending to her life and I won't go into it.  However, if you're curious you can read her biography telling about the rest of her story here. There were other much larger replicas of this statue that stood 26 feet high, and as reported, they were in Chicago-Illinois, Hamilton Township-New Jersey, Stamford-Connecticut, Palm Springs-California and Bendigo, Australia.  I am not sure whether they are still there.  The dates seemed to be long ago. Placement in Palm Springs apparently caused quite an uproar. If it is a permanent placement or a temporary one at National Harbor, I don't know.
The lady across the street certainly didn't seem to approve. You can barely see her underneath the shop light towards the right. She is to the left of the red traffic light, a few feet down on the sidewalk, standing next to the building. 
I certainly didn't notice her and she was so life-like, until you got up really close.
I remember seeing exhibits of sculptures on a trip to Florida several years ago. I'll have to share the posts as they were fantastic, life-like statues by the same man, J. Seward Johnson Jr. This lady with the groceries is called Holding Out. And of course I had a nosy inside her shopping bag.
The Capital Ferris Wheel can be seen in this photo.
More window shopping. 
We are almost back at the car having had a wonderful time walking around.



Last one driving across the Woodrow Wilson Memorial Bridge as we cross back into Virginia from Maryland. A bit blurry but it's the first half-way decent shot I have managed to get in years. 
This is the second and last part of our trip to National Harbor. We will be back again in a few months.

Thanks for looking and I hope the beginning of your week is going great.







50 comments:

  1. Denise, the walk you gave us was very beautiful.
    The statues you photographed are amazing!
    I really liked the one with the housewife holding the groceries!
    Have a nice day🌷 !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it Katerina :) Thak you very much and you have a nice day also!

      Delete
  2. That lady sure does seem to be very disapproving! One must be very, very talented to be able to make this kind of look on a person's face. As it is kind of subtle, and I would think harder to make than a smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does rather doesn't she Ginny? :) I agree, very impressive!

      Delete
  3. Definitely a wonderful trip. Thank you for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow such a wonderful post full of many nice things dear Denise .loved how you shared the statues .thanks for the link ,Marlin was super star indeed but i admit i knew little about her . this statue made by her boss is incredible and i have seen such phots of her .the other lady is so life like and seems so easy to fall into illusion for her as human :) wow
    thanks for nice virtual tour
    blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you baili, you are so kind :) and you are very welcome. They are beautifully accomplished statues.

      Delete
  5. Very interesting and nice photos. Thanks for the links..off to read and look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Margaret and thank you :)

      Delete
  6. The statues are amazing. I imagine it would be quite a shock to come across one unexpectedly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea they were on display and it was very enjoyable to find them. Thank you Janice :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for taking us along on the trip. I've enjoyed seeing everything. Those statues are fantastic. The one of Marilyn is wonderful and that lady with the groceries is really impressive. She looks so real.
    Loving all those dresses in the window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you came along with us Ann :) and so glad you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  8. Merilyn Munro's statue looks the best out of the whole lot

    ReplyDelete
  9. The statues really are quite remarkable. The image of Marilyn Monroe is one of the most recognizable of the 20th Century; perhaps surpassed only by Che Guevara. I read that Joe DiMaggio, her husband at the time, was very upset when he saw it. By today’s standards it is barely provocative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's rather tame but still caused a bit of a tado in Palm Springs when the 20 footer was installed.

      Delete
  10. Backtracked to read the first post of your March visit to National Harbor, Denise, and what a fun place to explore with all those lifelike statues. The historical ones of Churchill and Lincoln were nice, but the ones of well known, and not, figures were fun especially as these were colorfully attired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for doing that Dorothy. I'm looking forward to going back to find more :)

      Delete
  11. Marilyn continues to gather fans around the world which I find amazing. She died when I was a kid so many decades ago. Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These iconic figures retain a certain mystery about them even to this day. Thank you Carol, glad you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  12. It looks wonderfully quiet during your evening photos, Denise! I love the Marilyn statue and the lady with the groceries. What a contrast. Nice to see your lovely night shot coming into Virginia. I will have to view your past photos of National Harbor as it looks to be a great place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Martha Ellen, yes they certainly are at opposite ends of the pole :) It was certainly a very interesting place that I will enjoy exploring further.

      Delete
  13. I enjoyed the life-like statues that you shared in this post and the previous one. I prefer ones that are true to size, better than ones that are exaggerated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Linda, so glad :) I like the smaller ones also, because I can see more of the details close up, especially their faces.

      Delete
  14. The one holding groceries looks so real to me . What a neat thing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. To everything there is a good story. So each of Marylin's statues has it'saown story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I shared your first post with friends who would be traveling from Newport News to D.C. and they enjoyed some time in National Harbor. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! I added a couple of more links after I read about your friends. So glad they had fun :)

      Delete
  17. Denise what a fabuloust post. I have never been to this part of Virgina...at least not walking around. National Harbor area is very intersting. LOL I thought the lady with the groceries was real. Someone is quite talented.
    One thing I know for sure I could never stand on a street grate like M.M. I won't even walk on them. Lovely statute of Marilyn.
    Thank you for the tour.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very sweet of you to say so Cecilia, thank you and you are very welcome :) The sculptor has since passed on unfortunately but he left a wonderful legacy. We are alike as far as street grates are concerned. I'm a bit like that too.

      Delete
  18. PS I keep meaning to tell you how much I love the clever and creative way you sign your name with accompanying photo.
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, so glad you enjoy them Cecilia. Any time you want me to make you a personalized logo, let me know. I would be very happy to do that.

      Delete
  19. what a great "showing off" of the national harbor. we have visited so many times, usually at christmas and for the ICE display!! i remember seeing that restaurant, across from gaylord national hotel where we always stay. it's a great trip!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your trips there Debbie, in fact I think that's how I learned about the ice show, so a big thank you from us. It has been fun going back and look forward to future trips :)

      Delete
  20. It's fascinating to learn about the backstory behind iconic images like the one of Marilyn Monroe. The fact that she was once Shaw's driver adds an interesting layer to their relationship and the history of the photo. The statue of Marilyn, aptly named "Forever Marilyn," is a fitting tribute to her enduring legacy and the timeless allure she continues to hold. Thanks for sharing this intriguing snippet of history!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melody, I'm happy you enjoyed learning a little bit more about Marilyn :) I enjoy biographies of people. It is always interesting to find out about their lives. The statue is a lovely tribute I agree. You are very welcome, I am always happy to share what I find. Hopefully it will give an idea or two if one of our blogging friends decide to visit the area.

      Delete
  21. These were fun to look at....I would like to see them in person.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The statues are amazing. At first I thought the lady with the disapproving look was real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did look real Sandra, it was quite startling to find out that she wasn't :)

      Delete
  23. Thank you for sharing these photos, Denise. This was really interesting. That disapproving lady is almost scary. What a sad, short life Marilyn Monroe had. Her death was certainly quite suspicious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Goodness that sculpture looks so life like and you can sense her disapproval of what is going on around her. I still loved the trip around the National harbour with you. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very lifelike Beverley! Happy you enjoyed the trip. Thank you and you are very welcome :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!