Monday, November 6, 2023

MONDAY MORNING RECIPE POST - FRENCH TOAST BAKE

This was a recipe I found when looking for something to serve on Christmas morning. I am starting to think of, or at least trying to get ahead of the planning stage. It won't be made all the time and only on special occasions for company.  We have a ways to go yet but I wanted to be prepared. Made for the first time last Tuesday, October 24th, I found it at Cooktop Cove.  Its author, Jessica Jacobs, is described as the contributing author.   It was an excellent recipe, one that we both gave a 10 out of 10.  

Just as a matter of interest, I was very interested when I read that the origins of this dish originated in medieval France, where it was known as "pain perdu," meaning "lost bread."  Stale or leftover bread was used to create a delicious new dish. Rather than just using a couple of pieces of bread, for a single serving of French Toast, this serves several people in one dish. 


Breakfast French Toast Bake

1 loaf of bread (preferably slightly stale or day-old bread)

1 stick of butter (1/2 cup), melted

1 cup of brown sugar

4 eggs

1-1/2 cups of milk

1 teaspoon of vanilla

Powdered sugar, for sprinkling

Cinnamon, for sprinkling


First step is to melt the butter in the microwave.

Combine melted butter with the brown sugar, stirring until thoroughly mixed.

Take a 9 x 13 pan and pour the butter and sugar mixture into the bottom, spreading it evenly across the pan.

In a separate bowl, beat the eggs together with the milk and vanilla until they are well combined.

Lay out single slices of the thickly sliced bread in the pan, forming a layer over the butter and sugar mixture.

Gently spoon half of the egg mixture over the layer of bread, ensuring even coverage.

Sprinkle a portion of cinnamon evenly over the layer of bread and eggs.

Place a second layer of sliced bread over the existing layer in the pan.

Once again, spoon the remaining half of the egg mixture over the new layer of bread.

Cover the pan and let it chill in the refrigerator overnight, allowing the flavors to meld.

The next day, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). When baking, cover the pan for the first 30 minutes, then uncover for the remaining 15 minutes.  (It puffs up beautifully when first taken out of the oven, deflating when it cools.)

Once fully baked, take the pan out of the oven. Sprinkle powdered sugar and additional cinnamon over the top for added flavor and presentation.

Serve with warm maple syrup.


There was a packet of Hawaiian Sweet Rolls in the freezer which I wanted to use up, left over from another gathering. Because of that reason I paired the rolls with this recipe, instead of using regular slices of bread. 
After putting the melted butter/brown sugar mixture in the bottom of the dish, I cut the rolls in half and placed them in the bottom of the dish. Next, I poured half the milk/egg mixture on top of the cut open halves, placed the tops back on and poured the rest of the milk/egg over the top.  Then I used a large spoon to flatten them down slightly so that they were completely covered by the liquid.  I ended up using an extra egg and a little more milk to finish this.

I did add a teaspoon of cinnamon to the milk and eggs, and also added 1 tablespoon of vanilla instead of the 1 teaspoon (we love vanilla in this house). Blackberries and chopped walnuts finished it off very nicely, along with the warmed maple syrup.  

You could probably cut the ingredients in half and make in a smaller baking dish.  Cooking time would have to be adjusted, but not sure by how much. Keep checking towards the end of cooking time I guess.  

The full website address is below.  I am adding this when I remember, just in case you prefer to copy and paste into your search engine, rather than use the link in the beginning.

https://cooktopcove.com/2023/08/13/this-recipe-got-gobbled-up-in-record-time-not-a-trace-remained/


Thanks for looking at this week's recipe.  Have a great day everyone and Bon Appétit.




46 comments:

  1. Yum, a great dish for the holidays for breakfast or brunch. Totally decadent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Denise :=)
      The finished dish looks very appetising, and not difficult to do. In Portugal we
      have a desert which is very similar, but it is soaked in Port Wine and cinnamon first., but I am going to try making this recipe. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. That sounds delicious! I hope you like this :)

      Delete
  2. A quick and delicious bake!! I need to try this!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made something like this years ago. I love french toast. I like your idea of using the Kings Hawaiian rolls. I really like those too and I bet they added some nice flavor to this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered French Toast when I first moved here. I haven’t made it in a while. Now it’s on my list again. Thanks for reminding me Ann :)

      Delete
  4. I looks so tasty and beautiful - perfect for a special occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes your recipes look way too healthy for me. Not this week! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that makes me happy and made me laugh. Thanks Jim and Barb :)

      Delete
  6. Jestem ciekawa smaku tego dania. Na pewno jest pyszne. Pokaze Przepis mojej córce ona bardzo lubi gotować. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wspaniały! Cieszę się, że podzielisz się tym ze swoją córką. Dziękuję :)

      Delete
  7. almost as good as pecan pie, you could throw a few pecans in the brown sugar and butter. ha ha just add a little more gooey good stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, your version sounds incredible Sandra :) Thanks for the idea.

      Delete
  8. I'm thinking about what to have around for our Thanksgiving company and this looks good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made something similar once before and everyone enjoyed it. Hopefully your company will enjoy this one :)

      Delete
  9. Sounds like an interesting recipe. And filling, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This certainly is a beautiful French Toast dish--yum! You are so smart to be thinking ahead for Christmas will be here before we know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to turn over a new leaf Martha Ellen, says I with a smile :) and yes it will.

      Delete
  11. I can see why you both gave it 10 out of 10 - it look delish even in the photos! A perfect idea for the holidays. Hope your Monday and week is off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer, we were very please with how delicious it was :) Monday went great thank you, I hope yours did too and the same with your week.

      Delete
  12. Sounds good to me and great for Christmas. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful...my mouth is watering :-)))
    I know a similar recipe from my childhood... Put slices of white bread in the egg-milk mixture (lots of egg, little milk) and fry the individual slices in the pan in butter (on the stove) sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar... There was maple syrup It wasn't with us back then, but blackberries :-)) Many greetings to you from Viola.
    ... I'm looking forward to Christmas :-)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings Viola, your version of the recipe sounds delicious! Thank you so much! I also am looking forward to Christmas :)

      Delete
  14. That is a clever and delicious looking recipe. Thank you Denise. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  15. this looks and sounds so yummy and would be perfect for any special occasion...or any occasion that you would like to make special!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, we really enjoyed our 'special' occasion. Thanks Debbie :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!