Monday, November 20, 2023

MONDAY RECIPE POST - RED CURRY TOFU WITH COCONUT CHILE, CARROTS AND BOK CHOY

Another blog, another delicious recipe found here at "Eats Well with Others", hosted by Joanne.  I haven't used Tofu in a while. I haven't cooked anything new this week, so this recipe was transferred from my old blog.


Red Curry Tofu with Coconut Chile Carrots and Bok Choy

Servings: 4 to 6

Serving size: 1/4 of the recipe


For the carrots:

1 tablespoon canola oil

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce

1 tablespoon coconut milk

1-1/2 lbs. carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch lengths

1/2 red onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices

1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced


For the tofu:

1/4 cup dark brown sugar

1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce

2 tablespoons Thai Red Curry Paste

1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger

1 tablespoon Canola oil

12 ozs. super firm sprouted tofu, cut into 1-inch slices

1 head of bok choy, coarsley chopped

(I also had snow peas left over from another recipe, which I sliced and added to this mixture)

You will need enough rice depending on how many people.  I usually use Jasmine rice but also have used brown rice.  Quinoa was also suggested in the original recipe.

(Because there is just the two of us, I put 2 cups of water in a small saucepan, waited for water to boil before adding 1 cup of uncooked white rice.  Lower the heat and cook the rice according to package directions.  For us this took 20-25 minutes.)


Heat oven to 425 degrees F.

For the carrots: in a large bowl combine the oil, sugar, lime juice, soy sauce and coconut milk.  Toss together with the carrots, onion and chile.  Add salt to taste, or if watching sodium levels, leave salt out. 

Pour into a large baking pan and roast for 45 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.  Stir every 15 minutes.

While they are roasting prepare the tofu.  In a small bowl whisk together sugar, soy sauce, red curry paste and minced ginger.  Set aside.

In a large wok heat the oil over medium heat and add the tofu slices.

Sauté until lightly brown on each side, about 5 minutes per side.  Add in the bok choy, along with the snow peas if using them.  Sauté until bok choy is wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.

Stir in the sauce and coat all the vegetables thoroughly.  Cook for a few more minutes.

Serve tofu and carrots on top of a bed of rice, or Quinoa.

What did we think of this recipe?  Very much enjoyed and is in the make-again folder.  Tofu may seem bland, but it is one of those foods that takes on the flavors of the sauces and other ingredients it is being cooked with.  We are still trying to add meatless meals into the week, and this fits in perfectly.  You can, however, use any other protein, like chicken or shrimp for instance.  Any favorite will do.

That's about all I can think of but if you have any questions, please leave them in the comment section and I will do my best to answer them.

Thanks for looking,
have a great week and good appetite!




32 comments:

  1. That sounds good - though I would use vegetables other than carrots. For some reason I really don't like cooked carrot. Raw I like it, but not cooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue and so easy to change to our favorites. Happy weekend to you :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, wondering how you and Phil are? I do hope you are feeling better today? Gregg started me off being a little more adventurous, and I am grateful. I found there were so many wonderful foods out there. When we moved from California to Virginia, one of his colleagues introduced him to Vietnamese and Thai restaurants, and he always remembers how much Brad and I enjoyed our first visits to these restaurants when we joined him. That was the start of the journey :) Then when he retired he asked me to make these meals at home and I remember saying, if you help me I'll gladly look for some recipes. There was a lot more preparation than I was used to and I felt I needed the extra help. That started his adventure in cooking and it has been a whole lot of fun discovering new things.

      Delete
  3. You know I've never had tofu...your food looks very nice Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, tofu isn't everyone's cup of tea but I enjoyed it from the beginning, in all its forms :)

      Delete
  4. Lost me at...tofu...lol
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I might Donna, lol! Not for everyone I know :) Sending hugs!

      Delete
  5. It looks really good. I've tried tofu in the past and didn't care for it at all though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! It would be easy to skip on the tofu and add something you like :)

      Delete
  6. It looks nice and perfect for a vegetarian meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie :) it is. I am also looking for more vegetarian and even vegan options.

      Delete
  7. Looks delicious, I would like to try this but hubby does not like curry or tofu.
    Thanks for sharing. Have a great day and happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen :) Thai curry seems to have a different taste to Indian curry. I wonder if hubby would enjoy Thai, unless you know what their curries taste like also.

      Delete
  8. looks great to me! i have never tasted tofu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, I'm wondering if you would like tofu. It can be prepared in a lot of different ways with a lot of different flavors, you might :)

      Delete
  9. Sounds really tasty, Denise. You take the best photos of food, well of everything! Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so nice of you to say Martha Ellen :) I am always trying to make them look pretty, and take a lot of notice of other food bloggers photos and how they do theirs. Angie is one whom I think makes the most incredible food presentation.

      Delete
  10. This does look very tasty, many thanks for sharing the recipe.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Jan :) Thank you and all the best to you also :)

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you Jenn, so glad you think it looks yum :)

      Delete
  12. Red curry is Greg's go to and yellow is mine. Thanks for the recipe and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Ellen and thank you :) I always end up ordering drunken noodles when I go out, but it's been a while. I have just asked Gregg what he prefers and he said he likes both but probably red is his favorite.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!