Sunday, November 19, 2023

HAPPY SUNDAY EVERYONE - AN OLD PHOTO OF ME

I am not sure if I have shared this old photo before.  It's from my old blog and usually I indicate that I have transferred it.  It could be a repeat.

This was taken on one of my weekend trips to see family in Worcestershire.  It was in 1973, a couple of years before I met Gregg. At the time my Mum, Dad and I were living in South Devon, and I hadn't long become mobile. I had saved every penny I could to buy an old grey Mini Cooper. I loved that old car, it gave me wings and the freedom to visit any time I was invited. The distance was 158 miles and for me back then it was like driving to the other side of the moon.

My family also lived in a small village and they had farming friends down the road.  We would often walk over for a chat.  It was also a chance to see the farm animals, which was an extra bonus. There were times when we would hop on the back of their pick-up truck, and help roll out the bales of hay for the animals to feed.  I loved that!

But I especially loved it when there was a newborn lamb to be taken care of. Their farmhouse had been in their family for several generations, probably 300 hundred years old and then some.  I can't really remember what the outside looked like, maintained beautifully I know that. I do remember being impressed with how old it looked, like off a movie set, not that I thought in those terms back then. We walked across a large courtyard to reach the kitchen, which was the biggest I had ever seen.  At my age now I love these old places and would have taken in every detail, but back then I was more interested in the animals, as I am now. 

I have always thanked my father and his mother for passing on their love of animals. My mother too, especially as she did not grow up with them. After they married they adopted their first dog. I have an old photo of mum and Skipper. He was wearing dad’s old sailor hat. I will find it sometime and share. 

We also had another Skipper. I am not sure why they called him the same name. I stunned my mother years later when I described the scene, being held in her arms as a two-year old, as dad holding Skipper 2, then a puppy, was brought into the back garden and introduced to me.  I sometimes think back and remember it as clearly as the day I told my memory to my mother.

Anyhow, head in the clouds again and back to the farmhouse.  The inside walls were whitewashed and on the ceiling were low beams, something I do remember. The first thing that greeted the eyes on the other side of this large kitchen, was a walk-in fireplace. It was a couple of feet above my head and very, very wide, with a roaring fire that was extremely cozy and welcoming after coming in from the cold. We were always given a cup of hot tea and a biscuit. But the object I was really interested in, was the box placed near the fireplace filled with blankets. 

In this box were the new lambs whose mothers, for one reason or another, were not able to take care of them.  I would often be given a bottle of milk to feed them and, if I could have taken one home with me, I would have been a very happy girl. 

That never happened of course, but I was content with the opportunity of taking care of these sweet little lambs because before I knew it, the weekend was over and I was heading south again.

Thanks for visiting, happy Sunday, and 
I hope your week is a great one.




44 comments:

  1. Beautiful memories - and a gorgeous photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading about this part of your life. What fun that must have been! There are quite a few Mini Coopers driving around here. I always liked them. and now I will think of you whenever I see one. I almost missed Saturday At The Birdfeeder!! But I just went looking for it and read it. So funny! I think squirrels in sweaters and berets are just the thing. I love that one description "Expression of abject terror"!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad Ginny, thank you :) my old mini cooper was small compared to the newer versions. I like those too. I see them around here occasionally. Glad you enjoyed the bird feeder post, and a great description too. Thinking of you and Phil all the time my dear friend.

      Delete
  3. What wonderful memories these are. Love the old photo of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the story, photo and the happy memory. Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, much appreciated and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  5. Aww! What a sweet photo!! Thanks for sharing this memory...I met my Larry in the '60's...1972, we married.
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna and you are very welcome. So happy you enjoyed my memories. Wonderful, we are not too far apart in our wedding dates :) sending hugs.

      Delete
  6. you were beautiful, no wonder your hubby fell for you. i love lambs too and would jump at the chance to visit, back then and now. baby animals just melt my heart, no matter which type they are,,, i very much enjoyed your fond memories,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet thing to say, thank you Sandra :) and I feel the same way about baby animals. Happy you enjoyed my memories, they are very special to me.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely young woman you were and your love of animals shines right through the picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s so kind of you Penelope, thank you :)

      Delete
  8. Such a sweet photo of you, Denise! Those lovely memories molded you to be the kind, animal lover that you are today. Thank you for sharing such a special time in your life, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen and you are very welcome :) So glad you enjoyed my memories. They get even more special as time goes by.

      Delete
  9. Lovely memories inspired by that pretty photo of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet photo of you from the seventies! So good to document your memories from those times here. Have a wonderful new week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen :) This is a good place to get them documented, a gift for our son in the years ahead. You have a wonderful week also.

      Delete
  11. What wonderful memories to have! I love baby animals of all kinds, but the furry ones are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, they really do bring us great joy :)

      Delete
  12. Great memory. You are one of the fortunate few to have bottle fed a new born animal in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing more of yourself with us dear friend! The logo with this comment was taken in like 1980 or 81!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed Cloudia :) The logo I found at Pixabay. I forgot to identify it this time. Will go back and rectify that.

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Roentare, much appreciated :)

      Delete
  15. A lovely photograph and beautiful memories.
    Happy Sunday Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am late answering these today so I will wish you happy Saturday wishes Jan, and thank you :) kind of you to say.

      Delete
  16. This is such a nice photo of you when you were a child, Denise. I love old photos like this, they are treasures, indeed. And it was nice to hear a little about the village you grew up in and the farm animals. Isn't it something that you got your love for animals from your mom and dad? Happy Thanksgiving to a dear blog friend. I'm thankful for all your visits and comments, Denise.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheri, a good description as a lot of water has gone under the bridge since those days :) Sweet comments and I am very thankful for yours also. A little belatedly but Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  17. Thanks for sharing this vintage photo, Denise, as well as the memories of growing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, happy you enjoyed :) I hope you have gotten over the jet lag by now. You certainly had a marvelous vacation.

      Delete
  18. You are so pretty, Denise. That really is such a lovely photo of you and how wonderful that it can bring back all those memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kay and so kind of you :) photos have a way of doing that don’t they?

      Delete
  19. Well, if you've shown this before, it was before I discovered you so I'm glad it's here. What a fabulous photo. You're gorgeous, the lamb so precious and you can see the love just bursting through. I loved the story, too. I like knowing about the people whose blogs I read -- it brings them to life to know a bit of their story and past. This is terrific. I'm so glad your parents' love of animals transferred to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for all your sweet comments Jeanie :) I am so glad you enjoyed my memories.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!