Friday, November 24, 2023

HAPPY DAY EVERYONE - A POEM

To A Butterfly

I've watched you now a full half-hour,
Self-poised upon that yellow flower;
And, little Butterfly indeed
I know not if you sleep or feed.
How motionless - not frozen seas
More motionless and then
What joy awaits you, when the breeze
Hath found you out among the trees,
And calls you forth again!
This plot of orchard-ground is ours;
My trees they are, my Sister's flowers;
Here rest your wing when they are weary;
Here lodge as in a sanctuary!
Come often to us, fear no wrong;
Sit near us on the bough!
We'll talk of sunshine and of song,
And summer days, when we were young;
Sweet childish days, that were as long
As twenty days are now.










William Wordsworth (7 April 1770 – 23 April 1850) was an English romantic poet who, with Samuel Taylor Coleridge, helped to launch the romantic age in English literature with their joint publication Lyrical Ballads (1798).  Wordsworth's magnum opus is generally considered to be The Prelude, a semi-autobiographical poem of his early years that he revised and expanded a number of times. It was posthumously titled and published by his wife in the year of his death, before which it was generally known as "the poem to Coleridge".  Wordsworth was made Poet Laureate in 1843.  

You can read more if you click on his name below the poem.





34 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You are very welcome Sue :) I think William would be very happy we are enjoying his poetry after all these years.

      Delete
  2. Aw, that is lovely. Butterflies are fascinating. I can watch them for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Denise :=)
    I didn't know this W. Wordsworth poem but it is truly beautiful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The poetry is so beautiful fitting for the butterfly image

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely poem and a beautiful photo to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the image of the butterfly and knew which poem I was going to pair it with. Glad you liked both. Thank you Ann :)

      Delete
  6. Beautiful poem and photo. Take care, have a great day and happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So lovely! You too have a wonderful day, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea all that was going on in this photo. I saw a butterfly at the pollen bar, drinking it up with out a straw.. ha ha... happy butterflies make a happy world for sure

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! I don’t think I’ve heard this one before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! I am happy to have introduced it to you. Thanks Linda :)

      Delete
  10. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Gigi, I enjoyed seeing yours :)

      Delete
  11. Such a lovely poem and photograph.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, much appreciated. All the best to you also :)

      Delete
  12. Butterfly wings remind me of a stained glass window. Beautiful creatures they are. I will check the library for William Wordsworth poems. I will enjoy reading more of them. Thank you for sharing and Happy Thanksgiving .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely see that Betsy, a perfect description. Enjoy your reading and thank you :) You are very welcome and Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  13. such a lovely poem and wonderful image!! i hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie, we had a lovely Thanksgiving and I hope you did also.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful poem Denise. Some people just have the knack.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So beautiful, Denise! Wordsworth was a master--love his work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more, he was a master! Thank you Martha Ellen :)

      Delete
  16. This is so beautiful... poem and photo. I miss seeing monarchs here in Hawaii. We used to have a LOT of them when I was growing up, but now it's very rare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sad to read Kay. We really have to take care of them. Hopefully the monarchs will make a recovery :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!